shape
carat
color
clarity

Working with Leon Mege long distance??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone,
I am thinking about having Leon Mege do a custom setting for me but I live in a different state and will have to work long distance.  Has anyone else worked with him over the phone and could you please describe your experience.
thanks

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i would not recommend it. he can be very difficult to work with. he is very slow and bad to return calls. if you tell your geographical location I am sure people can recommend someone near where you live

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
It really boils down to your comfort level.

I contacted Leon because he made a 3-stone ring I fell in love with. I wanted, however, to make a few modifications on the prongs, metals, and ratio of side stones to center. He seemed reluctant on the idea, saying it "wouldn't look right".

He went on to say that we could work on a custom design if I wanted to, but went on at great length about the possible pitfalls of working on a custom job long distance (he's in NY, I'm in MA). He further commented about the relatively modest value of my stone ($6K) and how it's not typically wise to spend more than 1/3 of the cost of the stone on a setting, and that his settings would be close to that if not over.

My feeling: I sensed he wasn't interested or enthusiastic, and I passed.

Interestingly enough, I went on to work even FURTHER long distance with Whiteflash (in TX)......and they were completely positive and can-do about the whole thing. The communication with them was exceptional.....and if the communication is good, anything is possible. They took great care to understand what I envisioned and what I wanted to see throughout the process. My custom setting from Whiteflash arrived looking EXACTLY as I expected/envisioned.

I think it all hinges on selecting someone who is willing and enthusiastic, and I sensed a general lack of willingness on Leon's part.

If you do choose to work with him, be aware that he reputedly has very strong opinions. Someone in the last several months posted that she had begun a custom design with him, but they disagreed about some elements of the design and couldn't resolve those differences. She decided their visions didn't mesh and it was better to part ways on the project.

Having said all of that, he is an incredible craftsman. If you can work around the possible challenges, I'm sure the end result would be amazing.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
couldnt agree more--(kind of a snob.... about the stones he works etc, is annoyed if you mention a budget...)

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t worked with him, but I believe SLH worked with him long-distance.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
One person who worked with Leon long distance and posted on this forum (can''t remember the post, sorry!) mentioned specifically that they would recommend going through a jeweler who works with Leon (Wink Jones works with him for sure) instead of going through Leon directly for a custom setting. They thought the prices wouldn''t be too different since Leon has retail and wholesale prices and will charge you retail if you''re working with him directly anyhow. The poster seemed to think that this could cut down on much of the frusturation and possibility for miscommunication of working with him directly.

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
I worked with Leon over the phone really long distance - from Hong Kong. My experience was that emailing him was futile since he didn''t answer or even recall any of my mails, but that he is very accessible over the phone.

The best time to reach him is in the morning; whenever I called him between 8 and 9:30 he answered himself and was available to talk. I trusted him a lot, in picking out my sidestones and making a ring similar to one on his website but more suited to a rectangular emerald cut. We didn''t have long, drawn-out discussions or debates, but quick, to-the-point conversations in which he was the consummate professional. There''s no doubt that he knows what he''s doing and I think he expects you to acknowledge it a bit.

Anyway, I was very pleased with my ring and enjoyed working with him.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
To Snapdragon: how large was your stone? just curious?

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/3/2005 11:49:10 AM
Author: windowshopper
To Snapdragon: how large was your stone? just curious?
windowshopper- it''s 2.84 carats

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
thanks -didnt mean to be nosy but i think he is more "friendly" to larger stones....just IMO
emwink.gif

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/3/2005 11:54:46 AM
thanks -didnt mean to be nosy but i think he is more ''friendly'' to larger stones....just IMO
emwink.gif
It''s certainly possible that he''s friendlier to larger stones, but I didn''t really get that impression from him.

During our first conversation, I didn''t know how I wanted my EC set, only that I wanted sidestones and I wanted it to be interesting. He started describing some sort of 5 stone ring, but I told him my finger was only a size 4 and I thought it would be too much. He said, ''How big is your stone again?'' When I told him, he was like ''yeah, that won''t work'' and actually sounded disappointed, like my stone was too big!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
interesting...well sounds like he is hit or miss in the bedside manner department according to all posted reports. one thing we do know--his work is lovely!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2005 11:46:40 AM
Author: snapdragon
I worked with Leon over the phone really long distance - from Hong Kong. My experience was that emailing him was futile since he didn''t answer or even recall any of my mails, but that he is very accessible over the phone.

