shape
carat
color
clarity

Would be customers of New World Diamonds beware; international upgrade options removed and questionable after service customer service

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Dear all,

Just to highlight this to you especially if you are considering or have purchased from NWD. The context is that when I was enquiring on the 2x upgrade options with NWD, they decided to remove it since they were unable to answer some of my questions. I am quite surprised since I was assured that I was able to qualify for the upgrades and have made a few purchases from them. :x2

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Final update on the discussion.

NWD's decision is final, as such all the customer service officers have suddenly stopped replying me regarding the upgrades and even my emails on further purchases. In fact, I believe that they have blacklisted me. :lol:

The experience with them is so unexpected that I had to share it here, so that customers who intend to purchase from them are aware of the type of after sales customer service they can expect to receive. I believe the my experience with NWD speaks volume about their treatment of their customers and serve as a reference material, to those who are considering to purchase from them.

Therefore, please warned that the following is not really true: "We want you to have a lifetime of enjoyment when you purchase one of our items. Since our diamonds will never lose their value we offer a 100% lifetime credit towards two upgrades. "

This is because technically, it is possible that they can deny even non-international customers from the right to upgrade their diamonds anytime, like the way they did for the international customers.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

To give a context of my experience, the discussion with NWD started with me enquiring on how I can proceed with the upgrade.

The customer service officer responded with the min amount for me to proceed with the upgrade. Nevertheless, she has asked me to check on the customs fees involved at my end since she was unable to advise and reiterated that NWD do not have any idea what fees will be involved at my end.

So, I went to check with the customs department for my country, before I shared with NWD of my research, on the fees that will be involved for the exchange process. At this juncture, NWD has suddenly changed their mind and policy (please refer to the post above) midway through the discussion, and I do not , under any circumstances quality for an upgrade, even if I was assured that I qualify for the upgrade, prior making any purchases with them.

In fact, it seems that they have a much better idea what the upgrade will cost me at my end all along. Quoted from their reply:

"Unfortunately, what you described is only a portion of the process for importing and exporting. There are many more fees involved which would be the responsibility of the customer, on top of the qualifying 50% upgrade cost from the credited amount. Which is why the decision was made that for international customers upgrading is not available".

After which, they had refused to answer my clarification on the additional fees involved.

Nonetheless, since I was in the process of upgrade (which inevitably and unexpectedly failed), I decided to go ahead with the purchase, instead of upgrade and was in the process of finalizing my selection through another customer service officer, T. The reason for involving T is simple, since the last one has decided to "ghost" me.

At the same time, because of this unexpected, totally contradictory responses, I have since updated my TrustPilot reviews, to urge international customers to beware of the abrupt changes in policies they might be subjected to. Since NWD do not have any upgrade polices, they should also consider Brilliant Earth first, before deciding which one to purchase from. The reason is simple, the Brilliant Earth's selection is nicer and overseas shipping is cheaper. Nevertheless, the links to NWD's satisfactory product reviews were still intact in my TrustPilot reviews.

However, unfortunately my honest reviews have caught the NWD's attention. Hence, the customer service officer T suddenly emailed me that "Your review was brought to my attention. After reading it and there you are encouraging others to shop at Brilliant Earth instead of us, I'm surprised you are even enquiring about our product." right in the middle of finalizing of my purchase. Even after I have politely explained, that I am simply opting for purchase instead of upgrade, that was the last time I have heard from her. :lol:

Nevertheless, the unexpected treatment has soured my colored lab diamond shopping experience. I doubt me and my family will ever purchase from them ever again.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh wtf, that's awful. I am so sorry

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh wtf, that's awful. I am so sorry

yes, I was so taken aback by their U turn in attitude, that I feel so bad for my brother, who had decided to purchase from NWD instead of Brilliant Earth. He has chosen NWD due to the upgrade policy, which does not exist in the first place.

Anyway, NWD messed up his order even after he has reminded them of the ring size, so he had to ship it back for resizing. I am speechless.

Kasey Bug

Shiny_Rock
Sort of like a bait and switch sales tactic. I would check with Consumer Affairs for that state and just see what they have to say, especially if you have the original paperwork which states the upgrade policy. Good luck

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an International buyer myself there are many pitfalls for the unaware.
New World Diamonds also considers International orders “final sale” meaning there is NO 30 day return it if you don’t like it. To be fair, this isn’t uncommon these days due to the customs, insurance, and tracked shipping issues within some Countries.
And in relation to any “upgrade policy”, always buyer beware. These policies, from any company, arent ever 100% guaranteed into the future. There is invariably a caveat, usually down the bottom of their “terms and conditions” where they reserve the right to change the terms of their policies. There is also usually some “fine print” and the restrictions and requirements regarding any upgrade policies. So it’s a fine marketing technique in theory but I’d never base my purchasing decision on such a policy knowing that company policies change, businesses change ownership and businesses even cease to exist sometimes.
One technical issue regarding upgrades for international purchases is the customs and taxes. While you might be returning a $5,000 ring that you already paid say $650 customs and taxes on, you get no Government refund because you are returning it to upgrade. And when your $15,000 ring comes through, Customs will be wanting money on the whole $15,000 worth of ring. They arent interested in any upgrade arrangement that meant you paid $10,000 (because you returned the $5,000 ring), they’ll want customs and taxes on the $15,000. Certainly you can then a refund request with your Government, but “good luck with that!” unfortunately.
Also the forms and paperwork required for refunds are very onerous and complicated and most Vendors don’t have the inclination to spend time providing such paperwork. Their business model doesn’t allow resources (time and energy) to be spent on non financially productive activities.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
As an International buyer myself there are many pitfalls for the unaware.
New World Diamonds also considers International orders “final sale” meaning there is NO 30 day return it if you don’t like it. To be fair, this isn’t uncommon these days due to the customs, insurance, and tracked shipping issues within some Countries.
And in relation to any “upgrade policy”, always buyer beware. These policies, from any company, arent ever 100% guaranteed into the future. There is invariably a caveat, usually down the bottom of their “terms and conditions” where they reserve the right to change the terms of their policies. There is also usually some “fine print” and the restrictions and requirements regarding any upgrade policies. So it’s a fine marketing technique in theory but I’d never base my purchasing decision on such a policy knowing that company policies change, businesses change ownership and businesses even cease to exist sometimes.
One technical issue regarding upgrades for international purchases is the customs and taxes. While you might be returning a $5,000 ring that you already paid say $650 customs and taxes on, you get no Government refund because you are returning it to upgrade. And when your $15,000 ring comes through, Customs will be wanting money on the whole $15,000 worth of ring. They arent interested in any upgrade arrangement that meant you paid $10,000 (because you returned the $5,000 ring), they’ll want customs and taxes on the $15,000. Certainly you can then a refund request with your Government, but “good luck with that!” unfortunately.
Also the forms and paperwork required for refunds are very onerous and complicated and most Vendors don’t have the inclination to spend time providing such paperwork. Their business model doesn’t allow resources (time and energy) to be spent on non financially productive activities.

Thanks for sharing. I have checked with the customers on my side, the GST payment can be handled via the "short payment permit for the shipment". In short, I only have to pay the GST for the difference in value. Nevertheless, u have nailed it that regardless of the various countries' customs practices, consumers are still under the company's mercy when it comes to changes in policies.

However, the way NWD handled this was quite callous. I did not kick up a big fuss over their changes in policy but the way customer service officer T communicated with me, was certainly unexpected.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results