shape
carat
color
clarity

Would appreciate your opinions on these amethysts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ManhattanLawyer

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I would greatly appreciate any opinions you have on these stones. I think I would prefer to have the purple color be on the darker side, as opposed to lighter, but don''t want it to be so dark that it appears black.

I previously asked about the reputation of AJs gems, and received positive feedback. Does anyone have any feedback about multicolour.com?

Also, what types of questions would I want to ask these vendors about these stones? Do you think these are fair prices for these stones?

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?647758961

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?427488531

http://www.ajsgems.com/amethyst/gemstone-quartz-1967823266-2046340432.html

http://www.ajsgems.com/amethyst/gemstone-quartz-421405970-2046340432.html

http://www.ajsgems.com/amethyst/gemstone-quartz-2131610549-2046340432.html

http://www.ajsgems.com/amethyst/gemstone-quartz-1569047795-2046340432.html

Thank you all so much in advance. I''m really excited to design a ring from soup to nuts but just want to make sure I''m starting out with a great stone!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For Multicolour:
Ask for their GIA colour grading. I don''t see it with the first stone.
Ask if there''s any windows (best to confirm even though I can guess by the picture)

For AJS:
Ask if there''s any windows (best to confirm even though I can guess by the picture)
Narrow down your stones, then ask for additional picture of that 1 or 2 stones (side view)

You can also ask about extinction.

There''s too many for me to view and really critique right now but I will come back later this evening when I''m not as rushed.

ManhattanLawyer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Chrono.

This clearly exposes my lack of knowledge with regard to selecting colored stones, but what are windows, and should the stone have them or not have them?

Same question with regard to extinction - I have no idea what that is.

I really appreciate your offer to look at these stones later when you have time. By all means, take as much time as you need. I clearly need all the assistance I can get!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
A window is a dead spot (where you can see straight through) in the center of the stone. You don''t want one. Extinction is where the color goes black. You don''t want that either. The attached picture is from Wink Jones'' site and shows both a window and extinction.

nativecut.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Out of the ones you posted I like the 12.08 cushion and 16.55 scissor cut from AJS, but none of them are really wowing me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would look at the Four Peaks Amethyst material at diamondexpert.com. Gary Dutton, the owner, from what I''ve heard and in my limited dealings with, is very accomodating. That material is some of the richest colored amethyst in the world, and he also carries material not on his website. He will also provide photographs of it. I do not recommend MC.com because if you have to return it, shipping to Thailand is costly and you cannot insure the package. The Four Peaks material that Gary carries is also cut better.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto re 4 Peaks...............

mz

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?647758961
http://www.ajsgems.com/amethyst/gemstone-quartz-1569047795-2046340432.html

The above 2 would be my pick out of the choices you have presented. The rest were eliminated due to the cutting not bringing out the best of the colour (MC stone 2 step cut) or the purple isn''t rich enough.

I cannot recommend Gary at www.diamondexpert.com for 4 peaks material highly enough. They have a wonderful blue and red flash while remaining relatively inexpensive compared to the Uruguay material. The only problem with the 4 peaks is colour zoning so you may end up with a checkerboard stone.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Out of the stones you found, I think #1 and #3 from AJS are the best. Those from multicolour lack depth of color (and by that I don''t mean darkness but an array of shades visible in the stone), #2 from AJS would probably be too dark and #4 probably looks lifeless in reality. You got some good suggestions from others, these ladies know their amethysts
2.gif

ManhattanLawyer

Shiny_Rock
Any idea why the four peaks amethyst is $96/carat, but the Uruguayan one is only $8/carat? That seems like a huge price difference, especially considering how beautiful the Uruguayan one is! I want the stone to be big since I want a large cocktail-ring type stone, but I have tiny fingers, so unfortunately that one will be too large.

Do you think I should contact this Dutton Diamonds and see if they have something in the size range I want?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2009 11:50:33 AM
Author: ManhattanLawyer
Any idea why the four peaks amethyst is $96/carat, but the Uruguayan one is only $8/carat? That seems like a huge price difference, especially considering how beautiful the Uruguayan one is! I want the stone to be big since I want a large cocktail-ring type stone, but I have tiny fingers, so unfortunately that one will be too large.

Do you think I should contact this Dutton Diamonds and see if they have something in the size range I want?
Yes, you should, and also ask him about the price differential between the Uruguayan and Four Peaks. I believe the Four Peaks is the more rare reddish color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2009 11:50:33 AM
Author: ManhattanLawyer

Absolutely. You won''t know unless you ask. As for the price difference, do ask as well. I''d like to know the reason.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think in this case it''s a factor of the size. One stone is 2 cts. and the other 24. Both gem roughs were quite inexpensive, the time to cut the larger stone was maybe 2 or 3 times the time cut the smaller one, but I''m guessing they were both cut overseas where cutters make less then $0.50 per hour, so 1 hour or 3 hours, who cares!
So the 4 peaks rough may have cost $5, and the larger stone $30, cutting was basically free, so it'' all about making a decent profit on a sale, nothing to do with the cost of the rough stone or cutting time.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2009 11:28:57 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
I think in this case it''s a factor of the size. One stone is 2 cts. and the other 24. Both gem roughs were quite inexpensive, the time to cut the larger stone was maybe 2 or 3 times the time cut the smaller one, but I''m guessing they were both cut overseas where cutters make less then $0.50 per hour, so 1 hour or 3 hours, who cares!
So the 4 peaks rough may have cost $5, and the larger stone $30, cutting was basically free, so it'' all about making a decent profit on a sale, nothing to do with the cost of the rough stone or cutting time.
Four peaks material is mined in the United States, so I don''t think it would have been cut overseas.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, most Montana Sapphire and Oregon Sunstone is cut overseas. It''s not a very impressive cut either. But you never know. It''s priced like it could have been cut here. Most US cutters don''t start cutting quartz until the size gets a bit bigger. Usually Amethyst would sell here, with good cutting from $30 to $60 per ct., but again, in larger sizes to make it worth your time.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I still would be interested to hear what Gary says about why there is such a price differential. Four Peaks material is supposed to be some of the finest in the world. Does cutting have anything to do with the price difference, maybe? I don't know for sure. That Uruguayan amethyst does seem like a great buy though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that Uruguay amethyst is a bargain. Great colour (although a wee too large for most people) for very little $!

Gene,
You don't think it has anything to do with the size? Sort of like aquamarine where when it gets humongous, the price per carat actually drops.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Amethyst starts going down in price at 25 cts according to a famous price guide.

The reason I say it has to do with size is this, if the smaller stone were sold for $8 per ct it would be only $15. It''s not worth listing the stone and shipping for $15. Much less if it were cut in the US. No cutter, unless he has nothing better to do with his time would cut a stone for $15, or even $30. The difference in the price of the rough per cut doesn''t warrant a price difference of $8 to $96 per ct. If you bought a piece of rough for $5 and then spent 3 hours cutting it, a half hour photographing it, then posting it on a website, how much would you charge for it? It wouldn''t make any difference if you paid $5 for the rough, $1 for the rough or $10 for the rough. You have 4 hours into the stone, plus the time to pick out the rough. Now for the larger stone, you have the same time into it, maybe an additional hour cutting it, and maybe $20 more for the rough. So you can sell it for much less per ct. If you calculate your hourly wage, you end up making about the same on both stones.

So from a consumer standpoint, the large stone is a much better buy.

ManhattanLawyer

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to let everyone know I have contacted Gary at Dutton Diamonds to see if he can help find the type of amethyst I''m looking for. Will report back once I hear from him. Thank you all for your help and suggestions so far!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results