shape
carat
color
clarity

Working with Pearlman's for the perfect ring

garretj

Rough_Rock
OK, the adventure is about to begin. I contacted Pearlman's this morning and had an inspiring conversation with the owner Bill. I know they come highly recommended on this site, and since I am only a short distance from their shop, I will hopefully be working with him to put together the perfect engagement ring. I am here to take advice/opinions from all, because that has been what has led me to where I am in the process currently. I am going to go with a blue sapphire (this I know), however the style I am not set on. I also know I want the setting to have a vintage, slightly feminine style. I am hoping that people can share their experiences (both good and bad), with putting together a ring like this. I am attaching two screenshots of stones and settings to give an idea of price range and current taste. I'm very open to suggestions, as I want to make the most of this experience. Thanks for any help!

Stones:
I like the looks of the first one the best, but I like that the 3rd one has had no treatment
image_76.png

Settings:
I like a bit more of a vintage style, that is also fairly feminine. I kind of like the circular setting (#1), but I know the stones above would not work with that.
43906318-1990-4a7b-a8f8-85bd1e57cb2d.png

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't really see the deets on the screenshots, too small. But the color on the third stone is excellent IMO. Personally I don't like dark blue sapphs.

But you should see them all in person to see which one you like the best, its always the best to go if you can.

The setting images are a wee bit too small (even on my 27 inch screen) Maybe provide some links to them? that would be a better option IMO.

garretj

Rough_Rock
OK. Examined the stones and talked with Bill for almost 3 hours in his shop today. What a wonderful experience. The third stone was absolutely killer (Bill's words) and I have decided on that. You were right, the settings I posted were too small. I am down to two, and need to make a decision ASAP. Please help if you have time.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/103PP1/

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/94PP1/

Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
garretj|1463095222|4030973 said:
OK. Examined the stones and talked with Bill for almost 3 hours in his shop today. What a wonderful experience. The third stone was absolutely killer (Bill's words) and I have decided on that. You were right, the settings I posted were too small. I am down to two, and need to make a decision ASAP. Please help if you have time.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/103PP1/

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/94PP1/

Thanks!

well one is significantly cheaper than the other. is price a factor?

garretj

Rough_Rock
A small factor. I was wondering I guess if people thought the price difference was reflected in the design and quality, or is it simply the diamond weight. I would be getting the cheaper one in platinum while the more expensive one in 18k

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i actually prefer the cheaper one. sure the design is less ornate but i feel like the design of the expensive one runs the chance of overwhelming the sapphire

garretj

Rough_Rock
Yeah I think for some reason I liked that one better too. Although pearlman told me the other is one of his favorites. Here are some pictures from my iphone, sorry for the quality. The quality of the pic of the sapphire is especially bad, but honestly the color of the one on the right is unreal, and its gia certified untreated, which as a geologist I think is cool.

image__3__2.jpg

image__3__3.jpg

image__2__5.jpg

image__1__6.jpg

image__4_.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i definitely prefer the "less expensive" one and i like the sapphire on the top of the picture at the bottom

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1463102608|4031034 said:
i definitely prefer the "less expensive" one and i like the sapphire on the top of the picture at the bottom

+1 Me too!!!

garretj

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input! I have to call him in the morning to let him know for sure which setting. I'm getting it made in platinum, and I only have until June 17th. He and his wife really liked the other, which I did too, but I really liked some of the detail on the "less expensive" one.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
garretj|1463104089|4031047 said:
Thanks for the input! I have to call him in the morning to let him know for sure which setting. I'm getting it made in platinum, and I only have until June 17th. He and his wife really liked the other, which I did too, but I really liked some of the detail on the "less expensive" one.

Everyone has their preferences, but at the end of the day you have to pick what you think is best

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1463103166|4031040 said:
Niel|1463102608|4031034 said:

+1 Me too!!!

+1! I think the less expensive setting will allow the Sapphire to be the star of the show :)

garretj

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for their input. I am very happy to hear that the less expensive setting is the consensus pick, because I went that. I also agrre that the stone inthe picture appears to be riding too high, I'll ask Pearlman to set it lower for me. I ordered it in platinum, hopefully this is a good option for this setting. I realized I posted two of the same pictures so I have attached the one other one I have. In terms of the sapphire, I was a bit confused as to which one you guys were referencing. I know the pictures got turned so I'll re-attach that in its correct orientation. I went with the one on the bottom right. It was unbelievable in all lighting situations, even overcast.

image_741.jpg image__1__7.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphire - bottom right
Setting - right
:))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1463153212|4031263 said:
Sapphire - bottom right
Setting - right
:))
that gets my vote too

eta i see thats what you picked, great! itll be stunning

garretj

Rough_Rock
Went back to Pearlman's today to put deposit down. Examined the stone again - first inside then took it outside under the sun. It was really nice, especially with the north light. I got a little bit better picture of it with my phone, and I'll post the specs from the website. It's kind of small (1.39 carat and 6.3 mm), but I'm hopeful it will still look appear extremely nice in the setting.

image_743.jpg

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=7217

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
garretj|1463174833|4031430 said:
Went back to Pearlman's today to put deposit down. Examined the stone again - first inside then took it outside under the sun. It was really nice, especially with the north light. I got a little bit better picture of it with my phone, and I'll post the specs from the website. It's kind of small (1.39 carat and 6.3 mm), but I'm hopeful it will still look appear extremely nice in the setting.

image_743.jpg

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=7217
6.3 is a nice size for a cushion. I don't think it'll be small. Loose stones look smaller than set stones. So I think you'll be happy.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.3mm in a halo setting? That wouldn't be too small on most people. Could you get bigger? Sure!! But you'd have to consider what your budget can really support.

You could either wait until you have more funds to work with (which may not be really feasible considering the price goes up all the time on blue sapphs) or sell a kidney (not recommended!!!)

IMO thats going to be on heck of a ring, I can't wait to see it set! :appl:

arabella

Shiny_Rock
This is going to be an awesome ring :appl: Can't wait to see it completed!

garretj

Rough_Rock
I picked it up yesterday...and...

ring_148.jpg

I LOVE IT (and hopefully she will too). My plan for presentation is here...

bowsummit.jpg

Think she will say yes? This will be roughly 7 days after our 11th year anniversary. Thanks for everyone's opinions/support!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow it looks great love the color, doesnt look small in the slightest!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous Ring! Definitely not too small! She's going to love it! :dance: :dance: :dance:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1465412743|4041776 said:
Gorgeous Ring! Definitely not too small! She's going to love it! :dance: :dance: :dance:

+1 to this and what Neil said! It's lovely, I can't wait to see hand shots once you propose :):)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful...and congratulations!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring and best of luck with your proposal. :appl:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodluck, I hope she loves it!!!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A perfect blue sapphire ring (it's gorgeous) to go with the picture perfect setting for a proposal!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning ring. I love that blue.
She will love it :appl:

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring and what a gorgeous place to propose!! She's a lucky gal -- good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results