shape
carat
color
clarity

World Pasta Day Sunday 25 Oct 2020

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone else having pasta on World Pasta Day?

Yesterday, I decided to have pasta for my main meal today without knowing it is World Pasta Day.

I shall have Spaghetti Carbonara, probably my favourite pasta dish to cook at home, using smoked streaky bacon, and a mixture of double cream and milk with an egg and chopped mushroom etc...

There will be extra pasta for the pets as they love pasta plainly dressed in olive oil with a touch of salt.

What about you?

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the PSA re World Pasta Day. I had no clue. Will share with Greg. I don't eat pasta (I love it though oh yes I do) but Greg enjoys his pasta very much. We get it from TJs or Costco as they both have delicious pasta.

Haha love this meme and appropriate for the day.

pasta.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spaghetti Carbonara is one of my all time favourite comfort food.

I don't have it when I am eating out, as I prefer my own.

I guess this is the same with dishes that I can make at home - I prefer mine! :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spaghetti Carbonara is one of my all time favourite comfort food.

I don't have it when I am eating out, as I prefer my own.

I guess this is the same with dishes that I can make at home - I prefer mine! :lol-2:

Truth be told I always prefer Greg's cooking to any restaurant. Even the 3 star Michelin restaurants. My DH is an amazing chef and we haven't been suffering meal wise during the pandemic. Fingers crossed that continues as I am concerned about food supply disruptions.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truth be told I always prefer Greg's cooking to any restaurant. Even the 3 star Michelin restaurants. My DH is an amazing chef and we haven't been suffering meal wise during the pandemic. Fingers crossed that continues as I am concerned about food supply disruptions.

I ate well during the lockdown as I had a lot of food in the house.

When I go out to eat, I usually order dishes I do not cook at home, like fish and the really fancy gourmet stuff.

There are worries re: food supply disruption due to Brexit, however, I just have to plan ahead and buy local as much as I can.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ate well during the lockdown as I had a lot of food in the house.

When I go out to eat, I usually order dishes I do not cook at home, like fish and the really fancy gourmet stuff.

There are worries re: food supply disruption due to Brexit, however, I just have to plan ahead and buy local as much as I can.

It's produce I am most concerned about as one cannot stock up on that. Of course if we start having food supply chain disruptions it can affect any food and well it would be challenging for many families. I am hoping and praying everyone has enough food to eat. But I also know many families are suffering even before the pandemic and it is a crying shame in this day and age for people to go hungry. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just asked Greg what he will make for dinner for World Pasta Day tonight. If I remember I will take a photo for you @dk168. :)
He is leaning towards lentil pasta for tonight from Trader Joe's.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's produce I am most concerned about as one cannot stock up on that. Of course if we start having food supply chain disruptions it can affect any food and well it would be challenging for many families. I am hoping and praying everyone has enough food to eat. But I also know many families are suffering even before the pandemic and it is a crying shame in this day and age for people to go hungry. :(

Do they not sell frozen organic produce ?
I mean its coming into winter for you guys
How much salad do you eat in the winter ?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do they not sell frozen organic produce ?
I mean its coming into winter for you guys
How much salad do you eat in the winter ?

That's the first to go. Costco's frozen veggies disappeared for the first 3 months of the pandemic and I don't stock up on frozen produce because my freezer is filled with ice cream. Haha a girl has to prioritize right? :lol:

I love salad and eat it all year long. I love a big salad for dinner with protein and grilled onions and sweet potatoes and grilled brussels sprouts or asparagus. :lickout:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made pasta today but I didn't take a picture and now I wish I had!!!

We had b@stardized Mac n Cheese. I always add chicken, mushrooms and spinach to it because the kids like different things in their pasta.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you worried about Winter Missy or a second wave affecting produce supplies?

We had an issue with no workers being available to pick produce (farmers were afraid produce would rot without enough people to pick it) but I think they are trying to solve that by bringing in foreign workers and letting them quarantine on farms.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We had an issue with no workers being available to pick produce (farmers were afraid produce would rot without enough people to pick it) but I think they are trying to solve that by bringing in foreign workers and letting them quarantine on farms.

