shape
carat
color
clarity

Would a hidden halo help to disguise colour?

Alicer2014

Rough_Rock
Sorry if I sound a bit picky! I love my diamond when its face up - it sparkles like crazy and I love the size. But in my current setting, the profile is really 'visible' and in some lights, it makes it look yellow. It's a J colour.

I've been looking into hidden halos and think they look really nice, and I wondered if it may help to disguise the colour from the sides if I got a setting with it or make it worse?! I would be looking at diamonds in I/J (colour of the centre stone) w/ platinum prongs.

Pictures of my ring attached, along with what I'm hoping to change it to. Any thoughts welcome!

20201227_180739.jpg

20210125_140743.jpg AirBrush_20210116001647.jpg 20210126_152304.jpg Screenshot_20210126-152052_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• 20210125_140734.jpg
    20210125_140734.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the best way to go about this:
How upset would you be about ‘wasting’ money on a new setting if it didn’t make you happier with the look of your J?
If you would be remorseful - I think you need to get a higher color graded stone to make you happy. And probably more than a couple grades higher.
Your ring is beautiful, by the way.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I say reset in the hidden halo if you love the look and want it not because it may camouflage the color of your center, because I don't think it will to you. I'm not color sensitive at all, so I struggle with understanding the issue some have with it (I know its real and I'm in the minority. My OEC is O-P). I look at your diamond and current setting and I think its drop dead gorgeous!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the best way to go about this:
How upset would you be about ‘wasting’ money on a new setting if it didn’t make you happier with the look of your J?
If you would be remorseful - I think you need to get a higher color graded stone to make you happy. And probably more than a couple grades higher.
Your ring is beautiful, by the way.

+1 to this.

It is about mind clean, in that a physical alternation may not be sufficient to satisfy one's niggling mindset that the stone is a "J" and not good enough.

DK :))

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it’s an amazingly beautiful ring as is. But you have to love it.

And no, I don’t think that type of setting will hide the J color. It might highlight it even more. I agree that a bezel might hide the color.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
I‘ll be the dissenter. I think it would help hide the side color. I had a nearly 2ct I color that was likely a low I. I loved the stone from above, but was surprised at the side tint my eyes would catch. It was a 4 prong setting and was very open. All you saw was diamond from the side! Although I liked the setting, I had kept it budget friendly as an upgrade was already a consideration then (For size).

I ultimately upgraded for size, but went up to an H in the process as well. I invested more in the setting as I don’t plan to upgrade again. The new setting in my profile pic has a hidden halo and ‘yes’ the diamond is a color grade higher, but it’s also almost a carat larger. I never notice side tint, but I also notice that I no longer have an unobstructed side view as I am now looking at the halo. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wondered if I would have put the first stone in this setting if I would have ever been bothered by side tint. I love my H and found a good price combo since it’s an SI1, but feel my own journey has led me to believe I would have been just as happy with another I in my hidden halo setting.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
That looks like a great J - I had an I and I put a halo and I still saw color from the side and it bothered me. I went up to an F but my sweet spot is G/ high H. What I’m saying is in the end viewing it from the side and seeing warmth from the side bothered me.....I’m a purist and obsessive so it was get a new diamond.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the profile is really 'visible' and in some lights
In some lights (warm white LED, halogen, incandescent), even E/D looks yellow.

The last photo shows that your J is colorless against the white background and cool white lighting

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
First, your diamond is beautiful. Whatever you decide at least know you do have something pretty.

A bezel might hide the side view enough that you don’t see the side-color, but a hidden halo probably would not at that size of diamond. You would still see yellow between the top of the hidden halo and the top of your diamond. So it might look worse because then you have a white hidden halo, a white top view of your diamond, and a yellow strip in between.

I feel you about the side-view... I used to have an I color 2 cts round. I was so happy to have a big diamond (back then) but then after wearing it a lot and seeing it more and more from the side, the side view made me sad. It’s hard to get out of your mind. Once you’ve seen it you can’t unsee it. You start to see it every time you turn your hand a little bit.

‘Have you ever been to a jeweler who had various empty settings that they used to place loose stones in to show you how they looked in different rings? You could visit a jeweler and ask them to loosely put a J color diamond in a hidden halo, a bezel, and a platinum prong like what you have now so you can compare.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you wanna hide, hide big. Get a setting that has more coverage on the side.

There are setting that have more intricate baskets that can cover more if the side view. However my gut says you would be better of going with a higher color than try to hide something you’re not happy with. You know it’s still there...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results