shape
carat
color
clarity

worrying about cut dimensions (newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vest

Rough_Rock
I am pretty far along in the process of buying my first diamond, and my center stone looks amazing to me (which i know is most important), but I am worried that the cut is not as ''ideal'' as I was told.

it''s a .70 ct round brilliant
5.5 - 5.53 x 3.61
65.5% depth
57% table
crown angles - >35 degrees
girldle - slightly thick to thick
no cutlet
polish/sym - ex/ex

I am buying this from a jeweler who is fairly close to me, I know they would never try and cheat me, but they may be so excited about the engagement that it''s hard to question the beauty of the rock ... kind of a hard situation. The ''cut'' is very important to me though. and from what i''ve found on the net, the depth is probably my worst feature, what will my stone lack as a result of these numbers? I appreciate any help!

also ...
clarity - vs2
color - G
flour. - none
price - 1900

assuming i get the response i''m assuming i''ll get about the depth % ... would you consider this a good deal, all things considered?

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
The stone is cut very deep. You can definitely find a stone with a better spread and larger diameter for same carat weight. I would probably shop around and skip on this one.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the Forum Vest.
The price on the .70 G VS2 of $1900 is very good. It would be even better if the diamond was Ideal cut, which it is not. Ask this jewelry friend if he will take that same diamond back in a year or so and give you what you paid for it with a trade-up. A diamond with a 65.5% depth is just going to be another diamond among thousands. If you want something special for that special lady, I suggest you find a special diamond. If one of her friends ever owns a super ideal cut with true hearts and arrows and she sees it, she is going to wonder why her diamond does not look like that?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
WIth that much depth % the stone will appear significantly smaller than an Ideal depth of closer to 60-61.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I agree with all others. 65.5% is, indeed, deep. It will look like a ~0.60ct stone.
But it has been priced accordingly... 1900 is an excellent price.
If you say it looks so nice (and this is the most important thing) and the jeweler has a good trade-up policy... Then why not? I mean, you know it's not ideal, but it looks nice and has the right price. We don't have additional details, so we cannot predict possible light leakage. I suspect there would be a fairly extended leakage, though.
To sum up, if you want to buy locally and this one looks good to you, then you could get it. 1900 for a GIA G/VS 2 is nice and seriously consider the option of getting a larger (and shallower
2.gif
) stone in the future.
1.gif

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Please have a look if there's any Hearts on Fire diamond dealer somewhere near you. These are overly expensive, but you could compare your 65.5% depth stone with an ideal make diamond and see which one you prefer.
1.gif

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Vest,

You're are absolutely correct that the diamond is not as "ideal" as you were told - Not with a 65.5% depth. With that kind of depth, the diamond is a "below average" diamond that is probably a poor performer. And the annotation that the crown angle being greater than 35 degrees doesn't bode well.

The positive... it is not a bad price for that color and clarity.

Is the jeweker trying to sell you a diamond within a prescribed budget that you gave him/her and picked this diamond as best fit the bill? Or, did this clsoe jeweler friend of yours picked out this diamond and try to convice you that it was a great diamond and then gave you the price as an afterthought?

If price is of utmost concern to you, then you are better off going down in color and clarity. That is, H/I color in the SI1/SI2 range.

rodent.gif

vest

Rough_Rock
I truly appreciate all of your help!

You guys seemed to support my concern, and it kept nagging me. Since I plan to only do this once
1.gif
I went ahead and matched the carat size and even upgraded to F color with excellent-ideal dimensions from another dealer. The avg. diameter went from 5.5 to 5.8 for the same carat ... that leads me to believe I am going to get a lot better performance, and bang for my buc. I'm still having my original jeweler do the setting and side stones, and he wasn't making any money off this sale anyway, so he isn't too concerned. I'm happier to be well informed and buying quality than naive and being led into a 'good deal'.

Now to stop worrying about the rock and start worrying about the trip.... I am surprising her on top of the Eiffel tower
10.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
That's nice to hear!
wavey.gif

Paris is beautiful!
1.gif

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Vest,

Congrats on finding a diamond that you are happy with. Best wishes on the proposal - but the Eiffel Tower??? I hope you don't get too nervous and drop the ring off the top of the tower -
wink2.gif
naughty.gif

Now the ring is settled there are a lot more to be worried about but in the end it'll all work out.
rodent.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Vest, how wonderful! Good choice with the better diamond, and oh wow, Paris! She will remember that romantic setting for sure.
10.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay I am so glad that you got the better diamond in the end! So many times people come here AFTER the fact and after a return policy has expired or similar and realize that they have been misled.

Lovely proposal idea, we love to see pictures of the ring and stone when you have it!!
1.gif

vest

Rough_Rock
yes, she is going to flip out
10.gif

i won't have seen her for 2 months by the time i get there, so it will be quite a surprise ... i aim to please, haha.

thanks again, i feel so much better about the rock, and i will be sure to get some pictures up when i get it back from being set!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results