shape
carat
color
clarity

Worried about I color diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RingaLing

Rough_Rock
So I'm thinking about purchasing a 1.60 diamond that scores well in the cut advisor and is VS2 in clarity. The price is nice but I'm really worried about the color being I. Does anybody have a thought on this?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Many people own and love I color diamonds. I'd set it in yellow gold (though there are people who like their I color diamonds in platinum) and if it's well cut, it will be beautiful.

Greentree

Rough_Rock
My wife wears an I, VS2 diamond. You really have to set the diamond side by side with a G to notice its slight yellowish tint. In its setting the gem will look great. Its superior cut will more than compensate.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I beg to differ.

Drop to SI1 and save money and go up 2 grades in color.

You WILL see the color in some light, and the cut thing only works from face on, look from the side and even the best super ideal cut leaks light allowing you to see the body color.
just my opinion :)

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
I have to agree with cut nut. Although may people prefer warmer colored stones it doesn't stand to reason not to drop in clarity and go up in color. This is purely just my opinion as I find an icy white colored stone more attractive.

RingaLing

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have the stone set in plat. So I think I'll pass on this and keep looking...

Tarpon44

Rough_Rock
When you say that you will see color in some light, will it be notacible only on close inspection, or will the color be notacable everytime you look at the diamond from a side angle. Just curious.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Daylight sitting in a cafe near the window - situations like that. Office light. You will just notice it from time to time. It may or may not worry you, but it would me.

Greentree

Rough_Rock
Yeah, but Cut Nut, you're an expert. You'd notice a little color a mile away. Very few in the public even know diamonds can be slightly yellow. On the other hand, an SI2 would scare me to death. I really don't like inclusions that I can spot by myself with a loupe. I once inspected a stone that looked clean through the table. I looked through the pavilion and found a nasty rust colored inclusion sitting vertically in the diamond. Its reflections made it look nastier than it really was, I'm sure. But I didn't want it. Simply knowing it was there would have bothered me for years. On the other hand, it is a handy identification mark. "My diamond is the one with the piece of crud in it!"

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Just a one girl's opinion...

I would go down in size, go up in color and stay the same in clarity.

I like WHITE diamonds and diamonds where you can not see any inclusions
w/ your naked eye. Therefore, I'd rather sacrafice size.

:wavey:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/24/2002 3:36:07 PM

Just a one girl's opinion...

I would go down in size, go up in color and stay the same in clarity.

I like WHITE diamonds and diamonds where you can not see any inclusions
w/ your naked eye. Therefore, I'd rather sacrafice size.

:wavey:
----------------

I'm with you! :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like to try to understand "girls thinking" girls.
Can either of you actually see SI1 inclusions? My experiance is that far less than 5% of people can, and I do test people on this many times a week in spots and shaded daylight.

or is the reason you would stay with VS2 rather than SI1 a more intellectual / feeely / snob thing?

PS I am not being nasty - I really want to know.

And if you are kind enough - other ladies - if I get more than 5 responses I will tell a great joke :)

buttercup

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 4/24/2002 6:35:47 PM

Can either of you actually see SI1 inclusions? My experiance is that far less than 5% of people can, and I do test people on this many times a week in spots and shaded daylight.

or is the reason you would stay with VS2 rather than SI1 a more intellectual / feeely / snob thing?

And if you are kind enough - other ladies - if I get more than 5 responses I will tell a great joke :)
----------------

My boyfriend is much better at seeing inclusions with the aid of the inclusion plot than I am. I'm pretty much blind to little white inclusions, even if there's a lot of them. But, once you get up to the 1.5ct mark, I can see inclusions in most SI1s. The other day I saw a 1.8ct GIA SI1 with a teeny tiny, but totally obvious ugly black carbon spot. The problem with SIs, to me, is that unless you have a jeweler checking them out, who knows what you might get. At least with a VS2 you pretty much know you there won't be anything eye-visible.
On the other hand, here's an SI2 that I'd totally have no problem with http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_36ct_h_si2.htm.
If someone like Jonathan says it's eye-clean, then there's no way that I'd ever be able to see anything in it.
Regarding color, I happen to be one of those weirdos that happens to prefer H/I/J stones. I don't know if it's my dark olive skin or what, but I just like these lower colors better. The icyness of D/E/F just doesn't appeal to me as much as "the little bit of sunshine" that seems to come out of the lower colors. But that's just me :cheeky:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/24/2002 6:35:47 PM

