shape
carat
color
clarity

Worst Insult --- Best Compliment

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s another insult from my dad: in college I was contemplating breaking up with my BF of 2+ years, and my dad says "I don''t think he''s the right person for you, you need to be with someone as materialistic as you are."
6.gif
7.gif
38.gif

Gosh, I think I may need some therapy after divulging these things in this thread, lol!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Hard to think of absolute best and worsts but here are a few:

Best Compliment- One was on my wedding day, a couple that were friends of my DH, when they had a chance to talk with us at the reception, the husband said, right there in front of his wife & my new DH, "you look SSSOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!" Even though when I later saw my wedding pictures I hated them, I always remember that compliment and how totally sincere he sounded.

Not sure if this would count as an insult or what, but LAJennifer's story reminded me of this:
Once when I was about 25, a co-worker and I were out somewhere at lunch. She was about 23 years old. We had both come from work, but I was in a skirt, a little more dressed up, new perm, makeup etc. She had on jeans, sweatshirt, no makeup, and possibly "hard-hat hair" because of her job requirements at the time. This man saw us and said, (to me) "is that your daughter?"
6.gif
The two of us were just floored! I was like, "I don't want to look old enough to be your mother!" and she was like, "I don't want to look young enough to be your daughter!"

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 11:57:37 PM
Author: KristyDarling

Date: 2/22/2007 11:41:25 PM
Author: monarch64
Worst insult was probably from my father when I was 19. I'd gone to college for 3 semesters, only to drop out because I hated the first major I chose (radio/t.v./film--I wanted to be a news anchor
6.gif
) and while I was at home contemplating going back to school my dad had this frank conversation with me in which he stated 'some people just aren't cut out for college. Why don't you look into something community college related, such as interior decorating or floral design or something?' It pissed me off enough to make me go back 6 months later and graduate pretty much on time anyway...with a B.S. in fashion merchandising/marketing. I think he still has no clue what kind of impact he had on me by sharing his 'wise' opinion.
38.gif
Monnie -- your dad sounds like my dad!!! No matter how hard I tried and how much tutoring I got, I failed AP calculus during my senior year, so Dad decided that I would never amount to anything other than being a musician. (never mind that I got straight As in everything else, including AP bio, physics, and chem) He said, 'You don't have what it takes to succeed in business, law, or medicine....so why don't you just go to college for music. You have no other talents.'
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
The worst part was, at the time I took that to heart. I felt SO horrible about failing calculus that I thought I was a dummy and not suited to do anything but music. That's one of my biggest regrets now....that I had sold myself short.
It's funny, I have a story that's almost the opposite. I remember talking to my parents on the phone from college, and I was so discouraged with the difficulty of my engineering courses I was crying. My Dad said, "If those idiots at (co. where he worked) can do it, so can you!"
3.gif
I did stick with it.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 8:41:06 AM
Author: hlmr

Date: 2/23/2007 7:35:23 AM
Author: anchor31

Date: 2/23/2007 1:56:25 AM
Author: musey
Hmm, first ones that come to mind?

Worst: In high school, a girl who liked my then-boyfriend told him that he shouldn''t date me anymore because I was ''so pale she looks like she''s from Canada'' (really random, I know, but I hardly ever show my legs to this day
20.gif
)

Best: A saleslady at Fred Segal ''tipped off'' a paparazzo about me while I was shopping. The guy followed me around taking pictures for almost 10 minutes and I was really confused... I finally asked him why he was taking pictures of me and he said that the saleslady told him ''she''s so pretty, she must be a celebrity'' but neither of them could figure out who I was. So he was taking pictures of me just in case his boss could figure it out later! Made my day. Well, made my LIFE more like!!!
3.gif
Then I went home and told my then-roommate and she just said ''really? that''s so weird!''
20.gif
talk about ruining the compliment.
What?
Oh come on Anchor, you know how pale we all are up in here Canada, living in our igloos, where the sun only shines a couple of times a year!
9.gif
31.gif
ROTFLMAO!!! Darn, I forgot to feed my sleigh dogs this morning... Oh, and did you see that flock of beavers pass by yesterday?
20.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
One other story came to mind - not an insult or compliment to me. A friend of mine in elementary school wrote about another girl in a note to me: "Jane* wouldn''t be bad if she''d change her personality and her looks."

I don''t think she even meant it as an insult, but that statement always cracked me up. The poor girl!

