shape
carat
color
clarity

Would appreciate suggestions...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hiya all.

I am hoping that I may be able to do a diamond band project in the next year or so.

What I want:

A "forever" band. Something I can wear all the time and never take off (not for working out, not for showering, just to clean it and put it back on). Something relatively understated and low to my ring finger. I'm not AT ALL a person who likes to stand out and big bling is not for me, as I discovered with the Aurora Band I commissioned from BGD. And then sold, because the attention it garnered made me uncomfortable. It was made up of five 30 pointers and eight 8 pointers. Here it is below for reference. It was beautiful, but it's at it's perfect home with Clairetek now, where it belongs. (Picture credit to Dreamer- interim owner of Aurora band).

file.jpg

I am inclined to do the seven stone band project I have been wanting for several years. It would be a 1.75 carat (25 points each) bar set band like the below:

perfect_seven_stone.jpg

But I really love deco style pieces I do not currently have any. And so something like the below caught my eye.

And then I thought... I should pick your brains as you guys have great bling and great ideas. Budget will be 3-5k. With 5k probably being more than I want to spend. Ring size is 6.5

Suggestions appreciated. What kind of band would you suggest (links and pictures greatly appreciated)?

tiffany_circled.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Carre/asscher/emerald cut and bezel set band?

I am not a fan of MRBs, and prefer the understated look of step cuts.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, just lost my post so quick recap...not sure what you are thinking about getting so just sharing some ideas.
Personally, I find low profile eternity bands easiest to wear and if I were doing a similar project I would want to find a genuine antique band with French cut diamonds. :love:
How about a French cut diamond eternity band? Yummy fat low set French cut diamonds. Genuine antique.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/287926235/exciting-edwardian-platinum-engagement?ga_order=price_desc&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=edwardian%20diamond%20band&ref=sr_gallery_30

https://www.etsy.com/listing/157919484/950-platinum-art-deco-vinatge-style?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=french%20cut%20diamond%20eternity%20band&ref=sr_gallery_15

https://www.etsy.com/listing/259759107/big-sale-20-off-early-art-deco-french?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=french%20cut%20diamond%20eternity%20band&ref=sr_gallery_24

Last one is a 6 but might be able to be resized. First one can be and second link not genuine antique but just linking for ideas.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/260812596/the-cvb-riviera-band-french-cut-diamond?ga_search_query=French+cut+band&ref=shop_items_search_2

Caysie could make one for you but again not genuine antique though I'm not sure that is important to you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
dk168 Thanks so much for the suggestion! I love step cuts too. But since my engagement ring is an asscher I don't think I want smaller step cuts for this piece. I would adore OECs that were in the H range, but finding 5 or 7 of those that are matched would take an act of god. And AVRs would cost too much, I'm afraid.

Any other suggestions?

Missy, I do adore rectangular french cuts and you reminded me of some of my favorite bands EVER as options.
http://www.erikawinters.com/Wedding-Bands-Cordelia.html#.V0zyNb6_pKo
http://www.erikawinters.com/Wedding-Bands-Imogen.html#.V0zyLL6_pKo
http://www.erikawinters.com/Wedding-Bands-Liv.html#.V0zyZb6_pKo

n a rich matte gold. Now that's extremely tempting.

Or these:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/243342921/the-cvb-anastasia-band-platinum-french?ref=shop_home_active_25
https://www.etsy.com/listing/236023407/the-cvb-alexandria-french-cut-diamond?ref=shop_home_active_40

:love:

Hmmm.

Honestly, I don't have the funds for it. But I'd love a 8mm OEC in this setting: https://www.etsy.com/listing/262961974/the-cvb-platinum-six-prong-victorian?ref=shop_home_active_16 But that's a project for another lifetime.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that Tiffany three stone ring you posted and have that picture saved! However, I don't think a ring with milgrain is ever a 24/7 kind of ring. And as much as I adore the idea of an antique french cut band or CVB or EW band (made wider or a stack), those are not 24/7 rings, either! I think the 7 stone ring you posted is more likely to work for the purpose you intend. However, all of those rings would be so desirable to me, that I would get one of them and treat it with the utmost TLC!

Just FYI, I like that Elsa ring, too, and plan to look at it later this week!

Oh, as far as durability goes, how about a band with 5 bezel set diamonds? That would protect your diamonds more than the bar set band. You could do round or octagonal bezels.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with you on the durability. That's my concern too. I know the bar set will be fine because I'm not hard on my rings and I've had two bar set bands already (and sold them because neither of them were just right; I wanted larger diamonds) and they've been perfect for 24/7 wear.

