color
clarity

World Psychiatric Assoc. condemns 'gay reparative therapy'

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35893729

Partial Snip:

"The world's largest organisation for psychiatrists - the World Psychiatric Association - has announced their opposition to the so-called practice of "gay conversion" or "reparative" therapy, declaring it unethical, unscientific and harmful to those who undergo it.
"Experiences like Ferguson's have led the World Psychiatric Association to officially condemn the practice of reparative therapy.
"There is no sound scientific evidence that innate sexual orientation can be changed," the group said in a statement released this month.
"Furthermore, so-called treatments of homosexuality can create a setting in which prejudice and discrimination flourish, and they can be potentially harmful.
The provision of any intervention purporting to 'treat' something that is not a disorder is wholly unethical.""

Finally! :appl:

Yo!
Hey Religions ... stop trying to fix what's not broken.
You are damaging people!

This crosses a line.
This is NOT time to say all opinions are equally valid and religions get to do whatever they want because ... well ... because it's religion.

The world's top experts have gone on record stating that 'gay-reparitive therapy' does not work and it is harmful.
Stop it!

If you are in a religion that still does this gay-fixin, please tell your leader about this announcement by the World Psychiatric Assoc.
You might prevent another suicide.

The world's not flat any more.
The sun no longer orbits around the earth.
Homosexuals are no more 'sinful' than heterosexuals.

Spread the news.

I'm not anti-religion.
I'm anti-harm.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: World Psychiatric Assoc. condemns 'gay reparative therap

My son came home one day when he was about 18-19, & told me about a friend, whose parents had sent him to a psychologist to try to figure out what they could do the help him 'come to his senses' or some such thing because he was gay. I was completely horrified. How could you do that to your child, & the gist of the conversation was they wanted to 'fix' him. & this kid was a 4.0ish, premed in college, varsity dive team member. All could think of was the signal you are sending to that child at such a critical time in his life. I still cringe to think about it.

I get parents having a hard time accepting, but come on, think how truly blessed you are with a healthy functioning child. I was at a doctor appt last week, & in walks a dad & 10-12 year old son. Who was clearly mentally impaired. What a reminder of blessings.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

Good and about f-Ing time.

I hope this has an impact on those who believe in reparative therapy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's about time. :appl: :appl: :appl:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey Kenny,

You cite religion as the culprit for reparative therapy, but it wasn't too long ago that the DSM listed homosexuality as a mental disorder. It was removed in 1973. Transgender is still in there as "gender dysphoria."

I think the psychiatric world is denouncing reparative therapy as a way of speaking out against itself and the wrong it may have done or may potentially do in the future. The religious groups who do this kind of reprogramming (yuck!) will not care about this finding. They will continue to do what they believe is God's work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results