*not her real name

treysar

Brilliant_Rock

Isn’t it weird how you can remember a comment from like, 20 years earlier, becaue it either hurt really badly, or meant so much?

Insults:
I was in 6th grade in sleep away camp, at a dance, and this skinny, pretty, popular girl whispered in my ear “you look and dance just like horse”. And then she NEIGHED at me! I swear to this day I hear neighing whenever I get out on the dance floor, lol.
Another – My Mom was on the phone with her friend, and I heard her say, “tracey is getting really chunky”. I was in 8th grade – and, I was getting chunky. But to hear my own Mom say it? UGH! I ws so upset!

Compliments:
I was upset about a Statisics class that I failed 3 times in college – I was so upset, I basically threw a fit and was crying, and told my mom that I was so embarrased and that I felt that I was stupid, and that they weren’t proud of me. And My Mom said, “Tracey, you are a good person. Everyone who knows you tells me that you have a huge heart. I raised 4 good daughters. I couldn’t be prouder. To me, that is what is most important.

I think about that often.

Another one: DH played me a song that he heard and said he thought of me. It was “the Luckiest” by Ben Folds. It was so nice – the words were so sweet!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 11:50:00 AM
Here''s another insult from my dad: in college I was contemplating breaking up with my BF of 2+ years, and my dad says ''I don''t think he''s the right person for you, you need to be with someone as materialistic as you are.''
6.gif
7.gif
38.gif

Gosh, I think I may need some therapy after divulging these things in this thread, lol!
Lol – I was just thinking the same thing!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 11:37:51 AM
Author: KristyDarling
Sevens -- your turn!!!

I love reading everyone''s posts. This is a fun thread.
1.gif
I just thought of a couple more, both from my DH.

Worst insult: when we first started dating, he said that the true measure of a woman''s attractiveness is how good she looks in jeans. I put on my favorite pair for him, and he looked at me for a long time without saying anything. Then he said, ''Do you have, like, really short legs or something?''
29.gif
He''s STILL paying for that one!
And you married this guy??
9.gif
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 12:24:18 PM
Author: treysar

Insults:
I was in 6th grade in sleep away camp, at a dance, and this skinny, pretty, popular girl whispered in my ear “you look and dance just like horse”. And then she NEIGHED at me! I swear to this day I hear neighing whenever I get out on the dance floor, lol.

6.gif

Well, you should have turned around and kicked your heels up, just like horses do.
27.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I''ll tell one because can laugh about it

worse insult: riding the bus early high school, it was really crowded, people were literally crouched in the aisle so I wondered if it was over capacity so I turned around and started pointing and counting, and some boy yelled out, "what are you doing, counting your zits?" with everyone laughing

Yes, I had everything going for me first 2 years in high school; total nerd with glasses, braces, skin breaking out, 100 pounds on a good day. And yes, filled out, lost the glasses and braces, and people on the street compliment me on my skin (oily skin makes you look younger?) however my self-perception was formed more in that early time, so it catches me by surprise when I am complimented.
The most frequent comment I get is about my eyes, which are green. Too many times to count I have been stared at and approached by strangers who comment on my eyes. They have been called beautiful, hypnotic, mesmerizing, piercing, etc.

The biggest compliment I get now is when people say that now they know where my daughter''s looks come from-her mother-, because I think she is just the most beautiful thing.

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
A simple one liner that always does both: When a beautiful young woman learns how "old" I am and comments:

"You look great for your age!"

I always smile and think, your day will come.. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best compliment...Aside from the wonderful things FI says to me: I was getting a pedicure before my Law School graduation and this woman, who wasn't old-- forties maybe, looks over to me with this fond smile and says, "I remember my prom-- you must be so excited." She looked a bit dazed when I told her the real occasion for the lavender toes.

Worst insult. I was a child and my aunt told me I was... basically a little b*tch because I stood up for myself to one of her mean friends. I love my aunt but she likes quiet obedient children and hates conflict.

ETA: Another insult... backhanded compliment. I gained weight in lawschool... about 3 dress sizes. When it came time to try on wedding gowns I was very excited to go to klienfelds with my mother-- she flew out from CA for it and everything and I was imagining a real bonding experience. A couple of dresses in she looks at the sales lady and says , "You know, I didn't think it was possible, but Layla actually looks nice in these dresses." The poor sales lady was flabbergasted and kept telling me, when we were alone that I was a pretty girl with a very nice voluptous figure.