Concerned about the second wave causing disruption and affecting supplies.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On top of C19, we as in UK also has Brexit to content with!

I did not experience any significant food shortages during lockdown. OK, there were less choices for the likes of fresh vegetables and breads.

However, I was able to adapt and bought whatever that was available, and made my own bread when required (I had sufficient bread flour to last me a month if not longer at the start of lockdown).

@missy, I like your style as in making sure you have a ready supply of ice cream in the freezer!!! :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

This no worker bussiness is turning into a real problem for the upcoming season
i dont know about you guys but kiwis seem to shy away from a bit of hard physical yacca these days (yet pay to go to the gym

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's the first to go. Costco's frozen veggies disappeared for the first 3 months of the pandemic and I don't stock up on frozen produce because my freezer is filled with ice cream. Haha a girl has to prioritize right? :lol:

I love salad and eat it all year long. I love a big salad for dinner with protein and grilled onions and sweet potatoes and grilled brussels sprouts or asparagus. :lickout:

The frozen peas, corn and beans i usually buy have gone up 31% since before the lockdown
im tempted to call it profiteering on the part of woolworths

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This no worker bussiness is turning into a real problem for the upcoming season
i dont know about you guys but kiwis seem to shy away from a bit of hard physical yacca these days (yet pay to go to the gym

Oh you guys have it too?

Yes! We refuse to pick fruit in Australia! hehe they were trying to appeal to the younguns! Told them to go pick fruit and have an Instagram moment! I gather there were no takers hence they had to develop a quarantine scheme for the foreign workers!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The frozen peas, corn and beans i usually buy have gone up 31% since before the lockdown
im tempted to call it profiteering on the part of woolworths

I think (when it’s available) the cost has gone up at the Costco here. Greg buys that for his meals. I know he was unable to get them from Costco for months because if the Pandemic causing a run on certain products. Even now it’s hit or miss.

I think the cost has gone up for the middleman too so if that makes you feel any better. I don’t think Costco is raising costs to make more profit. Rather I believe the cost has gone up on their end too.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh you guys have it too?

Yes! We refuse to pick fruit in Australia! hehe they were trying to appeal to the younguns! Told them to go pick fruit and have an Instagram moment! I gather there were no takers hence they had to develop a quarantine scheme for the foreign workers!

We have to get the foreign workers back
Especially the ones from the Pacific islands who don't even have covid
If i was younger id happily pick fruit
Get paid to get a tan
And these days its made up to the minimum wage so its a descent pay even for the slackers

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think (when it’s available) the cost has gone up at the Costco here. Greg buys that for his meals. I know he was unable to get them from Costco for months because if the Pandemic causing a run on certain products. Even now it’s hit or miss.

I think the cost has gone up for the middleman too so if that makes you feel any better. I don’t think Costco is raising costs to make more profit. Rather I believe the cost has gone up on their end too.

I wouldn't mind it so much if the grower was getting the extra bit

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have friends and neighbours who grow their own and often have surplus supplies that they give away or barter.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a huge crop of oragano in my garden - i think Gary was suspicious it was spinach when i put it in with the chicken and pasta sauce

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I just had pasta for breakfast (don’t judge). I love leftovers for breakfast. It was penne with spinach and rotisserie chicken in light cream sauce (I make it from chicken broth and milk, roux.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I just had pasta for breakfast (don’t judge). I love leftovers for breakfast. It was penne with spinach and rotisserie chicken in light cream sauce (I make it from chicken broth and milk, roux.

Whenever I make pasta, it gets taken to work by other half. He eats it cold at work for breakfast. He leaves by 5:15 every day so his lunch is around 10 a.m. I think that his coworkers probably find him very strange.

The last pasta I made was button and Portobello mushrooms sliced, sautéed in butter and garlic, then added petite peas and chopped red pepper. Sautéed everything, deglazed the pain with pinot grigio, added probably 2 cups of water, give or take, some chicken bouillon paste, and then fresh pasta to cook in the liquid. Topped it with a bit of black pepper coated Toscano cheese from Trader Joe's. It was quite good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results