shape
carat
color
clarity

Worry about diamond size

Johny92020

Rough_Rock
Hello to all,
I just bought this diamond, G, vvs2, xxx, 2.3 carat and while trying it out on my fiancée's finger, I have started to doubt.

I m wondering if maybe I should have gotten something larger with lesser grading.

Do you guys also get the feeling that this stone looks small on her finger?

Please let me know your opinion,
Thank you

20150810_162313.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous, but only your fiancé can say whether she would rather have a lower color/lower clarity stone that's larger. Most here will say you can easily go down to a VS2 for a totally clean diamond. Some are perfectly fine with an eye clean SI1, but that's a personal preference. If it's a mind clean issue, then VVS2 is great. But some feel why pay for something you can't see. Even a VS1 will be very clean.

As far as color, that is something that you can see more readily. G is a great compromise in that it will be nice and white, but you are not paying for a true colorless diamond.

You could look at what you can get for a G color, VS2 and see how much larger you can go.

Something also to consider, loose diamonds will tend to look smaller than when set. So the diamond will look a little larger set in a ring and when on the finger.

I think it really depends on if your fiancé would rather have a larger stone. It looks really beautiful in the photo.

How will you/she set it? Solitaire? Halo?

Johny92020

Rough_Rock
Thank you, for your words of wisdom.
She wants a yellow gold solitaire.
I feel like maybe I should have gone 3 carats in I or J instead of the G 2.3, maybe a better bang for the buck and a larger stone that cover more finger...

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, what does she want??

There is a pretty big difference between a G and a J (and an I for that matter). Is she color sensitive? Some of us would not want a 3 carat I or J stone and would much rather have a 2.3 carat G stone.

When you say bang for the buck, it's really contingent on what her preferences and wishes are. For all we know, this is the perfect diamond in her opinion and so therefore you got a lot of bang for your buck.

What is her input in all of this discussion?

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
Johny92020 said:
Hello to all,
I just bought this diamond, G, vvs2, xxx, 2.3 carat and while trying it out on my fiancée's finger, I have started to doubt.

I m wondering if maybe I should have gotten something larger with lesser grading.

Do you guys also get the feeling that this stone looks small on her finger?

Please let me know your opinion,
Thank you

2.3 carat is such a huge stone anyway, bigger is not always better. This stone can never look "small" on a finger!

It's like this in a cruder sense: would you rather a slab of chuck steak or a fine piece of fillet? I think a G colour offers a lot of the D-F "colourless" look for a lot less money. I also like clarity of VS1 minimum. Personally I love the specs you have chosen, get a loupe out and appreciate it even more.

This stone deserves an open setting to appreciate the clarity and colour when viewed side on.

Having said all of this in a gold setting I do think a warmer diamond would work, platinum traditionally used for high colour diamonds.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone looks large on her hand. Personally I would not want anything larger because this one looks right proportionately. Also, there is that great feeling of wearing a high-quality stone. Just my humble opinion. It depends on how she feels, of course, but to think this stone looks small isn't even logical.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Um, it basically covers her entire finger, so I don't think that's small! Keep in mind that a setting will add some visual 'size' to the stone--like a 6 prong solitaire setting. Add a blingy wedding band, and I think she'll be good. :love:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth said:
Um, it basically covers her entire finger, so I don't think that's small! Keep in mind that a setting will add some visual 'size' to the stone--like a 6 prong solitaire setting. Add a blingy wedding band, and I think she'll be good. :love:

+1

Remember that stones always look smaller unset. This stone already provides good finger coverage. As Rubybeth said, it will look as fair bit larger in its eventual setting.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I also remember reading somewhere on Pricescope that somebody figured out the ideal size for a diamond to not look overly huge (or fake) was to not go larger than the width of the fingernail on which the ring will be worn. Based on the photo of your girlfriend's hand, I think you've gotten the perfect size (it's not larger than the nail on the ring finger, but almost *exactly* matches the width so will look substantial without looking so large that people assume it's fake). :appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm - a conundrum! I like the size of the stone you have, but I also like larger stones, especially since I have larger fingers. What size is her finger and how far above her finger are you holding the stone in the photo you posted? If it's not very close to her finger or resting on it - your photo will make the stone look bigger as it's closer to the camera.

What sort of setting are you planning? If you're doing a halo, the 2.3 would be a lovely size. For a solitaire, tho, there are a bunch of women here with stones in the 3+ct range, and they don't seem overwhelming. So if you want to go bigger - go bigger!

