shape
carat
color
clarity

Would like your opinion on this setting for a radiant stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nycdye

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking about getting this setting on a 2 Carat Radiant. What do you think?

I was thinking either this setting or a similar setting but instead of Pink Sapphire as the halo, use either yellow diamonds or white diamonds for the halo.

By the way, anyone have experience with diamondsourceVA? They're the ones who did this setting. I like the look of the setting but it looks a little off. Not sure if that's poor worksmanship or simply a bad picture.

And feel free to point me to another good radiant setting if you know of one
1.gif

Radiant Cut 1.82 ct 1.37 ratio 0.47 tcw-1.JPG

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that style for a radiant, but I would do a white diamond halo unless you're sure your lady wants color. (If you're the lady in question, then I personally prefer yellow halos to pink halos, but get whatever you like best, of course!)

I am familiar with Diamond Source of VA but I didn't end up using them. I agree that the workmanship seems a bit wonky on that setting. The bezel looks pretty uneven. I got my radiant halo setting custom made by Whiteflash.com and I am very pleased with the workmanship-it's perfect-so I can definitely recommend them!

Also, just an FYI, in the setting you posted the diamond is bezel set, but you can also get the diamond prong set in the halo, which I personally prefer-plus I think it makes the diamond look bigger. Just my two cents!

ETA that I looked at the photo you posted again and the whole outline of the halo is uneven, too! I would definitely look elsewhere for a setting!

claireabelle

Shiny_Rock
I think that would look gorgeous with white diamond halo and milgrain!
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a link to my favorite Radiant setting, it's Eva's. And it's stunning. (pics throughout the thread)

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest, I have never been a big fan of halos (with round stones) with quadratic/rectangular center stones. I think that one appeal of the radiant is (among other things) the non-round shape, and combining the two styles takes a lot away from it. Only my two cents of course.

nycdye

Rough_Rock
I'm actually the one doing the proposing. I will be picking up the stone in the next few days with a "placeholder" setting. What I'm trying to do now is simply look for as many nice radiant settings as possible so that my lovely gf will have a good line-up to pick from after the proposal. Lining up my ducks
emwink.gif

Anyway, I came across the diamondsourceva setting and thought it looked really nice but poorly done. Wasn't sure if it was my untrained eyes but I guess it isn't since some of you see it too.

The reason I was leaning towards a colored stone halo is so that there will be a visual separation between the center stone and the halo. Also because I thought a white diamond halo might make the ring look too "busy" but I have to say Eva's ring is absolutely stunning. I wonder how it'll look with the more rectangular stone I purchased.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2008 9:41:57 AM
Author: nycdye
The reason I was leaning towards a colored stone halo is so that there will be a visual separation between the center stone and the halo. Also because I thought a white diamond halo might make the ring look too ''busy'' but I have to say Eva''s ring is absolutely stunning. I wonder how it''ll look with the more rectangular stone I purchased.
Good question. I know that part of that rings appeal for me, aside from the fact that it''s simply stunning, is that it is square (but I love squares anyway). I''m having a harder time visualizing with a rectangular stone.... But I think, if done correctly/well, it could be really pretty.

I would echo going with someone like WF, or, if budget is not an issue, Leon Mege could do something fantastic with it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I like the setting very much.

cheers--Sharon

nycdye

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/21/2008 10:02:41 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 5/21/2008 9:41:57 AM
The reason I was leaning towards a colored stone halo is so that there will be a visual separation between the center stone and the halo. Also because I thought a white diamond halo might make the ring look too ''busy'' but I have to say Eva''s ring is absolutely stunning. I wonder how it''ll look with the more rectangular stone I purchased.
Good question. I know that part of that rings appeal for me, aside from the fact that it''s simply stunning, is that it is square (but I love squares anyway). I''m having a harder time visualizing with a rectangular stone.... But I think, if done correctly/well, it could be really pretty.

I would echo going with someone like WF, or, if budget is not an issue, Leon Mege could do something fantastic with it.
I would love to say budget is not an issue but the stone already costed a fortune - relative to me of course. In addition to the ering, I''m also looking to buying a home with my lovely lady in the next 1-2 years. So cost is definitely a factor.