I adore bezels DS, you know that. Is milgrain really that fragile? I only have milgrain on my Odds and Ends necklace, none of my rings.

The other thing I am struggling with is metal color.

I don't have ANY nice yellow gold pieces and I adore the rich matte/brushed finish on gold and a bezel band would be the perfect piece to showcase that.

If I go for a bezel band I would get a graduated diamond band. I'm just not sure what size diamonds I would need to get proportions to get the look below, which is what I'd want.

But because I don't have any other gold pieces, I am thinking I should go for white metal instead to work with my other pieces. But then again, I need to start somewhere on the yellow gold collection.

Advice? You have a fabulous collection. I am never going to have a collection to rival it.

Also if you are seeing the Elsa, please take a ton of pictures. I just adore it. I'd love to know what size (in mm's) that stone in the etsy listing is. It's just perfect.

0e6961eabf401bf55f6bb7e46cd6c145.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I'm thinking of one of these three options if I don't go for that deco style band with the milgrain and the pave. Custom setting will cost anywhere from 800-1500k I'm estimating.

A) Seven 25 pointers, bar set. Which would be about 400-500 each stone (estimating, hopefully on the high side, since I am okay with uncerted and H color eyeclean). Which would give me at 4mm band. 3500 for the stones in this arrangement.

B) Graduated bezel band. With something like this for the center stone:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.65-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1143295 1640. And 5.5mm.
Then 2 35 pointers at 4.5mm- 1200 for both. And then probably 20 pointers (700 for both). Which means I'd be looking 3500k for the stones (assuming my guess at the proportions of that graduated ring is correct) here too.

C) Five 25 pointers instead of seven. Bar set as well. It would save me 1000 bucks as I would only need 5 stones instead of 7. This is a very attractive option in terms of pricing bringing it in at 2500 for the stones. I just have to make sure it will give me enough coverage across the top of my fingers.

What do you think?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm just afraid the graduated band will require a larger center. And I'm worried about the bezel work. I only like the one above because of the super thin bezels. Those are really hard to do.

This looks perfect in terms of stone proportions. But the center is 75 points and that would take the project out of budget.

file.jpg

Of course I could keep the 65 point center, I could reduce the 35 point sides to 30 points. And the 20 pointers to 15 pointers. Hmm. That would take a couple hundred off the total cost too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, just a quick thought. I wouldn't worry about saving a few hundred or even 1K on this "forever" ring. Because in the long run it doesn't matter and if you don't get what you really want now you will regret it. So if you want a 7 stone don't get a 5 stone and if you want an eternity get that. Just wanted to add that quick thought here. This will be your forever ring as you wrote about so get what you really want so you have no regrets.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very excited about the idea of a graduated bezel band! I think you will get greater finger coverage with 5 stones if you do bezels. I don't think you'd get it with 5 stones in bar set. My vintage 5 stone band is very slightly graduated but the stones average at .20 (.25 center and it barely covers the top of my size 5.5 finger. If you can swing .50 for the center, I think that would work best for graduation. Then maybe .33 and .25 sides. It would be kind of awesome to do OECs or newly cut OECs for this project, but the newly cut would add $$$, unfortunately.

Metals are a tough issue. I recently bought an 18k yellow gold VCA clover bracelet which I adore (but lost my mind when I bought it!), and right now, it is my only yg piece (other than a couple of sentimental pieces from the past that I really don't wear). I plan to wear it with white metals but with one other yg piece such as earrings or a pendant. If I were to make a daily wear band, it would have to be platinum. Platinum will give you the durability over time that you are wanting, especially if you can request the plat/ruthenium alloy which I think does work for cast since that is what Tiffany uses. However, as far as brushed metal goes, yellow gold is so beautiful. But any yellow gold pieces I end up with will be occasional wear things, because most of my jewelry is white metal, too.

I think I'd try the inside only milgrain on the bezel ring. That way, it doesn't come in contact with other things as much as milgrain over the entire bezel. You could do shiny or brushed finish. I think brushed is beautiful and more contemporary looking, or shiny with the milgrain for more of an antique look.

Thank you for the very nice comment about my collection. It is modest by PS standards, but I am very fortunate to have come across some great deals along the way, such as the Pearlman's close-out on those Beaudry rings. I will do my best to take a picture of the Elsa. I will be seeing the original and not the more recent one posted, and I am pretty sure both had around 8.4-8.5mm stones in them. I think 8mm and up is a good size for that setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love that antique Tiffany ring, too. I'd just take it off when doing things that might cause wear on it! :bigsmile:

And, I think you'd need five 30 pointers if you went with 5 stones bar set. I like a classic diamond band, but I think you will love the bezel band or Tiffany ring more!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, a low set half eternity band with smallish diamonds, in my case, FCDs. It was really cheap (secondhand) but it was simple, didn't stand out too much, and has a bit of colour since I'm a CS person. I can wear it without worry about it getting damaged or dirty, 24/7.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG. I am in love. Not practical for every day wear. But GOODNESS I want one of these.