----------------

LOL! You like to understand our thinking, huh? Well, I have seen GIA graded SI1 inclusions in a diamond and didn't like it. I sent the stone back. I suppose it would depend upon whether I could see the inclusion or not. If I had to choose without seeing the stone first, I probably wouldn't choose SI1. If I were going to order the diamond and check it out, I might take that chance.

Snob? Me?
:-o

Oh, and thanks for calling us "girls". Good thing that I'm the type of woman who appreciates that sort of thing. That joke had better be good! ;))

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
I have to also agree with what the ladies suggested. :rolleyes: Must be a 'girl' thing. I have seen quite a few stones that are SI in clarity and spotted the inclusions. Sight unseen via the internet I would go with a VS.

As far as color goes, believe it or not, studies show that a woman's eye can pick up yellow quicker than a man :tongue:

Being a polymer chemist with a trained eye I can pick up yellow on a G color. Ever wonder why women work in color labs????:wink2:

Now, if I post this twice do we get a joke?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/25/2002 8:17:48 AM

Now, if I post this twice do we get a joke?
----------------

Find 1 more girl! I want to see this joke. :)

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Hi Lawmax:wavey:

If I could get into DT I would try to scrounge one up. However, their site must be down :((

I'm looking forward to this joke as well.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK OK
But 1st - if an SI 1 has a few small spots it is a safer bet than a stone with one bigger spot. Or even better still - 1 spot under the table will be smaller than a spot under a crown facet.

Guy on beach in Hawaii kicks bottle / rubs /genie says oh no you are the 500th today and I am plum tuckered.
I know it is supposed to be 3 wishes but its 1 or none!

Guy says I want a road from California to hawaii. Genie rolls his eyes and says "its 5 miles deep in places -too hard, I'll give you another wish but that is not on!"

Guy thinks for a minute and says "I would like to know what a woman is thinking"
Genie says 2 lanes or 3?

ChetLaura

Rough_Rock
Hi! I will be the fifth girl so now we can hear the joke. I have to admit though that I am not in agreement with an I color diamond. We just purchased an I SI1 diamond and could not be happier with the color and clarity. We were even unable to find all the inclusions (which are very few) under a loupe. As for color, well we are like the majority of the public - we cannot pick out the difference in a set diamond. I would love to put my diamond next to a good cut diamond that was G color to see if I could pick out the difference. We have put it next to diamonds in the mall jewlers, but that is where we can really see the yellow in their G diamonds and ours is just white!

Well - now maybe we can hear the joke!:appl:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/25/2002 8:42:33 AM

OK OK
But 1st - if an SI 1 has a few small spots it is a safer bet than a stone with one bigger spot. Or even better still - 1 spot under the table will be smaller than a spot under a crown facet.

Guy on beach in Hawaii kicks bottle / rubs /genie says oh no you are the 500th today and I am plum tuckered.
I know it is supposed to be 3 wishes but its 1 or none!

Guy says I want a road from California to hawaii. Genie rolls his eyes and says "its 5 miles deep in places -too hard, I'll give you another wish but that is not on!"

Guy thinks for a minute and says "I would like to know what a woman is thinking"
Genie says 2 lanes or 3?
----------------

Thanks Garry! An oldie but a goodie.
:appl:

ChetLaura

Rough_Rock
Thanks Leonid - It must have been posted at the same time that I was posting!

Cute Joke!

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Good joke Gary! :appl:

buttercup

Rough_Rock
:bigsmile:
thanks garry !

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
I can also spot inclusions in SI stones (with my 4-eyes)...that many of my other gal-friends can not see. This must be my observant as well as picky nature. It could be a "JAP" thing too...why settle????????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results