Gotta love family.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I just thought of another really bad insult. I was living in England and was riding my bike one day, and the town where I was living had these funny spots where bikes could scoot up in front of traffic in case they wanted to turn (or something like that). Anyway, I was being absent minded and cut in front of a bus unexpectedly. The driver leaned out hte window and started cursing at me. And then he SPAT and then he said ''What the &*$$. If I run over you, it''s only paperwork to me anyway.''
6.gif
7.gif

I knew it was my fault. And he was a total stranger. But gosh! What a horrible mean thing to say!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
emembarrassed.gif
sorry guys- (I''ve been MIA-)

Compliments- Anytime I am compared to either my father or my mother. (nothing could be better than that)

Also- once a guy told me I was "perfect"- he had nothing to gain- so it was a definite head swelling moment.

Another nice one- Last year when I was buying my new vehicle- in the conversation with the finance guy, it came up how many children I have, he called in two other guys to say "look at how good she looks" (They already had the sale
9.gif
)

Insults- I''ve had too many to count- I''m thick skinned from them - which is a blessing and a curse I guess.
I don''t like getting insults about my cooking. My father always said "your mother has worked hard to prepare a nice meal for you- respect that" I believe that as well.

One insult which got to me because it was about my Children!!! don''t mess with my kids!

I got into a verbal altercation in a parking lot with another woman. She thought I was going to back up and hit her but I was just manuvering my vehicle- I clearly saw her. Well she slammed on the horn and made some hand jesture at me.

She got out of her car after parking and I realized she was still muttering things about me. We got into it- I told her the hand jesture was unnecessary- She said I must be on medication (Huh? WTF??)

finally she comes close to me and says "Your children must be ugly because YOU are ugly" again, WTF???

We were both heading into an elementary school to vote (ha) I looked at the pollsters and said " can you believe this woman?"

I got her back later- when she was trying to leave the parking lot- I blocked the exit and sat there for a few good moments.
It was precious. What a nut!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 4:07:59 PM
Author: sevens one
finally she comes close to me and says 'Your children must be ugly because YOU are ugly' again, WTF???
6.gif

I am amazed at how rude people can be, especially women....

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"I got into a verbal altercation in a parking lot with another woman. She thought I was going to back up and hit her but I was just manuvering my vehicle- I clearly saw her. Well she slammed on the horn and made some hand jesture at me.

She got out of her car after parking and I realized she was still muttering things about me. We got into it- I told her the hand jesture was unnecessary- She said I must be on medication (Huh? WTF??) "

Sevens, I had a similar experience once when a lady with a small child in her backseat pulled up next to my car, opened her door and slammed it right into the passenger door of mine...of course I made the "WTF" face, and she came around to my window and said if I was going to get upset over that than I needed some Prozac. Never mind the big dent in my car door...I needed medication because I reacted with shock that someone would be so careless.
20.gif
Since she had her 4-5 yr. old kid in the backseat of her car I thought it best to cut my losses and leave...it wasn''t even worth it to me to pursue any action against her to get my door fixed because I didn''t need the stress of ever dealing with her again.
9.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 7:58:20 PM

Sevens, I had a similar experience once when a lady with a small child in her backseat pulled up next to my car, opened her door and slammed it right into the passenger door of mine...of course I made the ''WTF'' face, and she came around to my window and said if I was going to get upset over that than I needed some Prozac. Never mind the big dent in my car door...I needed medication because I reacted with shock that someone would be so careless.
20.gif
Since she had her 4-5 yr. old kid in the backseat of her car I thought it best to cut my losses and leave...it wasn''t even worth it to me to pursue any action against her to get my door fixed because I didn''t need the stress of ever dealing with her again.
9.gif

I would have asked for her license & insurance information, and took down her license plate number, just to teach her a lesson. Poor child in the back.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m not sure if this is a compliment or an insult...A few hours ago my front yard was crawling with 11-12 year old kids. A few girls were walking by and knew my 11 year old from their class so they stopped to chat. My 12 year old son and his friend continued riding their bikes. DH was outside with the kids and I was upstaris with our daughter. I went out to see the kids and DH just thought I was one of the 11 year old girls!!!! I guess he didn''t see me come out and mind you I don''t look myself today (a bit of a cold, no makeup, hair pulled into a ponytail, wearing sweats), but, I certainly think I look older than 11!!!!!!! I don''t know...is it good to be a mother or 11 and 12 year olds and look their age????? I''m a little sensitive because I am pretty young to have kids their age (especially in my area) so I guess that''s why I''m a bit UNflattered by his, ''Oh it''s you'' comment!!!
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 12:00:19 PM

