shape
carat
color
clarity

Would like opinions on which setting for my new cushion cut ruby

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a heated only Madagascan ruby coming my way. It is small 4.9-3.9mm but was told look redder in person and the camera makes it look pinker (hope that is true) and pops. I originally had my heart set on the first setting (halo), but will have to be modified and will look smaller on the finger, but then I remembered having an old ring I sold with the second setting (flower liken one), which I loved to and feel it will give more finger coverage. I am torn between the two. I know it comes down to what I want, but what setting do people think will hell help this little stone :)?

IMG_4128.png IMG_4127.png
il_340x270.859663464_ecem.jpg il_340x270.799282109_jpp6.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous little ruby! I'd do the first one, because the setting accentuates the stone, whereas the second one has so much going on in terms of shape that I feel it would pull attention away from the center stone, so that I have trouble picturing any stone other than a white diamond that the setting wouldn't distract from.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous little ruby! I'd do the first one, because the setting accentuates the stone, whereas the second one has so much going on in terms of shape that I feel it would pull attention away from the center stone, so that I have trouble picturing any stone other than a white diamond that the setting wouldn't distract from.
Exactly!! This!

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
I'd go with the 1st one as well

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really do like the second setting, but I agree it could overwhelm the stone. i would also go with the first one.

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the responses :). I understand what you guys mean, but I am worried the ring will look really small on my 7.5 finger since they would have to make it smaller to fit my stone.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the second one. The color of the stone will still pop but there will be enough frufru for finger coverage.

I have a small stone in a ring full of frufru too and as long as the stone is a bright strong color it will still stand out.

voce

Ideal_Rock
If you're going with the second setting, the cushion will look better set east-west, though I'm still not a fan of the second.

I also have a size 7.5 ring finger, but I never worry about an excellent stone looking too small; I just attack rings. I think half a carat plus halo will look okay on a size 7.5 finger, but that's only my opinion, for what it's worth.

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're going with the second setting, the cushion will look better set east-west, though I'm still not a fan of the second.

I also have a size 7.5 ring finger, but I never worry about an excellent stone looking too small; I just attack rings. I think half a carat plus halo will look okay on a size 7.5 finger, but that's only my opinion, for what it's worth.
Thank you for your opinion. I forget to that once stones are set they appear bigger as well. I shrunk down the picture of first setting to fit stone measurements and I think figure coverage will be ok and the halo will bring out the red in the ruby, plus the vintage detail I like in the band. This was my first choice, so I think I should stick with my gut :)

voce

Ideal_Rock

Oops. I meant stack, not attack.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the second setting will give you a little more hand presence than the first. It's a beautiful stone and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results