The best time to reach him is in the morning; whenever I called him between 8 and 9:30 he answered himself and was available to talk. I trusted him a lot,  in picking out my sidestones and making a ring similar to one on his website but more suited to a rectangular emerald cut. We didn''t have long, drawn-out discussions or debates, but quick, to-the-point conversations in which he was the consummate professional. There''s no doubt that he knows what he''s doing and I think he expects you to acknowledge it a bit.

Anyway, I was very pleased with my ring and enjoyed working with him.
I called him this morning and he answered right away.  He seemed very friendly and willing to work with me.  He said now is a good time to order (after the Holidays) when he is not quite so busy.  He said he could do it in 3-4 weeks.  I''m in no hurry so that seems fine to me.  The thought of "sending" my stone still makes me very nervous......

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
thats great! be prepared for longer...

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/3/2005 12:36:36 PM
thats great! be prepared for longer...
I second that!

Just so you know - if you're going to send your loose diamond, you have to use USPS registered mail. They'll insure it up to 25k, but you won't have control of how long it will take to get there. That can be a bit nerve-racking. I think it took my stone 8 or 9 days to travel from Washington DC (where my parents live) to Leon in New York.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
There's no doubt that he knows what he's doing and I think he expects you to acknowledge it a bit.
This has been my experience on occasion - the really top metal guys sometimes can be temperamental artists
1.gif
. I still haven't returned a piece to someone else for minor adjustments that looks pretty good right now, but where a couple of minor aspects weren't executed how I asked, since I'm not sure I want to butt heads over it.

If you're not completely comfortable sending someone a several thousand dollar stone, send it both ways through an appraiser like Dave or Richard. An extra couple hundred for both an appraisal and peace of mind could be money well spent.

SLH

Shiny_Rock

I thought I would share my experiences with Leon. I have worked with him on two separate occasions. His craftsmanship is remarkable.

Contacting Leon via email is an absolute waste of time. I have always been in the practice of following up emails with a phone call, so it wasn’t until he began working on my ring that I quickly realized calling him was the only means of getting a response.

My biggest complaint about Leon is the length of time it takes to complete your project. He actually forgot about my ring. Once he started on my ring, he was still two weeks behind his promised due date. I will admit that all was forgotten once I opened my package.

A few have mentioned Leon’s arrogance. I did not witness this at all. He listened to everything I wanted. He did express that he thought my ring would look better with single prongs versus the double claw prongs, but in the end he let me know it was totally up to me. Leon was extremely concerned that I was 100% satisfied with his work.

I’m not sure what to say in reference to Leon only wanting to work with “worthy” stones. When he received my stone, he called and complimented me on what a beautiful stone I had.

Overall, my experiences with Leon have been good enough for me to work with him again. I believe his prices are extremely reasonable.

Best of luck to you mrssalvo!

TLS

Shiny_Rock
I have heard that he is an amazing designer, but i was a little put off by a quote on his website that said white gold is a low-class substitute without any future in fine jewelry. He only works with platinum and because I am trying to get something beautiful on a budget I am looking at white gold (I am looking at eternity settings with mostly diamonds in the band anyway, so I don''t want to pay double the price for something that will have barely any metal showing). He definitely is not a budget designer i am quite sure, so he wouldn''t be for me anyway, but his quality of work is great from what I have heard on this forum.

He obviously is high end and has his opinions which many agree with, but I was put off by this comment. It just sounds vey snobby to me.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2005 2:41
6.gif
5 PM
Author: elmo

There''s no doubt that he knows what he''s doing and I think he expects you to acknowledge it a bit.

This has been my experience on occasion - the really top metal guys sometimes can be temperamental artists
1.gif
. I still haven''t returned a piece to someone else for minor adjustments that looks pretty good right now, but where a couple of minor aspects weren''t executed how I asked, since I''m not sure I want to butt heads over it.

If you''re not completely comfortable sending someone a several thousand dollar stone, send it both ways through an appraiser like Dave or Richard. An extra couple hundred for both an appraisal and peace of mind could be money well spent.

I have decided to "go for it" and have Leon do my ring. I just can''t resist his amazing detail. I have contacted Rich and will be going through him. I''ll post pics once all is done. Thanks so much for all your help and advise.

reena

Ideal_Rock
i think you''ll be very happy with your decision. can''t wait to see the finished product!

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
mrssalvo

My BF and I are currently working with Leon on my engagement ring project (two more weeks until completion!!). Both my BF and I agree that he was been great to work with. He has given us many compliments on our stone..a 1.52 asscher.