[URL='/user']/user[/URL] The Livia and the Lois :love: :love: :love: :love:

6-7k is out of budget.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to see livia and lois but you've linked to a reply page lady!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So DS I agree with you on the 5 stone of 25 pointers.

I talked to a IDJ about both other options.

The price difference is only a couple hundred dollars. And Yekutiel really likes the graduated five stone design. It gets me a more bang for the buck. He will need a 3 month lead time. So, I am thinking I will go for that.

Not sure about the milgrain yet. But I don't have to be.

And Platinum for the metal.

Chrono, I could get something second hand. That was my first choice, honestly! I am torn. A simple Diamond band is what I.was after. Shoot.

Packrat, sorry. Here's the correct link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BE9uSNps8ZZ/

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't the 5-stone graduated bezel band be quite blingy, as the stones are not exactly small?! :confused:

Love those hexagonal cut diamond rings :love: , and I am wondering if I could persuade a CS cutter to cut me something similar. :naughty:

I vote for French cuts, either on their own or mixed with single cut rounds, not sure about millgrains though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
dk168|1464732763|4038656 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't the 5-stone graduated bezel band be quite blingy, as the stones are not exactly small?! :confused:

Love those hexagonal cut diamond rings :love: , and I am wondering if I could persuade a CS cutter to cut me something similar. :naughty:

I vote for French cuts, either on their own or mixed with single cut rounds, not sure about millgrains though.

Shoot! You are right! It would be really blingy.

I suck at this. I can help 1000 people on RT but am hopeless for myself.

OMG an emerald or tsavorite n the Liv would be crazy beautiful!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1464694159|4038412 said:
Gypsy, just a quick thought. I wouldn't worry about saving a few hundred or even 1K on this "forever" ring. Because in the long run it doesn't matter and if you don't get what you really want now you will regret it. So if you want a 7 stone don't get a 5 stone and if you want an eternity get that. Just wanted to add that quick thought here. This will be your forever ring as you wrote about so get what you really want so you have no regrets.
Great poin Missy. Five 25 pointers is off table. DS is right that I'd need 30 pointers for a five stone.

Thank you missy.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see the 1.35 OEC 5 stone set in the J by G newsletter? You could swap out the centre stone for a larger stone and that would be just about perfect.

I also like hexagon bezels, as another idea if you are going vintage as well....

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In all honesty, I would go with your first choice - the bar set band. It would be beautiful, comfortable, understated and a great every day wear piece. I think it is so exciting when we start thinking about getting something new and exploring all the options but. . . quite often we already know what we want at the start. There are of course all kinds of options but they don't all fit your original requirements. I think it would be beautiful on you!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1464737519|4038694 said:
In all honesty, I would go with your first choice - the bar set band. It would be beautiful, comfortable, understated and a great every day wear piece. I think it is so exciting when we start thinking about getting something new and exploring all the options but. . . quite often we already know what we want at the start. There are of course all kinds of options but they don't all fit your original requirements. I think it would be beautiful on you!!

MissGotRocks said exactly what I was going to say. I've found if I deviate from what I originally wanted I eventually go back and buy what I intended to get in the first place. :wavey: :wavey:

What a fun project for you though.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gypsy! :wavey:

Did you see this ring? I know it is in rose gold but if you are liking the graduated bezel 5 stone setting, it might give you some inspiration. I think it is quite blingy for 1.68ctw (maybe more than you want) and I can't imagine it has more than a .5ct center stone.
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-68ctw-oec-addylin-5-stone-band/

I tend to be a traditional gal, so might have to agree with MissGotRocks and Marcy that maybe you should stick with your first choice. But, on the other hand, I also see getting something you might not think as top of mind. I am trying hard to do that myself with my next RHR! All of the Erika Winter rings you posted are TDF!

As far as metals, I struggle with the same thing...try yellow gold or stick with white metals? I personally think if you got something like the EW band in yellow gold and stacked it with a white gold/platinum band, that it it would blend with your E-ring and other white metal jewelry.

