shape
carat
color
clarity

Worthy buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

April

Rough_Rock
:wavey: Hi!!

I am seriously considering a .41 FVS1 GIA certified diamond which cost US$1,000. The symmetry and polish is very good and good respectively. I matched the figures on the certificate with the ideals that I learned from the Holloway Cut Adviser and they were near perfect.

However, there was a mention on the certificate that the diamond had a cavity which raised some concerns. It was near the girgle according to the jeweller. Although I couldn't seem to find it with the help of a 15x loupe, I was wondering if this would pose a problem.

On top of that, I'm also worried that this diamond could be a treated diamond cos of the price (I thought it's really cheap for such specifications). Thus I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise if GIA certifies treated diamonds. And is the jeweller obliged to reveal to the consumer that the diamond has been treated (my jeweller definitely didn't breathe a word on that)?

Also, how can one compare the value of a treated diamond and a entirely natural diamond? Assuming that 2 diamonds were of the same colour, clarity and all, but one's treated and the other is entirely natural, how much should the price of the treated diamond be discounted or will it not be?

All in all, I'd appreciate advise if the above mentioned diamond is a worthy purchase.

Many thanks & regards,
April ;))

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA do not grade treated diamonds - they reject them.
If the cavity is so small dont worry about it. A natural piece of the rough diamond on or under the girdle is common and is not a worry. The price is great but believable.
Garry Holloway

April

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the assurance Garry!

BTW, (sorry to be such a bother) but just to make sure, when I said treated diamonds, I was referring to enhanced ones (e.g. clarity enhanced or the like, using laser or whatever method). Hope you were referring to the same (cos I just realised that treated diamonds also referred to diamonds which were colored)?

Many many thanks,
April :))

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
April your not a bother. That's what these boards are meant for. Ask away, get educated! The professionals are here to assist you.

margaret

Rough_Rock
Hi APril

I was researching on diamond and got excited when I realised that you are in Singapore - I assume. Have you bought the diamond from Whiteflash yet? Can you share your experience pls? Were there other cost on top of the price quoted by them, e.g. custom duties, etc.....

Pls advice, Margaret

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
A cavity would be viewed upon as an inclusion during the grading process. Given that this is a VS1, I would speculate that this cavity is a very small one...

Is this cavity located near, or on the girdle?

kirk

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results