shape
carat
color
clarity

Worried about reliability of E-Diamond...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

job

Rough_Rock
I recently had a 1.6 ct princess diamond sent to me which I purchased over the internet (fully refundable of course)... but I was sent a photo-copy of the GIA report rather than the actual document. Has anyone encountered this before, is it common to send copies of the report rather than originals?

I am going to get the diamond appraised but I was just curious about the cert!

Thanks,

J

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 4/26/2003 11:28:13 AM job wrote:
I recently had a 1.6 ct princess diamond sent to me which I purchased over the internet (fully refundable of course)... but I was sent a photo-copy of the GIA report rather than the actual document. Has anyone encountered this before, is it common to send copies of the report rather than originals?

I am going to get the diamond appraised but I was just curious about the cert!

Thanks,

J----------------
Hi J:-I would be a little alarmed as to this. I don't think it is common practice and don't see why the vendor in question would not be able to provide you with the original.....There's no reason the vendor should keep the original....

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sometimes the owner of the stone will only release a copy of the report until the sale is finalized. You should be able to get the actual, original report if you have finished paying and the deal is done. You should raise the roof if you don't get it. It is your REPORT ONCE YOU BUY THE DIAMOND.

In the normal course of dealer business, a stone with only a "copy" is like a person with only an unverified birth certificate photocopy. It is not official and not acceptable.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Like Dave said....my cert was not released from the dealer until the deal was done.

But, FYI, get it in writing that the sale is contigent upon receiving the cert. My cert was very slow in coming. I didn't really care; so, I didn't push that hard. I wanted it primarily for insurance purposes.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
A lot of dealers won't release the original until the sale is made because they've had so many originals lost or not returned by consumers.

I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Just tell them you'll send them the check after you've received the original. That should get it to you pretty quick.

job

Rough_Rock
Brilliant! Thank you for all of your comments... I feel much better about the situation!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results