Look forward to what you decide!!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy

I NEVER try to help on these kinds of things, but for some reason was drawn to this thread. I know you're a straight shooter so I'm going to give it to you straight. I don't think you have a clear enough idea of what you want to design a "forever" ring.

I know you're a process person so let me tell you how I reached that conclusion. I looked closely at the ring you sold, trying to understand what you thought was too blingy about it then read what you wrote and looked at your various choices. I couldn't find a "through line" that tells me anything about what intuitively appeals to you. The bar set ring is a modern, minimalist, almost architectural approach with the larger stones a similar size and number to the ring you sold as too blingy. It has an almost masculine feel to it. The Tiffany antique is the exact opposite of that, with curves and that lovely antique feel. Both are beautiful, but totally, totally different. And do you think they'd be less blingy because they'd have more metal? I'm not sure I'd agree because both would have a fair amount of sparkle and finger coverage.

And the art deco rings are a whole different look, antique looking too but small stones and milgrain and pointy. That's such a different look than the others. And then there's the bezeled graduated band which is modern but with a nod to the past and more feminine looking because of the round. That's a completely different direction too. And that's before you get to the debate on which color metal.

Given all that, I'm stumped on what you're really looking for. And I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself by calling it your forever ring. You love the search and design process and have come up with so many lovely things in the past that I can't imagine you not doing that again sometime. it might make more sense to call it your "for awhile" ring.

All that said, If I were picking one for you, I know which one I'd pick but I don't know why. That graduated bezel says "Gypsy" to me for reasons I can't articulate. I know your ER is an asscher with halos that follow the shape so I know you don't have that round shape on the other hand. But I still think it's you. I just don't know why.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
tweeter8177|1464748582|4038782 said:

Did you see this ring? I know it is in rose gold but if you are liking the graduated bezel 5 stone setting, it might give you some inspiration. I think it is quite blingy for 1.68ctw (maybe more than you want) and I can't imagine it has more than a .5ct center stone.

Okay so that is a fabulous find and you are a rockstar! You know why??? Cause those are the EXACT stone sizes I was looking at! The center is 5.5 just like that 65 pointer. The sides are 4.4 like 35 pointers. And the smallest stones are 20 point side at 3.8.

So that ring let's me imagine, very accurately, what my band would look like, only with smaller bezels and lower on the finger. It's not too blingy at all. In fact it looks "just right." Of course now I wish I were coming to the GTG in Vegas so I could try it on (and ask Grace to bring it).

I tend to be a traditional gal, so might have to agree with MissGotRocks and Marcy that maybe you should stick with your first choice. But, on the other hand, I also see getting something you might not think as top of mind. I am trying hard to do that myself with my next RHR! All of the Erika Winter rings you posted are TDF!

As far as metals, I struggle with the same thing...try yellow gold or stick with white metals? I personally think if you got something like the EW band in yellow gold and stacked it with a white gold/platinum band, that it it would blend with your E-ring and other white metal jewelry.

I have wanted a graduated band for a while as well. It's actually the design I discarded in favor of the Aurora band originally. The hardest thing is not being able to try something like it on my hand before buying.

But I am going to go to a few jewelry stores in the next few weeks and try on a band with 25 pointers again. Just to see how I feel about it. It's been at least 2 years since I've tried one on.

I appreciate all the feedback you all are providing. You are really helping me a lot.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainwood|1464749039|4038785 said:
Gypsy

I NEVER try to help on these kinds of things, but for some reason was drawn to this thread. I know you're a straight shooter so I'm going to give it to you straight. I don't think you have a clear enough idea of what you want to design a "forever" ring.

I know you're a process person so let me tell you how I reached that conclusion. I looked closely at the ring you sold, trying to understand what you thought was too blingy about it then read what you wrote and looked at your various choices. I couldn't find a "through line" that tells me anything about what intuitively appeals to you. The bar set ring is a modern, minimalist, almost architectural approach with the larger stones a similar size and number to the ring you sold as too blingy. It has an almost masculine feel to it. The Tiffany antique is the exact opposite of that, with curves and that lovely antique feel. Both are beautiful, but totally, totally different. And do you think they'd be less blingy because they'd have more metal? I'm not sure I'd agree because both would have a fair amount of sparkle and finger coverage.

And the art deco rings are a whole different look, antique looking too but small stones and milgrain and pointy. That's such a different look than the others. And then there's the bezeled graduated band which is modern but with a nod to the past and more feminine looking because of the round. That's a completely different direction too. And that's before you get to the debate on which color metal.

Given all that, I'm stumped on what you're really looking for. And I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself by calling it your forever ring. You love the search and design process and have come up with so many lovely things in the past that I can't imagine you not doing that again sometime. it might make more sense to call it your "for awhile" ring.