Worst: In high school, a girl who liked my then-boyfriend told him that he shouldn''t date me anymore because I was ''so pale she looks like she''s from Canada'' (really random, I know, but I hardly ever show my legs to this day
20.gif
)

Best: A saleslady at Fred Segal ''tipped off'' a paparazzo about me while I was shopping. The guy followed me around taking pictures for almost 10 minutes and I was really confused... I finally asked him why he was taking pictures of me and he said that the saleslady told him ''she''s so pretty, she must be a celebrity'' but neither of them could figure out who I was. So he was taking pictures of me just in case his boss could figure it out later! Made my day. Well, made my LIFE more like!!!
3.gif
Then I went home and told my then-roommate and she just said ''really? that''s so weird!''
20.gif

What?

Oh come on Anchor, you know how pale we all are up in here Canada, living in our igloos, where the sun only shines a couple of times a year!
9.gif
31.gif
ROTFLMAO!!! Darn, I forgot to feed my sleigh dogs this morning... Oh, and did you see that flock of beavers pass by yesterday?
20.gif
Hey, this was "crazy-girl-who-had-a-crush-on-my-ex-boyfriend" that said it, not me...
20.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2007 8:23:07 PM
Author: ForteKitty

Date: 2/23/2007 7:58:20 PM

Sevens, I had a similar experience once when a lady with a small child in her backseat pulled up next to my car, opened her door and slammed it right into the passenger door of mine...of course I made the ''WTF'' face, and she came around to my window and said if I was going to get upset over that than I needed some Prozac. Never mind the big dent in my car door...I needed medication because I reacted with shock that someone would be so careless.
20.gif
9.gif

I would have asked for her license & insurance information, and took down her license plate number, just to teach her a lesson. Poor child in the back.
Right, but you know, I was honestly worried that she was sort of a ticking timebomb and maybe if I did or said anything to make her already bad attitude worse she would take it out on the child...

Plus at the time I was driving my 4 yr. old Toyota Corolla and I knew from prior door dent experience that paying my deductible would probably be more than the cost of labor and repairs to the door.

And did I mention I was in the drive through line at a McDonalds? Yeah, she pulled up right next to me where I had pulled up to wait for my whateverwasbeingfried meal to throw something into the trash bin and that''s when she slammed her door into mine. It wasn''t the easiest situation to deal with as she had me pretty much parked into the curb there anyway. But yes, if there had not been a child in her car, you better believe it would have been ON, high deductible or not!
9.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2007 1:20:10 AM

Date: 2/23/2007 12:00:19 PM

20.gif
)

3.gif
20.gif

What?

9.gif
31.gif
20.gif
Hey, this was ''crazy-girl-who-had-a-crush-on-my-ex-boyfriend'' that said it, not me...
20.gif
Oh, I know you didn''t say it musey. I wasn''t offended....actually quite the opposite.....just having a laugh at perceptions in general.
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I''m still chuckling at the flock of beavers.
9.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2007 9:10:05 AM
Author: Ellen
OK, I''m still chuckling at the flock of beavers.
9.gif
Me too, Ellen!
10.gif

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Insult:
Since I went to a small private school, I got to go to prom every year of high school if I had a date. My freshman year my good friend and I went to Neiman Marcus to have our hair and makeup done. We went to Givenchy. I had a terrible complexion that year and was already sensitive about it, but I had to go bare faced for the makeover. The woman who did my makeup took me by the chin, tilted my face into the light and said loudly, "My dear! You look like you have the chicken pox!"
I WANTED TO DIE!

Compliment:
At our reception in August, I was saying goodbye to my Godson through the window of the car. He was 3 at the time. He was starting to watch a DVD and there was a preview for Cinderella and he said, "Look, Cricket! It''s you!" Awww! I just wanted to snuggle him for an hour! You gotta love the innocent honesty and sweet love of little kids! Plus, I love that he calls me Cricket!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 12:34:23 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/23/2007 12:24:18 PM
Author: treysar

Insults:

6.gif

Well, you should have turned around and kicked your heels up, just like horses do.
27.gif
OMG, you guys crack me up. If I ever need a good laugh I can just find some post by Ellen teasing others. Hee hee.
Treysar, You made me laugh thinking everytime you go out onto the dance foor you hear neighing! LOL LOL LOL!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best Compliment: When I was in college I worked at a clothing store and one of my coworkers and I went out to eat. This lady with her friend at a table next to us turned to talk to my coworker and myself and asked if we were models. We laughed and said no, but it made our day!

