shape
carat
color
clarity

Would a lab grown diamond report indicate coating as a “post-growth treatment?”

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Saw this diamond and thought it might be coated. Lab report just says “post growth treatment.”

IMG_0998.jpeg IMG_0999.jpeg IMG_0996.jpeg

Maybe this diamond is not coated and it just has a white inclusion and blotchy color zoning. But asking theoretically… Do reports for LGD put coating in the same “treatment” category as irradiation or heat? Can we rely on reports to say a stone is not coated? We can at least rely on reports to say stones are a diamond through-and-through versus a LGD-coated moissanite, right? Not implying anyone did anything bad here. Just trying to help everyone make informed choices, especially folks who like collecting weird stuff.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
cvd blue blue = nuked + heat treating

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here's the Loupe360 video:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's the Loupe360 video:
You are amazing DJ
Yup, it is a wide open surface crack (trade jargon to confuse consumers = feather).
So there is no evidence that the white space is anything other than a wide open crack.
FYI - to tell if an inclusion reaches the table, if there is no doubled image (internal reflection from the table) it is on the surface - the white diamond pic below is internal:
1688093892295.png

1688094278259.png

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, guys.

Appreciate your help @DejaWiz The website where I found the diamond only gives videos after you request them.

@Garry H (Cut Nut) Why is the crack white? I thought heat/radiation changed the diamond color through and through but are all the color treatments only surface treatment? Or is there some optical property that makes the light returned from the crack in an irradiated/heated diamond look like a different color than the rest of the diamond?

‘Ok so just to be sure, @Karl_K , if a LGD has an IGI report that says the diamond is CVD with “indications of post-growth treatment,” that would NOT include coating, right?

Again, thanks all.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Garry H (Cut Nut) Why is the crack white? I thought heat/radiation changed the diamond color through and through but are all the color treatments only surface treatment? Or is there some optical property that makes the light returned from the crack in an irradiated/heated diamond look like a different color than the rest of the diamond?

‘Ok so just to be sure, @Karl_K , if a LGD has an IGI report that says the diamond is CVD with “indications of post-growth treatment,” that would NOT include coating, right?

Again, thanks all.
I think it is just reflecting the bright white lights from the video set up

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have reached out to a contact at IGI to try and find out how they would report it. It may take a while to get an answer.
The diamond in question is not coated, its nuked and heat treated.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with Garry it could be a reflection.
It also could be the color change did not take on the open feather area for some reason.
Or it could be something in the crack.
Weirder stuff has happened.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am sorry I posted this in the wrong thread earlier.

Here was the reply I got from my contact at IGI.
"IGI will not issue a ND or LGD report for stones with non-permanent treatments like dyes, coatings, etc.
To be permanent a treatment must alter the stone at the molecular level."
IGI link that talks about treatments:

https://www.igi.org/gemblog/are-post-growth-treatments-permanent/
Just for fun, chicken treatment/cleaning for gemstones and pearls.

https://www.igi.org/gemblog/chicken-cleaning-and-heat-treatments-what/

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry I posted this in the wrong thread earlier.

Here was the reply I got from my contact at IGI.
"IGI will not issue a ND or LGD report for stones with non-permanent treatments like dyes, coatings, etc.
To be permanent a treatment must alter the stone at the molecular level."
IGI link that talks about treatments:

https://www.igi.org/gemblog/are-post-growth-treatments-permanent/
Just for fun, chicken treatment/cleaning for gemstones and pearls.

https://www.igi.org/gemblog/chicken-cleaning-and-heat-treatments-what/

Thanks, that was helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results