shape
carat
color
clarity

Would anyone buy an I1 clairy diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

varshini

Rough_Rock
I saw this diamond at this store. It is an I1 clairty
7.gif
bbut a G colour? It was sooo beautiful. Would anyone ever buy this. And is there any ways to check fo visible includsions?

V

DBM

Shiny_Rock
I1 graded by GIA can be a big toss up. It could be a really nice inclusion which is close to eye clean or it could be a big ugly blotch. If the inclusion has been shown to you and after then taking a step back and looking at the diamond you still think it''s beautiful then you may have a great thing going for you, buying a diamond that you feel is pretty at a discounted price.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock

Kind of harsh, don't ya think???

Many people have beautiful I-1 diamond jewelry! My mom has a 2+ carat I-1 that would stop you in your tracks.

It's also important to look at who graded the I-1 stones you're seeing. A GIA/AGS I-1 is likely to have been graded stricter than a random certificate from "XYZ jewelery appraisers".

It is possible, even likely, that you will see inclusions in an I-1, but it doesn't mean that it detracts significantly from a beautifully cut stone.

Not an expert, just my 2 cents!:)

ETA: SORRY! Not so harsh upon second glance-I thought you said "Why would anyone buy an I-1...?" hehe
17.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on the inclusion! There a few ladies here on PS with I1 stones. A white inclusion that isn''t as noticeable as a black one would be preferable. Other people simply think of them as ''birthmarks'' and like to be able to identify their stone on plain sight.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes people buy I1 diamonds.
They cost less than SI2s, which cost less than SI1s and so on.
This allows people to get a larger stone, or higher color or cut, or afford that nice platinum setting.

Everyone has different comfort zones.
Nobody is wrong to buy an I1.
Nobody is wrong to buy an IF.
Yet here there is a tendency here on PS to direct people to the mid clarities.
I don't really understand that.
I can understand directing people to better cut though.

And calling the I1 "discounted" does not seem accurate to me.
If you got an SI1 for the price of an I1 that would be discounted.
But getting an I1 for the price of an I1 is not discounting.
It is getting what you paid for.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/6/2007 5:29:12 PM
Author:varshini
7.gif
bbut a G colour? It was sooo beautiful. Would anyone ever buy this. And is there any ways to check fo visible includsions?

V
There are way more I1''s than SI2''s and higher...., thats a fact!!!
So you can figure that more people own I1''s than SI2''s or higher clarities...

I1''s are not discounted material..., on the contrary, beautifull I1''s in the colorless range are very much sought after..., and can bring in nice premiums...

Remember, there is no such thing as an UGLY Diamond....

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
the stones in my avatar wrap are I-1s. nicely cut

i also own I-1 leverbacks from jared''s. they are so sparkly and fluorescent. i can''t see anything in them with the naked eye.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
7.gif

V
It would depend on so many things.... I really like clean stones and bought a VS2 BUT if the cut was awesome, it looked good to me, and the price was outfreakingstanding - I might consider it... but it would also depend on what it is for. An earring? sure, why not.... the #1 main diamond that I have? I doubt it...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very recently, I bought two I1 stones, ASG O and GIA XXX, branded, heart and arrow, ideal cut--one H colored and the other an I. They are marvellous, and altho I can see the inclusions with the aid of a loop, and I made the right decision in chosing these for my earrings. They are sparkle bombs.

In my search, I found other lower prices stones with higher clarity, but not as well cut. I chose cut and have absolutley no regret in their clarity designation.

cheers--Sharon

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I think that if it''s eye clean and the cut is ideal, why not go I1? But...I recently had my SI2 stone appraised and asked a lot of questions of the certified gemologist while I was there, because, well why not? Anyways he did caution that in general there can be some concern with I1, I2, I3 diamonds because at times these inclusions are structural and could jeopardize the safety of the stone. They could surface, or they are near the girdle, etc. So perhaps it matters where the inclusions are, i.e. how they are situated on the stone? And also, when setting a heavily included stone into a setting the process of tightening the prongs alone could chip, crack the stone if the inclusion is just so.

Maybe an expert can weigh in.

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
7.gif

V

This is kinda funny. "is there any way to check for visible inclusions?"...

Ofcourse! If you look at the stone and you can see inclusions then they are visible!

Now having said that - it also depends on your vision. But it sounds like you already saw the stone and think that it is beautiful - could you see anything in the stone? Ask for the plot, so that you know where the inclusions are and look again. Even use the loop. If you are happy with what you see then it could be a beautiful bargain that you are picking up.

I would personally love a great I1 stone - I have a SI2 and never find the inclusions except with the loop. But if you have a stone that is beautiful to your eye then go for it!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely consider an I1 stone. Especially if it was easily covered with a prong and not an issue of durability. I would consider an I1 more for earrings and pendants, but I still wouldn''t rule them out for an e-ring stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely I would buy I1 clarity and have done so twice with great results.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results