shape
carat
color
clarity

Worth getting this ring appraised? Or no way

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello! So I picked up this vintage yellow gold and diamond single cut band. When I received it, I saw that it had a Cartier stamp on it. Cartier wasn’t listed anywhere in the listing (I purchased it from an antique dealer on ruby lane). I did a quick search on the web and saw a couple of rings with the same stamp, and several were imperfect like mine (although not imperfect in the same way). Most other info on the web about Cartier Hallmarks is focused on love rings, etc.

I don’t care about brands at all but if there was a chance it was Cartier, I’d want to get it appraised and confirmed (as much as it could be). There are no other hallmarks on the ring. I feel silly even asking this of my fellow PSers as this is probably a well loved knock-off (it has a lovely patina and the stones are excellent) but I’m curious. Thanks!
8D94C229-5047-4936-AC74-389492124825.jpeg

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @RetroQT. Since this ring is older, I’m not sure if all of the conventional wisdom applies. And that’s a true “I don’t know” as I don’t know anything about signed jewelry! Good info in that article, though. I’m quite sure it’s just stamped as such and isn’t Cartier. I’m a bargain shopper who likes what I like so the maker truly isn’t important to me but the stamp got me thinking.

I did not pay a signed piece price so I’m happy just to have a pretty single cut band in yellow gold, which I couldn’t find easily.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks @RetroQT. Since this ring is older, I’m not sure if all of the conventional wisdom applies. And that’s a true “I don’t know” as I don’t know anything about signed jewelry! Good info in that article, though. I’m quite sure it’s just stamped as such and isn’t Cartier. I’m a bargain shopper who likes what I like so the maker truly isn’t important to me but the stamp got me thinking.

I did not pay a signed piece price so I’m happy just to have a pretty single cut band in yellow gold, which I couldn’t find easily.

well then we need a happy hand shot

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen a few vintage bands with cartier stamps on the outside and had the exact same question about authenticity. I never quite trusted that they were authentic, but wssnt sure that they aere fake either.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've seen a few vintage bands with cartier stamps on the outside and had the exact same question about authenticity. I never quite trusted that they were authentic, but wssnt sure that they aere fake either.

My thoughts exactly!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for this @RetroQT! Maybe I should have it looked at just to see. I found the appraisers list on PS and wonder if any have experience in old Cartier? I’ve never had anything like this appraised so I don’t know if that matters.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm out of my league here, probably shouldn't even respond, I don't know much about all of this...but I had the same thought as you @eapj, would an appraiser know any more than us about vintage Cartier, and could they even say for sure if this is the real deal or not? After seeing the pics in this thread, I do feel hopeful that it is. Anyway, it's a beautiful band and a very cool find!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMO (I am not a prosumer) a CARTIER fake would not include antique style single cuts. IMO they are a niche item, considered old school (a taste that is superseded by MRB melee), and it’s a lower value type of ring (ring guard for something bigger) not a showcase branded piece.

Nowadays antique single cuts go for a premium over MRB cut melee (last I checked). So IMO, its likely real and vintage (not a careful modern fake of a vintage piece).

I wouldn’t care either way, it’s very pretty the way it is, so I personally wouldn’t appraise it.

Last edited:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMO (I am not a prosumer) a CARTIER fake would not include antique style single cuts. IMO they are a niche item, considered old school (a taste that is superseded by MRB melee), and it’s a lower value type of ring (ring guard for something bigger) not a showcase branded piece.

Nowadays antique single cuts go for a premium over MRB cut melee (last I checked). So IMO, its likely real and vintage (not a careful modern fake of a vintage piece).

I wouldn’t care either way, it’s very pretty the way it is, so I personally wouldn’t appraise it.

Thanks for this. I agree with all of this and feel lucky to have found it!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am usually not very quick to call out a fake...but this is a fake, imo. It's not that someone created a fake Cartier ring from scratch -- it's just that someone put a sloppy, crooked Cartier stamp -- where the letters are not even in register -- on a pre-existing ring. I am not a Cartier connoisseur, per se, but is the "E" usually double-stamped and in subscript? I would think that Cartier would have a stamp for their whole name (!) and would not require painstaking stamping letter by letter. I believe this is why the seller -- who certainly could see this stamp -- did not sell it as a Cartier piece.

EDIT: On a hollow piece or curved surface -- like one example above -- this may not be the case but this surface is nice and flat.

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 11.27.44 PM.png

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am usually not very quick to call out a fake...but this is a fake, imo. It's not that someone created a fake Cartier ring from scratch -- it's just that someone put a sloppy, crooked Cartier stamp -- where the letters are not even in register -- on a pre-existing ring. I am not a Cartier connoisseur, per se, but is the "E" usually double-stamped and in subscript? I would think that Cartier would have a stamp for their whole name (!) and would not require painstaking stamping letter by letter. I believe this is why the seller -- who certainly could see this stamp -- did not sell it as a Cartier piece.

EDIT: On a hollow piece or curved surface -- like one example above -- this may not be the case but this surface is nice and flat.

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 11.27.44 PM.png

Thanks for this @LilAlex. You’re probably right. I know nothing about signed pieces. I was just excited to find a high quality yellow gold single cut band for not much money. The diamonds are really great in person which is why I thought maybe authentic but that E also threw me off. But I’m clueless in this arena!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results