shape
carat
color
clarity

Would a recut fix window of this tourmaline?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's about 4 carats, blue green tourmaline. The window bugs me but got it at a very low price. Once I have it tested, I was thinking of a recut to fix the window...would that work? How much would a recut cost me?

img_20160727_095937.jpg

img_20160727_095927.jpg

img_20160727_095840.jpg

img_20160727_095813.jpg

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
An examination for identification would be fine but a full report should wait until it's recut. This article might help https://www.gemsociety.org/article/recutting-gems-maximize-value/.. Examination of the stone by a master cutter would be needed to guess how good the stone might become. I'm sure it can be improved, the question is, how much weight would be lost and can the window be closed completely. Dan Stair, who cut the stone in the article, is on the vendors list stickyed on top.

MissouriRiverSapphireCo

Rough_Rock
Trade
Lovely color there and and *looks* like a good recut candidate provided you're willing to accept the loss of carat weight, and potential loss of some saturation. I should mention that anytime a gem goes through the cutting process there is an element of risk. Inclusions and fractures can appear seemingly out of nowhere, especially with tourmaline. The cleaner the gem the lower the risk, but it is ever-present. Expect to pay somewhere around 200$ for precision American faceting. Best of luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. What is the current Length x Width x Depth dimension in mm? If too shallow, the loss is too great for a recut.

2. How high is the crown? If it is a flat topped stone, the girdle will have to be lowered, and there will be significant weight loss, which will result in both a smaller stone and potential decrease in saturation or pop of colour.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your stone is windowed because it is cut too shallow. The last few tiers of facets are cut at an angle to low. So you really need a deeper stone to remove the window, and of course you can't add more stone, so what needs to happen is the ratio of depth to width most likely needs to be modified. This will result in loss of face up diameter. I would think to recut this stone for top performance will result in about 30 to 40% total loss.

I think Missouriversapphireco meant there could be a loss of TONE, not SATURATION. Satuaration in a blue green tourmaline is a measure of how little gray modifier there is in the stone. Cutting will not alter the amount of gray in the stone, but it could effect the tone as the stone will end up smaller. But, the dead area in the center will be gone, so overall the stone would become more attractive.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you got it at a very low price, perhaps it is not a natural stone. That color, with that clarity, would be pretty expensive.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If recut you could lose some of that pretty color, and of course the size as its been mentioned. if you need a well cut stone, then look into getting it recut (I don't know how much it would cost, depends on who does the recutting!) someone who's experience would be able to give you a better clue to how much would have to be taken off. For me, color is king, but its nice to be able to have both if it comes in a ready made package.

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
You will need a side view of the stone showing depth and pavillion angle.
As mentioned you will lose on diameter and it may come out slightly lighter.
A lot of Tourmaline is also lightly heated these days and have a tendancy not always handle re-cuts well.
This one was a 4.25 ct poorly in cut in emerald cut shape, with some nasty inclusions towards the end.
The re-cut ended up 2.85 ct, but in a much nicer radiant cut that showed off the salmon colour better. We went this small to get rid of most of the inclusions at the end.

imgp0513.jpg

imgp0073.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results