shape
carat
color
clarity

Would love help buying diamond studs

Nelly4

Rough_Rock
I have made the decision to buy myself some diamond studs (while I can afford it) and I have sent off some emails for ideas about what I can get for my budget. I have approximately $1500 to spend.

I am looking for white gold, martini settings and I assume I can get around a 0.30 - 0.40ct diamond stud for that amount. (Please let me know if I am wrong)

Does anyone have any opinions on these specifications?
1st pair
0.344, G, SI1 and ideal cut
0.348, G, SI1 and ideal cut

2nd pair
0.323, F, VS2 and ideal cut

Will there be that much difference between the two pairs or does it depend on all the other specifications as well? Sorry, I'm still new to this so want to get the right ones that I will be happy with forever. If anyone has any suggestions that would be so helpful.

Thanks!

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Personal opinion: Studs are on your ears, so the color and clarity are less important. For a RB (I assume you want rounds in martinis), I personally would go down to an I color, SI1 (or even SI2 for earrings). Carat size matters more to me than how white they are against my ears (but I have "olive" skin, so most things look whiter on me than on super pale people).

I also think that you're right that you want to stick to ideal cut. Unfortunately, you haven't given us enough information to evaluate the cut -- just as with a solitaire, depth %, table %, crown angles, etc (everything that goes into HCA) is enough to start with, but when you get down to finalists, you will probably want Idealscope and/or ASETs to really make sure that your ears sparkle as much as possible.

Good luck!

Nelly4

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for that - I thought I could probably get away with a H or I if they are in my ears but wanted to check. Yes, I am looking for round ones.

I have found 2 more diamonds that may be suitable
- 0.446ct H SI2, ideal cut Table 55.5%, Depth 60.2% Crown 14.7% and Crown Angle 33.9 (measurement 4.97 x 4.98 x 3.00)
- 0.448ct H SI2, ideal cut Table 54.1%, Depth 61.7% Crown 15.5% and Crown Angle 34.4 (measurement 4.92 x 4.95 x 3.04)

How do these look? - they are still in my budget price - a bit bigger than the ones above.

glossnpolish

Rough_Rock
I saw those stones online on the same website ;-) you'd never go wrong buying stones from them.
Go with the HSI2s, you'd never be able to see SI2 inclusions in earrings. That pair will make beautiful earrings, great pick!! :)

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't search the usual PS vendors for your stones, but HCA also needs the pavilion angle or % and culet %. I would start by calculating the HCA on both of the stones below. If they're < 2, then I'd ask for photos. Since they're SI2,s you want to make sure that they're SI2s closer to SI1s (not SI2s closer to I1s) since SI2s have a big range in clarity.

Nelly4

Rough_Rock
I decided to stick with this company (BGD) as I have read so many positive comments about them and their service has been outstanding and Jamie has been very quick to help with my questions. I weighed up the size and budget I had and decided on the second option they gave me - I know I will be happy and I can always trade up in future if I want.

I went with the 0.344 & 0.348 pair G SI1 ideal cuts. They are well within my budget and with setting & postage I am still a couple of hundred dollars under budget.

The other diamonds I found on their website were slightly larger but apparently they were not eye clean - becasue I can't see them in person, I went with the original suggestion.

I looked at the diamond stud picture thread and worked out that my ears are not that big so this size will be large enough for me. I'm just very excited about the whole purchase and look forward to receiving them!!! :D

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cant wait to see them too...they should be beautiful! Pics please when you get them.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I was not disappointed by my J coloured martini studs from BGD, v similar size to yours.

I have brown skin and v small earlobes so they look both white and substantial. If you are white, then Gs are a great choice in my opinion.

Nelly4

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rosetta, yes I'm fair skinned so I'm SO excited on the pair of diamonds I chose and their customer service was amazing.

Frenchgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Nelly4|1289262633|2758769 said:
I have made the decision to buy myself some diamond studs (while I can afford it) and I have sent off some emails for ideas about what I can get for my budget. I have approximately $1500 to spend.

I am looking for white gold, martini settings and I assume I can get around a 0.30 - 0.40ct diamond stud for that amount. (Please let me know if I am wrong)

Does anyone have any opinions on these specifications?
1st pair
0.344, G, SI1 and ideal cut
0.348, G, SI1 and ideal cut

2nd pair

Will there be that much difference between the two pairs or does it depend on all the other specifications as well? Sorry, I'm still new to this so want to get the right ones that I will be happy with forever. If anyone has any suggestions that would be so helpful.

Thanks!

I prefer the 2nd pair. For me clarity and color are important.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see them Nelly!

all you people with elf ears are lucky! I wish 0.4cts looked substantial in my ear :rodent:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the purchase! Please post pics when you get them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results