Is it safe to have a "Whiteflash" or "JamesAllen" do the setting if the stone is purchased elsewhere? I know both of these onliners are very reputable but I imagine most people will be more comfortable watching the jeweler as they set. (1) To make sure there''s no funny business with swapping it with a CZ and (2) that they don''t chip the stone and then try to pass it off as an existing flaw when you get it back. Or am I being paranoid here.

Oh, and thank you all for your response. It''s been very helpful

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2008 11:18:03 AM

I would love to say budget is not an issue but the stone already costed a fortune - relative to me of course. In addition to the ering, I''m also looking to buying a home with my lovely lady in the next 1-2 years. So cost is definitely a factor.

Is it safe to have a ''Whiteflash'' or ''JamesAllen'' do the setting if the stone is purchased elsewhere? I know both of these onliners are very reputable but I imagine most people will be more comfortable watching the jeweler as they set. (1) To make sure there''s no funny business with swapping it with a CZ and (2) that they don''t chip the stone and then try to pass it off as an existing flaw when you get it back. Or am I being paranoid here.

Oh, and thank you all for your response. It''s been very helpful
Yes, it would be extremely safe. They are both very honest business''s. No worries working long distance, as long as it''s with a reputable vendor, which these two are.

And I totally understand the budget thang.
2.gif

We haven''t really seen a lot of JA settings on here, you could try searching and see what you get. Here is a thread of WF custom settings, to get an idea of their work.

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
i atually like the pink around the halo, it gives it a unique touch

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
I think that halo looks very nice with that diamond, it doesn''t seem to swallow it up at all. Pink sapphires, or diamonds would be lovely!

You are so sweet to have different setting lined up for her! Bravo!!
36.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whiteflash is very reputable! I haven''t seen many JA custom settings-I don''t think it''s their thing. I''d go with Whiteflash for sure.

nycdye

Rough_Rock
I''ve been reading a lot of good things about Whiteflash here on PS so I''ll definitely look into them.

Any thoughts on 14k white gold vs 18k white gold vs platinum?

I hear platinum is not the greatest for settings but people prefer it so they can say that their setting is platinum. How''s the shine and durability on platinum?

As for white gold, I''ve been hearing that 18k white gold holds the shine longer but 14k white gold is the stronger metal. Anyone here have first hand experience to confirm?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2008 11:31:59 AM
I've been reading a lot of good things about Whiteflash here on PS so I'll definitely look into them.

Any thoughts on 14k white gold vs 18k white gold vs platinum?

I hear platinum is not the greatest for settings but people prefer it so they can say that their setting is platinum. How's the shine and durability on platinum?

As for white gold, I've been hearing that 18k white gold holds the shine longer but 14k white gold is the stronger metal. Anyone here have first hand experience to confirm?
Platinum is fine for settings, especially the prongs. If a Plat prong gets hit, it will "give" more, and just bend, whereas a WG prong may break. Having said that, I wore my first wedding set for 24 years, WG, never had a problem. I got my WG upgrade 2 years ago, and actually knocked a prong hard enough that it moved, but certainly didn't break. There are millions of WG settings running around, so it's really more of a personal preference.

Price dictates for some, as Plat is more expensive.

WG is plated with Rhodium, and depending on the chemical reaction the the persons skin, will need replated periodically. Some rarely have to, some do as often as every 3-6 months. Platinum looks like WG when new, but if not poished, will develop a patina. Some love it, some don't. You just get it polished. And overall, a Plat setting will last longer. If you search on here, you get tons of threads with tons of opinions! It's really all personal.

On finer jewelry, it is recommended to go with 18K, however, my mom gave me an early inheritance ring made of 14K, and the setting was over 85 years old and still looked great. I'd probably say go with 18 though, and maybe Plat prongs. Many rings are made that way.

HTH!

nycdye

Rough_Rock
Thank you Ellen !!!

18k WG setting with Platinum prongs. Who knew. I didn''t even know mixing and matching like that was even an option. I''ll definitely look into that.

I''m amazed at how much I''m learning here at PS from all its knowledgable members.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a very pretty setting, but I would much prefer the pink halo if it was done in rose gold.
Between yellow diamonds and white I would probably choose white.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results