shape
carat
color
clarity

would appreciate thoughts on this RB - this could be it!

jough

Rough_Rock
hi everyone,
I've been looking for a long time and think I may have found a winner, but would like to get 2nd (and 3rd) opinions from the veterans on here:

I SI-1
certed AGS ideal Hearts & Arrows

depth 60.2
table 57.3
crown 32.7
pav 41.1
HCA score: 1.3

AGS cert # 104047236002 3.116 cts.

any concerns here??

thanks for the feedback. this stone has the right size, right color, right cut, right price, etc. A little concerned about the inclusions though, if its eye-clean. I've requested a gemologist inspection.

and here's the setting she wants....

-Jough

IS image 3.11 AGS.JPG

simon g.2.jpg

IS image 3.11 AGS HEARTS.JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
any pic of the hearts?

jough

Rough_Rock
yes, sorry. i added the hearts above...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post the original link?

Image is too small.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104047236002-PLDQR.PDF

Would expect a bright stone, lots of white light return :sun: likely won't see as much coloured light ouptut in some types of lights as other types of proportions. Personal preference.

Would also ask JA to confirm that the thin girdle + shallow crown doesn't pose a setting or wearing risk - girdle thickness is measured as a percent of diametre, and since your stone has a bigger diametre even a "thin" girdle closer to vthin than med may well be objectively thick enough in mm not to be of concern but I'm guessing you're putting down a sizable chunk of change so extra reassurance can't hurt

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1310173195|2965176 said:
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104047236002-PLDQR.PDF

Would expect a bright stone, lots of white light return :sun: likely won't see as much coloured light ouptut in some types of lights as other types of proportions. Personal preference.
agree,not enough crown height.

jough

Rough_Rock
Stone Cold - I would post the original link, and really want your opinion (you helped me out on a previous purchase) but JA has this stone on hold and so the original link doesnt have images. But I requested a higher rez IS image and will post it as soon as I have it.

jough

Rough_Rock
DF & Yssie,

thanks for your comments. I'm confused though. This is a AGS triple "0" Ideal hearts and arrows JA TrueHearts branded stone. I mean isnt this supposed to be the best of the best cut wise? Or at least super amazing? I thought with a 1.2 HCA and a good looking IS image I wouldn't have to worry about light performance.

Lots of white light is good (how often will she ever be under spot lighting in every day conditions anyway?). So it should do well on brilliance but less so on fire and sparkle? Is that what you mean? What I'm looking for is a stone with "life"

I realize not all AGS 000's are created equal. And if this one is at the bottom of that top 1% or whatever, I guess that makes it exactly what I'm looking for considering its size and the price I'm getting it for. There's always trade offs.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jough|1310179080|2965238 said:
DF & Yssie,

thanks for your comments. I'm confused though. This is a AGS triple "0" Ideal hearts and arrows JA TrueHearts branded stone. I mean isnt this supposed to be the best of the best cut wise? Or at least super amazing? I thought with a 1.2 HCA and a good looking IS image I wouldn't have to worry about light performance.

Lots of white light is good (how often will she ever be under spot lighting in every day conditions anyway?). So it should do well on brilliance but less so on fire and sparkle? Is that what you mean? What I'm looking for is a stone with "life"

I realize not all AGS 000's are created equal. And if this one is at the bottom of that top 1% or whatever, I guess that makes it exactly what I'm looking for considering its size and the price I'm getting it for. There's always trade offs.
yes,i'm just one of those person who prefers small table with a tall crown.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jough|1310179080|2965238 said:
DF & Yssie,

Lots of white light is good (how often will she ever be under spot lighting in every day conditions anyway?). So it should do well on brilliance but less so on fire yes and sparkle no? Is that what you mean? What I'm looking for is a stone with "life"

It's not that this stone is an objectively "better" or "worse" stone than any other - bottom 1%, top 1%, etc. of AGS0 grade - it's just different, and it'll look different from other stones with different proportions. It's a lovely stone, objectively, absolutely no indication otherwise.

Stones w/ shallower crown and steeper pavilion and longer lower halves tend to excel in brilliance (white light return) - lots of quick twinkles and sizzly sparks is the best way I can think of to describe the look. Stones w/ higher crowns & smaller tables (and complementing shallwer pavilions), shorter lower halves (fatter arrows) tend to throw off fewer, but bigger flashes of light, and these types of proportions also permit more visible dispersion (coloured light output).

It really is all personal preference - tradeoff between white light and coloured light (they necessarily can't exist in the same place - light from a single facet at a given point in time is either white or coloured, can't be both). In some types of light (spotlights, direct sunlight) *all* these well-cut stones, yours, other AGS0s, will show coloured light, in other types of lights like diffuse office lights all those stones will show white light, in "intermediate" types of light different stones w/ different types of proportions will err toward either white or coloured - if you're the type who likes lots of white light return this is a great choice, if you're the type who prefers to see lots of colour a different set of proportions may be a better bet.

The sheer size we're talking about is a combating factor - larger stone = larger facets, larger facets = potential for more coloured light return, on an objective scale. Compared to a high-crown 3ct yes, this one will err toward white light return, compared to a high crown 1ct... different question... honestly, my top recommendation is having it shipped out to look at in-person, see what your eyes think!

jough

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1310247989|2965645 said:
It's not that this stone is an objectively "better" or "worse" stone than any other - bottom 1%, top 1%, etc. of AGS0 grade - it's just different, and it'll look different from other stones with different proportions. It's a lovely stone, objectively, absolutely no indication otherwise.

Stones w/ shallower crown and steeper pavilion and longer lower halves tend to excel in brilliance (white light return) - lots of quick twinkles and sizzly sparks is the best way I can think of to describe the look. Stones w/ higher crowns & smaller tables (and complementing shallwer pavilions), shorter lower halves (fatter arrows) tend to throw off fewer, but bigger flashes of light, and these types of proportions also permit more visible dispersion (coloured light output).

It really is all personal preference - tradeoff between white light and coloured light (they necessarily can't exist in the same place - light from a single facet at a given point in time is either white or coloured, can't be both). In some types of light (spotlights, direct sunlight) *all* these well-cut stones, yours, other AGS0s, will show coloured light, in other types of lights like diffuse office lights all those stones will show white light, in "intermediate" types of light different stones w/ different types of proportions will err toward either white or coloured - if you're the type who likes lots of white light return this is a great choice, if you're the type who prefers to see lots of colour a different set of proportions may be a better bet.

The sheer size we're talking about is a combating factor - larger stone = larger facets, larger facets = potential for more coloured light return, on an objective scale. Compared to a high-crown 3ct yes, this one will err toward white light return, compared to a high crown 1ct... different question... honestly, my top recommendation is having it shipped out to look at in-person, see what your eyes think!

Thanks Yssie. That makes a lot of sense and helps put things in perspective.

I will definitely look at it in person. And will prob take it to a local dealer so i can compare it to something. Seeing one stone by itself makes it tough for me to judge. Actually, I'm pretty sure it will look great to my untrained eyes (subjectively) - that's why I want to buy one that is a winner "by the numbers" as well (objectively).

jough

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1310173042|2965174 said:
Post the original link?

Image is too small.

Stone Cold - here are the larger IS images JA sent me. What do you think?

1336405hearts.JPG

1336405id.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results