shape
carat
color
clarity

Would I be able to buy a nice pear shape opal for 2K?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size? does opals come with a lab report like diamonds? what grade should I look for? who is the go to vendor for Australian opals?

I have never bought a CS in my life ... :oops:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw welcome to the dark side DF!
What kind of opal are you looking for? Can you post some photos?

2k can be a lot or a little depending on what kind of opal and what kind of traits. Solid black opal from lighting ridge is probably the priciest, and prices will vary depending on body color, intensity of color play, variety of color and color pattern. Welo opals on the other hand are very budget friendly and you could get a huge pear.

Blackopaldirect.com is a good starting point in my opinion to get some info and pricing orientation.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a look at Opal Auctions for their listings, that's were I got my first black Opal doublet.

DK :))

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi DF, must it be a pear? Many opals come in oval shape. If it must be a pear, that will restrict choices.

Have a read and then tell us what you prefer:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone above has provided very good points.

I am going to presume you want the best of the best, so black opals.
Pricing will also depend on the body colour, intensity of colour, colour-play, which colours are more dominant, and pattern.
Yes, I generally prefer a good lab to ensure it hasn't been treated (clarity enhanced or colour enhanced). Unfortunately, there is no grading report like in diamonds so you will not find anything that states it is of excellent quality.
Pear will be a tough one. I've seen a lot of ovals but don't recall ever seeing a pear at all.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Welo opals because they’re very budget friendly. This one is 17x12 mm and cost $300. It’s easy to find pears in Welos too. Australian opals will be way more expensive. 771D2D24-B4FB-4872-8099-C99EF05BE3D3.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the look of some of the Welo opals at Opal Auctions, I call them jelly opals as they look like glitters suspended in jelly.

DK :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw welcome to the dark side DF!
What kind of opal are you looking for? Can you post some photos?
No idea :oops: Australian? . I like the lighter colored ones. If I buy one it'll be for a pendant with a diamond halo setting. Pear shapes are hard to find?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea :oops: Australian? . I like the lighter colored ones. If I buy one it'll be for a pendant with a diamond halo setting. Pear shapes are hard to find?

If you could post photos of ones online that you like or find ideal we can help guide you :)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Look for fire on any shape or size of white opal, at least to begin with. Synthetic opal is not rare, if you really want to know what you have, let GIA have it - opal identification is a darned art form.

(one to click on: opal with transparent 'crystal' base - www)

AV_

Ideal_Rock

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Not hard to find at all, there are plenty of pear and tear drop shaped stones cut by cutters. My approach is to usually try and cut a round/oval stone as a general rule, the tear drop or pear shape is a classic indicator of 'I wanted an Oval but there was a flaw or other issue during cutting' :lol: so that could be why you don't see many pears or tear drop shaped. There are exceptions to the flaw rule though, some stones have a colour bar shape that is naturally pear shaped so sticking with that shape is best.

The other approach is to leave the stone free form shape to maximize the weight and so you retain all of the colourplay. I have a few stones like this as well but always try to go for a symmetrical gem instead of a free form stone with a bit of extra weight.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you could post photos of ones online that you like or find ideal we can help guide you :)
I like this color but in a pear shape (about 10.5-11.5mm) for a pendant.

2nd choice...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IYO, Does a pear or an oval look better in a diamond halo pendant?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Better is quite subjective, however I know that myself and a lot of other vendors love a Crystal Opal with good colour. It can be the most magnificent little glowing egg when there's the 'colour on colour' phenomena.

It can be tricky for a jeweller to set a Crystal Opal and not have the colour wash out unless it has really bright, good colour and saturation. That's something you will want to talk to your jeweller about regarding any translucent or transparent stone you choose, but especially so with Crystal Opal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results