Also, in college a movie star I saw at the ski rental shop was giving me the "Hey baby look."
9.gif

Insult: During a firedrill in high school some boy told another boy that I had the biggest butt he had ever seen.
7.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Worst insult: When I was at a club and a pair of drunk guys were deciding which girls they were going to try to take home, having been shot down by all the 'pretty girls'. I didn't hear what one of them said, but his friend answered "Yeah man, but look at her moves" (as in, she might be a dog but her dancing says she'll be good in bed). I looked over at them in scorn only to realize that they were talking about me.
15.gif
To this day it makes me tearful to think about it.

Actually, I take that back; I think the worst was when a guy told as a young teen that sex was my only avenue to land a man because I was 'so ugly it was the only way [I'd] ever get a man'. Hello, 5+ years of anorexia.

And then my FF wonders why I don't believe him when he tells me I'm beautiful.
20.gif

I think my best compliment was being told that my design for a play, despite being totally original and very daring, was 'textually flawless', or being told by one of my hard-to-please crabby professors that I was 'brilliant'.

Edit: I didn't post this because other people seemed to be posting more casual compliments, so I thought maybe people were taking this sort of thing as 'a given', but the compliment that makes me the most glowy inside is when FF tells me he wants me to be his wife, and how much he loves me.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually i thought of what for me is a huge compliment from my husband....he always SWEARS i'd make a fabulous lawyer and wants me to go to law school. he's been harping on it lately, especially since he just served on a jury and would come home every day going 'oh you could SO be a great trial lawyer'...he said something like 'the way you can think quickly and be razor sharp mentally, and when in an pinch pull something out of your head that makes no sense but sounds good'...and i was like 'awww honey. that's so sweet'.

he has said since day one i'd be a great lawyer (i love debating with him and he is so not good at it, he gives answers like 'because i like it' and i'm like WHAT?!) and that i totally missed my calling as some sort of trial lawyer. i know some don't think much of lawyers, but the 'compliment' part for me is that he thinks i'd be so awesome at something that to me takes a ton of hard work and a savvy type of intelligence to accomplish.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2007 11:52:57 PM
Author: Skippy123
Best Compliment: When I was in college I worked at a clothing store and one of my coworkers and I went out to eat. This lady with her friend at a table next to us turned to talk to my coworker and myself and asked if we were models. We laughed and said no, but it made our day!

Also, in college a movie star I saw at the ski rental shop was giving me the ''Hey baby look.''
9.gif

Insult: During a firedrill in high school some boy told another boy that I had the biggest butt he had ever seen.
7.gif
There''s an appropriate response to that statement, but it''s not appropriate to say it here.
9.gif
2.gif

You know, this thread is a prime example of how cruel kids can be. A lot of these posts are from when we were young. It''s a testament to how hurtful words can be, and how long they can stick with us.

I didn''t get a lot as a kid, but the few I did are still with me. This is the exact reason why I brought my boys up to NOT say cruel things to kids. I''m sure I failed in some areas, but this wasn''t one of them. I was adamant that they treat everyone with respect, and if I heard otherwise there would be hell to pay. It worked, not only did they not go around teasing kids, they often stuck up for the ones being picked on.
16.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, that is so true. I actually said a few cruel things as a kid, and I still remember them and how they hurt the other person. I had a few cruel things said to me as well. When I was growing up, bullying was something everyone wanted the kids to work out amongst themselves. Fortunately, we know better now. We are so fortunate that our elementary school is all over bullying. The kids rally around others who are being picked on because they have been taught about bullying at school. Our middle school is a totally different story, and I''m seriously thinking about homeschooling during that period. Middle school seems to be where so many of the lesser teachers and principals end up. Who DOES want to teach middle school when kids are at there worst age, but at the same time, that''s when kids need the most social guidance. The principal at our middle school has the philosophy that this is the time for kids to make their mistakes because the consequences aren''t as long lasting, and I could not disagree more. I think that''s the time when kids are beginning to make VERY life altering mistakes. It''s a very fragile time, and a lot of people here have expressed that in this very thread. Too bad the schools are still figuring that out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results