shape
carat
color
clarity

Would an oval G/VS diamond show color in yellow gold setting?

HudsonGal

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone. I’m looking at oval diamonds and wondering, would a G/VS (GIA or GCAL) show color in yellow gold setting? Or should I go with an F/VS instead to be safe? Thank you!

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone. I’m looking at oval diamonds and wondering, would a G/VS (GIA or GCAL) show color in yellow gold setting? Or should I go with an F/VS instead to be safe? Thank you!

A diamond with a yellowish tint will look yellower set in white.
But the cut and the size have a huge bearing on how much color you will see.
In 10ct well cut F will show a lot of yellow in the crushed ice areas.
1ct G (with no fluorescence to assist the color) with a poor cut will show some yellow.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
It depends how colour/tint sensitive you are. I have a .33 G MRB set in yellow gold and it looks just as white as my 1ct F marquise in yellow gold. The larger your G, the more you may notice it in white gold but I think a G is safely white in yellow gold.

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock
A diamond with a yellowish tint will look yellower set in white.
But the cut and the size have a huge bearing on how much color you will see.
In 10ct well cut F will show a lot of yellow in the crushed ice areas.
1ct G (with no fluorescence to assist the color) with a poor cut will show some yellow.

This is surprisingly very true. I saw a gorgeous, very sparkly and well cut 10ct F color oval at Harry Winston that showed a lot of yellow / warmth.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is surprisingly very true. I saw a gorgeous, very sparkly and well cut 10ct F color oval at Harry Winston that showed a lot of yellow / warmth.

This would not have happened in Harry's day. It would almost certainly have had strong blue fluorescence and looked like a D!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My cushion is an H in 18k yellow gold. It looks whiter in the yellow gold than it did in 18k white gold..
CBA2F195-11FB-4D8E-B87B-661F0EE49977.jpeg

HudsonGal

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone! Your comments have been very helpful.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
The stone in my avatar is a K! It looks pretty good in yellow gold. Also, which do you prefer?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results