shape
carat
color
clarity

worn amethyst - what do you suggest?

I have a necklace and earring set that was given to a great-aunt as a wedding present. She wore the ring a lot and the stone is quite worn down. What can be done with it? What would you do? The stones are emerald cut amethysts.

And here is one of the necklace. It is very pretty, and I do wear and enjoy it.

img_10202.jpg

Bex

Shiny_Rock
I'd reach out to Jerry Newman to see if it would be possible to recut/polish the stone and maintain the same face up size. If it would make the stone smaller, I'd probably still have it recut and set into a necklace to make a full set, and then have a new amethyst cut for the ring

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might just need polishing, and you would lose negligible carat weight, and no face up size. Reach out to Jerry Newman as suggested. Very pretty set!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You may find it cheaper to just replace the stone. Amethyst is in commercial cutting can often be had for $10 to $20 per cut.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1450879956|3965284 said:
You may find it cheaper to just replace the stone. Amethyst is in commercial cutting can often be had for $10 to $20 per cut.

True, but you have to buy from reputable sellers. There's a lot of convincing synthetic material out there.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1450883881|3965309 said:
PrecisionGem|1450879956|3965284 said:

True, but you have to buy from reputable sellers. There's a lot of convincing synthetic material out there.

I 2nd this! However I would want to keep the original stone for sentimental reasons.
~Justin

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
citymouse countrymouse this is a lovely and unique set. What a privilege to wear that piece family history! I agree that you send it for polishing or recutting. I understand that dan stair of custom gemstones also is doing recutting/repolishing. Keep us in the loop

Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it. The set comes from my Mom's side of the family, and while she has passed it on to me I do want her blessing on whatever I choose to do with the worn stone.

I do like the idea of moving the stone into a necklace. Then I would have two necklaces which would be perfect as I have two daughters.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Howdy Citymouse-Countrymouse :wavey:

I know it is an unusual and neat mount and you want to save it as a suite. In my humble opinion as a cutter and that with 2 bucks can get you a cup of joe at any fast food restaurant ;-)

I see 3 choices; keep it like it is for posterity of a well worn and loved piece of jewelry from a family member; find a cutter to re-cut/polish the gem, or find one that size and shape and replace it.

A good cutter she/he should be able to map out the diagram close enough to not change the geometry of the gem and go in with a 1200 pre-polish lap and just clean up the lines on the gem and then polish it. It should cost in the 100 dollar range as the mapping out of the geometry will take much more time than just following a tried and true faceting diagram.

But the size and sentimentality will make you know whether it is worth the money and time to have that done...

But as Gene said it may be best to just go and find one as from the pics it looks like a cut corner octagonal or "emerald" cut maybe with an extra crown break here and there.. Yes hydrothermal/synthetic/manmade quartz is very abundant out there in the world; but there is still literally tons of natural stuff on the market as well and I am sure there are some vendors out there that will and can honestly attest that it is natural as you should not be investing a lot to begin with on a stone of that mineral type and size/color/etc...

Just explore ALL your options and that way you will be comfortable with the end product...

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

Well, in the end I left it alone. The necklace is the piece that I wear and enjoy the most. Also, I think it is neat that she loved the ring so much and that shows in the wear and tear.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for updating, OP.
I'm glad you came to a decision you are comfortable with. Enjoy the heirloom. Not everybody has a chance to own such precious mementoes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results