shape
carat
color
clarity

Would a GIA cert specify "transition" cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
My ering was purchased as an original 1940s ring from an antique and repro dealer. My gia cert states it is a "round brilliant," as does a subsequent appraisal. In the few years I've had it, though, I've wondered if it is truly a "modern" cut or perhaps a more transitional cut. The age of the ring itself makes me wonder, but I am largely curious because of the stone's appearance. For lack of a better term, the facets seems to throw off "chunky" flashes. The stone has a ton of fire and life, but the fireworks are plain old different than all the other round stones in my life. At least one jeweler has remarked that the stone looks "different" than a traditional round, but none of those jewelers were GG.

I absolutely love my stone. I just knocked a prong loose and it is at a trusted jeweler. The knowledge that I could have lost my beautiful stone terrifies me. With that in mind, though, I want to know for sure if it is truly a modern round brilliant or something transitional for the sake of (hopefully never!) dealing with my insurance company.

Therefore, would GIA specify a transitional cut stone on a cert, or not? If not, would any of you suggest an appraiser who would be well equipped to determine a modern vs transitional stone?

Thanks!

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
The GIA cert for my OEC also states " round brilliant" so I guess maybe GIA doesn''t specify these old cuts on their cert...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results