I also don't think that going below VVS - or even VS - and a G in color makes a stone 'chuck steak'. I'm attaching a photo of my 2.15 H SI1 stone. it's a little dusty in the photo (you can see dust on the stone, but also the same dust on the band) and you should be able to see that this is both eye clean and very white. And if you're planning on setting in yellow gold you could EASILY carry an H colored stone - or even warmer. I'm also attaching a photo of my 3.11ct K colored stone - also SI1 - to give you an idea of how great a well-cut K colored stone can look in yellow gold.

I think 2.3ct for a stone is lovely - especially depending on your fiancee's finger size. But bigger is also better, and VVS2 is definitely not necessary for an eye clean stone, and stones can be tint-free as low as J in color. Certainly with an H VS2 you should be just fine. And a significantly bigger stone would be within your reach. And just to add - Blue Nile's Signature stones are eye clean down to SI1 - it's part of what they guarantee under their signature stone banner. This might be worth considering. But probably most companies short of the elite brands (Tiffany, Harry Winstone, Cartier, etc) could get you a larger stone with lower color and clarity but equally good cut specs that would still look fabulous to the eye.

Can I ask where you got your stone and what the GIA report looks like? DId you get an ASET or an Idealscope report with it?

ETA I'm laughing here because I just realized I typed 'Harry Winstone'! I'm going to leave it tho - it's an understandable Freudian slip!! :D

_33175.jpg

img_8903.jpg

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
It really really depends on what she is comfortable with. I own a VS1 "I" color and I would without a doubt go bigger with the same specs! I would love a G but honestly I would rather have a stone with my specs if it meant I could go bigger. Has she seen any H or I or J color stones in person?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Johny, I wish my husband thought like you lol - the diamond certainly doesn't look small on her hand. That said, if you can go bigger by lowering the specs I'd probably be up for it; you only live once. I'd be good with an H VS2, probably even an I. How does your fiancee feel about it? She might be comfortable with this size and the specs, it does look lovely and substantial on her hand.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Good humblebrag.

Johny92020

Rough_Rock
Once again you words carry great wisdom, thank you.
When we were selecting stone she was ok up to I in the color range.
We both did not like most SI1 we saw at dealer because if we looked closely we could see black crystals with our naked eyes.
Now of course I also understand that there is a wide range of SI1 stones and some appear flawless to the naked eyes.

I m not sure if I mentioned this before but my fiancee wants a four prongs yellow gold solitaire setting, very similar to the cartier 1895 ring. She likes the simplicity of the setting that emphasize on the solitaire, and the warm color of the gold.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
rubybeth|1439305554|3913313 said:
I also remember reading somewhere on Pricescope that somebody figured out the ideal size for a diamond to not look overly huge (or fake) was to not go larger than the width of the fingernail on which the ring will be worn. Based on the photo of your girlfriend's hand, I think you've gotten the perfect size (it's not larger than the nail on the ring finger, but almost *exactly* matches the width so will look substantial without looking so large that people assume it's fake). :appl:

+1. I agree this stone looks perfect on her finger! :love:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the size looks AMAZING. If you dont want to go to SI1, you can always goto VS1 or 2. Even in the same colour, it should get you a bit more size, dropping the colour will get you even more. Go look at more and see what she prefers?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it looks small but i also like larger stones. If she's comfortable wearing a 3ct solitaire, I'd drop to H or I VS2 or eye-clean SI1. It'll have more presence in a simple setting.

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
I think the diamond is perfect on her. And I love the idea of simple gold setting, such a classic ring.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone looks terrific and definitely doesn't look "small." Very few people would consider that "small" unless there's a keeping up with the Joneses or co-workers concern hidden in your question. Personally, I would be concerned about putting such a large stone in a 4-prong setting though. Be sure you get a high quality setting, and do have the prongs checked regularly... maybe make it an anniversary tradition?

(I say that because my mother wore a 2+ carat diamond in a Tiffany-style setting for about twenty years, and the diamond fell out of its setting twice in that time. The first time, she noticed that it was gone when she arrived at work. It was in the parking lot, near where she had parked her car. The second time she found the diamond in her purse. She then switched to a more protective setting. ;-) )

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1439334770|3913503 said:
I think the stone looks terrific and definitely doesn't look "small." Very few people would consider that "small" unless there's a keeping up with the Joneses or co-workers concern hidden in your question. Personally, I would be concerned about putting such a large stone in a 4-prong setting though. Be sure you get a high quality setting, and do have the prongs checked regularly... maybe make it an anniversary tradition?

