shape
carat
color
clarity

Would 3/4 eternity band made w/ 0.25ct+ stones look silly?

rossi46

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who responded positively to my question about using an eternity band as the e-ring. That's what I'm planning on doing, barring some last-minute reversal from my gf to buy a solitaire instead. :bigsmile:

She has tried on everything from eternity bands made of 0.10ct stones up to 0.50ct stones (yes, it was insane). I think the sweet spot is in the 0.25ct to 0.33ct range. However, I had been leaning towards only doing a 3/4 eternity band, with the stones wrapping around from the "8 o'clock" to "4 o'clock" position (as on a clock). Reason being: we live in NYC, which means riding the subway, getting in and out of cabs, walking heavy grocery bags a long distance home, etc. I feel like diamonds on the underside of the finger would be apt to be damaged or, worse, become loose. I could be totally off on this, however.

I've not been able to find pictures of 3/4 eternity rings with stones in the 0.25ct and up range. Would the transition from the last diamond on each end to the flat metal look goofy? It's not an issue with smaller individual stones, as they're just not that tall. But if the diamonds are 0.30ct each, will the ring end up looking in-elegant? What makes this more difficult is the fact that no vendor will do a CAD for me to compare until I'm ready to buy, and I'm still in the saving phase.

Should I just go with a full eternity? :think:

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Re: Would 3/4 eternity band made w/ 0.25ct+ stones look sill

What about a 7 stone ring? It would be much more comfortable, the transition from stones to metal would look more elegant and there would be no issues with spinning. It is also less expensive.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For similar reasons, I went with a 5 stone from IDJ that gives me edge to edge finger coverage. Also, I like that if I'm feeling uncomfortable in my surroundings, I can turn the ring upside down with the plain band on top.

Since you are in NYC, I would suggest dropping in at ID Jewelry and trying on some more rings. Ask for Yekutiel and tell him you are a Pricescopers. We are pickier than your run of the mill jewelry shopper :lol: , and that prepares them lolol.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

I agree with the non-full eternity idea for New Yorkers, for all the reasons listed--when some shady person is eyeing your finger on the subway you turn it around so only the plain band shows. And carrying heavy bags of groceries with diamonds pressing into the sides of the adjacent fingers?? Ouch!

Go to Brian Gavin Diamonds, click on "Wedding Bands" then "Women's Diamond Bands" to get ideas. He has about a trillion different bands with many combos of stone sizes, different profiles, halves, three quarters, fulls, etc. I think somewhere else on the site are 5 and 7 stone bands as well. It may give you a better idea of what you are looking for, and then going to IDJ as suggested to actually design and order the ring seems like a brilliant idea.

rossi46

Rough_Rock

I'm very familiar with IDJ and Brian Gavin.

Would like more input on the question of larger stone eternity rings. Does it only make sense to do full eternity? Would the transition from stone to olain metal band loom weird?

Does anybody have pictures of rings with 0.25ct and up stones that are not full eternity?

rossi46

Rough_Rock

Bump

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is my five stone Memoire ring with .40 stones - so 2 ct. total. I get the finger to finger coverage without the worry of diamonds on the underside to damage with bags, doorknobs and steering wheels - lol!

untitled__5_0.png

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

I will say that I have a couple of much smaller eternity rings, and the benefits of them are that, if the ring spins (because eternity rings should be equally balanced in terms of weight all around, they will spin), you still see diamonds no matter what way it's turned.

But for larger stones, an eternity ring presents the problem of diamond between the fingers (can be uncomfortable; some people don't mind, but trying on for comfort is key--I've seen many threads here on people who had their eternity bands reset into more comfortable settings!) as well as the risk of damaging the stones that come in contact with whatever you touch throughout the day (someone above mentioned doorknobs, I am also thinking steering wheels, AND other people--some moms don't like wearing any rings because of fear of scratching their child).

So I would suggest having her try on eternities in the size you are thinking and specifically think about comfort and lifestyle. If a big blingy look is desired, I think a 5 stone or 7 stone would achieve the look at a fraction of the cost, and partially eliminate the concerns of comfort and lifestyle. If you want the eternity band because of the symbolism, why not get a smaller, more delicate eternity band as the wedding band? A small eternity band could easily be worn next to a 5 or 7 stone band. In fact, that's what I do with my ring stack pretty regularly.

rossi46

Rough_Rock

MissGotRocks|1461203207|4021913 said:
Here is my five stone Memoire ring with .40 stones - so 2 ct. total. I get the finger to finger coverage without the worry of diamonds on the underside to damage with bags, doorknobs and steering wheels - lol!

Thank you very much! Monster stones, and a very beautiful ring.

Do you have a picture of the side of the ring? Or a profile shot? Specifically, the transition from the band to the "first" diamond and then from the "last" diamond on the other side to the band again.

How thick is the band where there are no stones and it's just metal?

rossi46

Rough_Rock

rubybeth|1461242102|4022008 said:
But for larger stones, an eternity ring presents the problem of diamond between the fingers (can be uncomfortable; some people don't mind, but trying on for comfort is key--I've seen many threads here on people who had their eternity bands reset into more comfortable settings!)

My gf has tried on eternity bands at a variety of different shops in the area (Tiffany, Harry Winston, DeBeers) ranging from .10ct stones all around up to 0.50ct stones all around. 0.40ct was her stated upper limit, both in terms of ostentatiousness and comfort.

If you want the eternity band because of the symbolism, why not get a smaller, more delicate eternity band as the wedding band? A small eternity band could easily be worn next to a 5 or 7 stone band. In fact, that's what I do with my ring stack pretty regularly.

This will be her second marriage, so we're staying away from the common solitaire + eternity band as "wedding ring" combo. Eternity band as e-ring is a little different and she loves the idea. And, there is part of me that wants the stones on the eternity (or 3/4) to be... impressive. ;))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a 7 stone with 20 pointers so smaller than what you are looking at. Here are a few pictures that may* help you.

Top view so you can see what 20 pointers look like...btw, its from IDJ.

Profile view

Side view

And one more view

If I were getting it for a stand alone band (with no e-ring), I would go with 30 pointers if budget allows. How big is your GF's
finger? I like the way mine goes across the top of my finger (full coverage) but I dont have anything in between my fingers
so it is comfortable. Also, for me, mine tends not to twist too much because of where the stones start and stop. I would say
if your GF wants an eternity though you should probably get her what she wants (with a sizing bar).

img_20160202_153649991_hdr.jpg

img_20160130_144536552.jpg

2016-04-21_07.jpg

2016-04-21_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results