All that said, If I were picking one for you, I know which one I'd pick but I don't know why. That graduated bezel says "Gypsy" to me for reasons I can't articulate. I know your ER is an asscher with halos that follow the shape so I know you don't have that round shape on the other hand. But I still think it's you. I just don't know why.

Great post and you are absolutely right. I am all over the place. It reminds me of wedding dress shopping, where I couldn't decide on "THE ONE" because I was drawn to too many different styles.

Saying that it is a forever ring is putting a lot of pressure on it. You are right. I am going to quit doing that ASAP.

I agree with you on the graduated five stone ring being very 'me'. It's the one that feel the most true to my design aesthetic. I think the Deco ring would be a lovely RHR to wear when out, but I think it wouldn't be one I would reach for everyday.

But I adore bezels. And the only reason I didn't pick a bezel setting for the bar set band was because I don't like any of the ones I've ever seen with larger stones all the same size.

But the graduated ring gives me the bezels with the feminine delicacy I love. And if I had to describe my taste in general it's feminine but not fussy. And that describes that ring to a T, plus it gives me nice amount of bling without being too showy about it.

The Aurora made me uncomfortable because of the attention it drew. People ALWAYS noticed it, loudly. And made assumptions about me and my finances that I didn't feel comfortable with (and that aren't accurate, I just like bling). I don't wear high end branded stuff. I am not comfortable with the attention that stuff draws. And the Aurora ring felt like a statement piece. I don't want a statement piece. I want something that people will notice is nice, WHEN they notice it, but that is mostly for MY enjoyment, not anyone else's.

I don't know if that makes sense. But for example, I really adore my engagement ring. PS GTG's it gets comments like "wow that's so much more delicate in real life." And it is, the stone is not big at all, and even with halo it's very understated. But I like that about it. I know it's a high quality piece but it's not an in your face ring, despite the halo. And that's why I wanted a plain shank, other than the practicality, because it makes it less blingy.

So that's what my thought process is. At least, the best I can describe.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1464749316|4038788 said:
tweeter8177|1464748582|4038782 said:

Okay so that is a fabulous find and you are a rockstar! You know why??? Cause those are the EXACT stone sizes I was looking at! The center is 5.5 just like that 65 pointer. The sides are 4.4 like 35 pointers. And the smallest stones are 20 point side at 3.8.

So that ring let's me imagine, very accurately, what my band would look like, only with smaller bezels and lower on the finger. It's not too blingy at all. In fact it looks "just right." Of course now I wish I were coming to the GTG in Vegas so I could try it on (and ask Grace to bring it).

I have wanted a graduated band for a while as well. It's actually the design I discarded in favor of the Aurora band originally. The hardest thing is not being able to try something like it on my hand before buying.

But I am going to go to a few jewelry stores in the next few weeks and try on a band with 25 pointers again. Just to see how I feel about it. It's been at least 2 years since I've tried one on.

I appreciate all the feedback you all are providing. You are really helping me a lot.

Oh I am so glad that was helpful!! I adore that ring and have looked at it several times (online of course)! It would be soooo much easier if we could try on everything we like IRL instead of viewing it on the internet!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What size finger do you have Gypsy?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
marcy|1464743641|4038739 said:
MissGotRocks|1464737519|4038694 said:

MissGotRocks said exactly what I was going to say. I've found if I deviate from what I originally wanted I eventually go back and buy what I intended to get in the first place. :wavey: :wavey:

What a fun project for you though.

Thank you Marcy and MissGotRocks. I'm going to try to make a trip to the San Francisco Jewelry Mart in the next month or so and try on a ton of things just to see what where my head is at.

I've tried on lots of bands, but never a bar set seven stone with 25 points (as most don't carry that), so if I am going to find something close it is likely to be there. Hopefully that will help me make up my mind.

I am leaning toward the graduated band though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1464750139|4038795 said:
What size finger do you have Gypsy?

6.5 :wink2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1464733573|4038663 said:
dk168|1464732763|4038656 said:

Shoot! You are right! It would be really blingy.

I suck at this. I can help 1000 people on RT but am hopeless for myself.

OMG an emerald or tsavorite n the Liv would be crazy beautiful!!!

Yeah, a 5 stone would be blingy if you put a large stone in the center, but I don't see it too blingy with the size stones we are talking about and in bezels!

I see the graduated bezel 5 stone band as the bridge between the plain bar set band and the lovely antique Tiffany ring above. I am very similar in that I love classic jewelry, and I love antique style jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results