shape
carat
color
clarity

Would like to reset e-ring & setting is from a store that is closing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cypp

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I would like to ask everyone''s advice. I would like to have the diamond from my engagement ring reset to a different setting. I don''t like the setting I have for it anymore. I feel like it doesn''t show off my diamond enough... kind of like parking a really nice car in a worn down garage (thats the analogy I used with my husband
9.gif
)

There is a setting I like at Christian Bernard. The price tag on it is $3,000 and it''s now 70% off. It''s 18KT gold, 0.6x tcw diamond on the setting, halo. I was wondering if that is a good price or did they mark-up prices before marking it down, a la Linens N Things and Circuit City?

I also have two concerns:

1) If I buy the setting from a store thats about to close any day now, who do I take it to to have it set for me? and

2) When I have the diamond taken out of the old setting and placed in the new one, what if the diamond chips? The girdle is thin to medium. For some reason, I''m very very paranoid about this. AND,

3) Most places don''t allow you to watch them when they set it (at least, the places I have asked) so what if they switch the diamond? Mine is GIA certified with a "map" in case anything happens, but I just want to avoid having to go through that...

Thanks so much!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Certainly sounds like a marked up setting to me unless it''s designer (Ritani, Tacori, etc.)

You can have it set anywhere, but most places won''t take responsibility for the stone while it is being set. You could insure the components yourself through Jeweler''s Mutual and then it will be covered, but otherwise you would be SOL.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umm, i would buy from a reputable vendor that other PScopers have mentioned on this site,, I personally enjoyed working with Whiteflash, or have talked to Jamesallens.com or goodoldgold.. and they all have very nice quality diamonds and setting maybe even at a fraction of the B&M stores.. I know for sure you can always upgrade with Whiteflash with your diamond bought from them, so keep that in mind if you think you think you want to buy from a store that might go out of business fairly soon. I would have the place you buy your diamond set it in your ring... You can get a quote from whiteflash if you post a pics of what the ring looks like. As for chipping diamond parts when setting it in your mounting, I would get that diamond insured if you are going to get it set somewhere other than the place you bought your diamond from.

cypp

Rough_Rock
Hi Neatfreak,

Thanks for your response. It''s not designer, it didnt have that stamped on the inside. I asked the manager if the prices were marked up before marking down, and she denied it and said these are all the same prices as before the store started to liquidate.

Sorry to sound so dumb, but what do you mean insure the components? You mean, insure the diamond and the setting, and then find a place to have it set? I''m so paranoid about my diamond getting chipped/damaged in the process of resetting it.

cypp

Rough_Rock
Hi Dannyandterry,

Thanks for your response. I don''t like to buy online, so thats pretty much out. I like buy from B&M stores because I want to see and try the setting on before buying. I thought it was a good deal since the price was $3,000 and now it''s $900... but I was also suspicious that it might have been marked up for its stats (18KT white gold, 0.60 diamond tcw). I also was interested in buying because I really hate the heavy negotiating, and in this case I didn''t have to.

I dont know if Christian Bernard will sill set the diamond for me since they are closing any day now.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 9:39:46 PM
Author: cypp
Hi Neatfreak,

Thanks for your response. It''s not designer, it didnt have that stamped on the inside. I asked the manager if the prices were marked up before marking down, and she denied it and said these are all the same prices as before the store started to liquidate.

Sorry to sound so dumb, but what do you mean insure the components? You mean, insure the diamond and the setting, and then find a place to have it set? I''m so paranoid about my diamond getting chipped/damaged in the process of resetting it.

Yeah, they are full of BS or their prices were massively overinflated to begin with...

JM will insure the diamond and the stone together if they are being placed in a new ring together. Not sure on the details, you''d have to call them, but in that case it would be insured if something were to happen to it while it was being set.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no worries about the online... I thought that too,, but with the savings I opted to buy online and trust these Pscopers... But going back to your post, do you have a local jeweler around there you know of or any of your friends use and trust? maybe use their jeweler to set your rings.. yep insure both of the components before you have any jeweler touch them,,, you''ll have to get an appraisal first to get those items authenticated then the jewelry insurance co. will insure them, once set, then just to make sure you have the "right" stuff back.. go back to your appraiser and verify to ease your mind.. hope that helps... BTW... when you get the ring don''t forget to post pics here k? we love pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results