shape
carat
color
clarity

Worried after purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ubiquitous

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I recently order an engagement ring from Blue Nile. I believe I got a great discount and after the initial excitement subsides, I''m starting to worry if this is actually a good purchase. After all, people always say "you get what you pay for". This is the rock that I order:

Round Brilliant GIA cert
0.91 carat F VVS1 Ideal cut
Table 58%
Depth 60.3%
Crown 33.5o 14%
Pavillion 41o 43.5%
Girdle Thin to Medium
Polish and Symmetry Excellent
Culet None
HCA score: 1.1 Light return, Fire, Scintillation, Spread are all Excellent. It also satisfies both GIA Exellent and AGS Ideal cuts.

Price is the one that got me excited and, ironically, worried: $6800. On the same Blue Nile site, similar stones are offer for $8000 - $9000. I can''t be that lucky, can I? Besides these basic grading categories, are there any other factors that affect the valuation of a diamond, like cracking or chipping or scratches? I only rely on HCA for quality verification and I''ve heard that HCA should not be used as a deciding factor. I don''t have GemAdviser or Diam.Calc so how can I get these tools? Pricescope experts, please help me confirm if my stone is a good one.

Thanks a lot

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2009 5:37:02 AM
Author:ubiquitous
Hi all,

I recently order an engagement ring from Blue Nile. I believe I got a great discount and after the initial excitement subsides, I'm starting to worry if this is actually a good purchase. After all, people always say 'you get what you pay for'. This is the rock that I order:

Round Brilliant GIA cert
Table 58%
Depth 60.3%
Crown 33.5o 14%
Pavillion 41o 43.5%
Girdle Thin to Medium
Culet None
HCA score: 1.1 Light return, Fire, Scintillation, Spread are all Excellent. It also satisfies both GIA Exellent and AGS Ideal cuts.

Price is the one that got me excited and, ironically, worried: $6800. On the same Blue Nile site, similar stones are offer for $8000 - $9000. I can't be that lucky, can I? Besides these basic grading categories, are there any other factors that affect the valuation of a diamond, like cracking or chipping or scratches? I only rely on HCA for quality verification and I've heard that HCA should not be used as a deciding factor. I don't have GemAdviser or Diam.Calc so how can I get these tools? Pricescope experts, please help me confirm if my stone is a good one.

Thanks a lot
Hi ubiquitous and welcome!

That looks like a lovely diamond you have purchased - no worries! VVS clarity is also very high, so no problem there and no need to worry about visible inclusions or damage.

If you wish, you can get an independant appraisal on your diamond once you receive it if this would put your mind at ease. Here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area. Some appraisers are also skilled in judging cut.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Also if you wished, you could order an Idealscope for $25 and take a look for yourself.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=2&ShowAdd=Y

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 5:42:50 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 1/16/2009 5:37:02 AM
Author:ubiquitous
Hi all,

I recently order an engagement ring from Blue Nile. I believe I got a great discount and after the initial excitement subsides, I''m starting to worry if this is actually a good purchase. After all, people always say ''you get what you pay for''. This is the rock that I order:

Round Brilliant GIA cert
Table 58%
Depth 60.3%
Crown 33.5o 14%
Pavillion 41o 43.5%
Girdle Thin to Medium
Culet None

Price is the one that got me excited and, ironically, worried: $6800. On the same Blue Nile site, similar stones are offer for $8000 - $9000. I can''t be that lucky, can I? Besides these basic grading categories, are there any other factors that affect the valuation of a diamond, like cracking or chipping or scratches? I only rely on HCA for quality verification and I''ve heard that HCA should not be used as a deciding factor. I don''t have GemAdviser or Diam.Calc so how can I get these tools? Pricescope experts, please help me confirm if my stone is a good one.

Thanks a lot
Hi ubiquitous and welcome!

That looks like a lovely diamond you have purchased - no worries! VVS clarity is also very high, so no problem there and no need to worry about visible inclusions or damage.

If you wish, you can get an independant appraisal on your diamond once you receive it if this would put your mind at ease. Here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area. Some appraisers are also skilled in judging cut.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Also if you wished, you could order an Idealscope for $25 and take a look for yourself.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=2&ShowAdd=Y
Ditto Lorelei. It looks like the diamond you chose should be beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results