(I say that because my mother wore a 2+ carat diamond in a Tiffany-style setting for about twenty years, and the diamond fell out of its setting twice in that time. The first time, she noticed that it was gone when she arrived at work. It was in the parking lot, near where she had parked her car. The second time she found the diamond in her purse. She then switched to a more protective setting. ;-) )

Holy tamole, VRB! For my own peace of mind - can you please tell us if your mother's setting was a 6 prong or 4 prong setting?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it doesn't look small and in fact, it isn't small! A 2.3 ct. diamond can hardly be considered small.

I probably could have foregone the VVS clarity but sometimes you find the right stone and the extra clarity is just a plus (although it does come with a premium in price). I personally wouldn't go down in color for a larger stone as this is a large stone. How does she feel about the size? Is she wanting something larger or is this just doubt on your part?

I think it looks beautifully proportioned to her hand and it will look a bit larger when set. You've done a good job - no worries!!

Johny92020

Rough_Rock
All your positive comments have helped me feel more confident about the stone we picked.

What I am currently thinking is that this is "our first rodeo" and we are going to try go one step at a time.
We are going to get it set and hopefully she ll love it, if not we will either go for another setting or we will look for another stone.

Honestly, when we saw the stone the first time we were breathtaken by its fire.
It s only later when putting against her finger, taking picture that I started doubting.
I think she would be to polite and kind to tell me what she really thought about the size except if it was an extreme (small or big).

I ll post the pic of the final ring when we get it.

Once again thank you so much for all your positive feedback, it really helps putting my mind at ease.

Johny92020

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1439343930|3913553 said:
VRBeauty|1439334770|3913503 said:

Holy tamole, VRB! For my own peace of mind - can you please tell us if your mother's setting was a 6 prong or 4 prong setting?

I m assuming from what I am reading that it was a 4 prongs setting.

Johny92020

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1439305882|3913316 said:
Hmmm - a conundrum! I like the size of the stone you have, but I also like larger stones, especially since I have larger fingers. What size is her finger and how far above her finger are you holding the stone in the photo you posted? If it's not very close to her finger or resting on it - your photo will make the stone look bigger as it's closer to the camera.

What sort of setting are you planning? If you're doing a halo, the 2.3 would be a lovely size. For a solitaire, tho, there are a bunch of women here with stones in the 3+ct range, and they don't seem overwhelming. So if you want to go bigger - go bigger!

I also don't think that going below VVS - or even VS - and a G in color makes a stone 'chuck steak'. I'm attaching a photo of my 2.15 H SI1 stone. it's a little dusty in the photo (you can see dust on the stone, but also the same dust on the band) and you should be able to see that this is both eye clean and very white. And if you're planning on setting in yellow gold you could EASILY carry an H colored stone - or even warmer. I'm also attaching a photo of my 3.11ct K colored stone - also SI1 - to give you an idea of how great a well-cut K colored stone can look in yellow gold.

I think 2.3ct for a stone is lovely - especially depending on your fiancee's finger size. But bigger is also better, and VVS2 is definitely not necessary for an eye clean stone, and stones can be tint-free as low as J in color. Certainly with an H VS2 you should be just fine. And a significantly bigger stone would be within your reach. And just to add - Blue Nile's Signature stones are eye clean down to SI1 - it's part of what they guarantee under their signature stone banner. This might be worth considering. But probably most companies short of the elite brands (Tiffany, Harry Winstone, Cartier, etc) could get you a larger stone with lower color and clarity but equally good cut specs that would still look fabulous to the eye.

Can I ask where you got your stone and what the GIA report looks like? DId you get an ASET or an Idealscope report with it?

ETA I'm laughing here because I just realized I typed 'Harry Winstone'! I'm going to leave it tho - it's an understandable Freudian slip!! :D

First of all thank you for the pics of your beautiful rings.
I cannot detect any inclusion, feather, crystal.... on your diamond, to show that an S1 is definitely a valid pick.
I m also amazed at your 3.11 carat K I can t even sense the yellow note in it!
If I may ask how did you come by such nice stones? Local dealer, online broker...big name jeweler?

I m sorry about the GIA papers I already put them away at the safe box at bank but if you have any major concern I don t mind double checking lol.
Got stone from dealer in LA (jewelry district) I could put you in touch if you wish although is a bit more expensive than pricescope but at least you can see, touch and inspect his stones under every angle.

Cheers,
J

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks fine, I personally would probably drop down to an eye clean clarity and get a larger stone but that is just me, or halo the stone if you want something that looks bigger. What size finger does she have?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results