We chose Leon for our project, because we both love his elegant style and meticulous craftsmanship. There were two design meetings and we were never rushed. I trust Leon''s design sense completely. He is an incredible artist.

Enjoy your project. I look forward to seeing pictures!!!

-lovey

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2005 4
6.gif
4:12 PM
Author: lovey
mrssalvo

My BF and I are currently working with Leon on my engagement ring project (two more weeks until completion!!). Both my BF and I agree that he was been great to work with. He has given us many compliments on our stone..a 1.52 asscher.

We chose Leon for our project, because we both love his elegant style and meticulous craftsmanship. There were two design meetings and we were never rushed. I trust Leon''s design sense completely. He is an incredible artist.

Enjoy your project. I look forward to seeing pictures!!!

-lovey

Lovey,
Just out of curiousity, are you working Leon locally or long distance?

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
we are local
5.gif

blkcat

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am a newbie and would like to get a ring designed. His site is amazing.

Can someone who has worked with him walk me through the process?

How many times do you meet with him?
How do you decide what you want? I mean do you bring pcitures? Does he have examples? How detailed are you in your description and how much does he bring to it (I''m assuming a lot). Does he show you books? Actual pieces?

I''m not someone who imagines a perfect ring, but I know one when I see it.

I would be working with him long distance. But I''m thinking I would travel to his office at least once to get started. If you worked long distance and didn''t go there, how did you ever come up with the design?

Also, does he show you pictures of it in the process?

Oh and one last question...for the pave - does he supply the stones? How much does that add to the total cost?

Sorry for all the questions...thanks in advance for your replies. This site is amazing.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 6:01:53 AM
Author: blkcat

Can someone who has worked with him walk me through the process?

How many times do you meet with him?

How do you decide what you want? I mean do you bring pcitures? Does he have examples? How detailed are you in your description and how much does he bring to it (I''m assuming a lot). Does he show you books? Actual pieces?

I''m not someone who imagines a perfect ring, but I know one when I see it.

I would be working with him long distance. But I''m thinking I would travel to his office at least once to get started. If you worked long distance and didn''t go there, how did you ever come up with the design?

Also, does he show you pictures of it in the process?

Oh and one last question...for the pave - does he supply the stones? How much does that add to the total cost?

Sorry for all the questions...thanks in advance for your replies. This site is amazing.

Hi bikcat,
I ended up not going with leon on this project but I can tell you what I found out.
a. from what i''ve learned here from others who have worked with him locally, they met with him twice. Ginger was long distance and never met with him in person.

b. Ginger sent him pictures of what she wanted. For the gals that met with him, he showed them rings he was currently working on and has a huge catalogue of his work with pictures etc.

c. he''ll draw a sketch of your ring and you won''t see it until it''s done.

d. the long distance gals found pics on his site or here on PS to send him to give him an idea of what they wanted.

e. Leon will suppy the pave. His basic rings will start at $1000. Expect to pay between 3-5K for a detailed Leon ring. Once you get an idea of what you want you can email him for a quote.

You also might want to PM some of the ladies with his rings for details. I''m sure they will jump in here too
1.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I am in Florida and will be working with Leon on an engagement ring based on his catalog online. I have spoken to him on the phone and emailed him several times (he has always responded in 12 hours or less). I will not be meeting with him but I feel confident in his ability to make me a gorgous setting especially because I have found a picture that he can copy exactly. His wait is currently 6 weeks but he said in the next month-month1/2 it will go up to 8 weeks and obviously get worse as the holidays approach. I put down a deposit to reserve him for when I anticipate to have my stone by. I am currently shopping for my center stone and once I have found it I will send it to Leon to begin working with. I was wondering if anyone has sent their ring back to him to have work done, like replacing a pave stone? I would imagine it would take a little while. Anyway, this is the setting I chose and I am so excited to see it completed. I will be placing a 2-2.5 emerald cut into it.

r330-11W.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Oh, by the way, this setting is costing me around $5000. He is supplying everything but the center stone. And he did offer to find me one of those also but I think I can find a better deal online.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hi Blkcat,

I'm currently working with Leon for my ring. He has the stone and said he has started working on it. I sent him my stone with a letter detailing what I wanted, then talked to him on the phone about some minor changes. My boyfriend paid the deposit. I haven't gotten a sketch but because it's almost the exact same ring as Lovey (except no gallery).

He basically said, "From what you say, you want a more delicate setting, and you want the halo to be in proportion with your stone. " He told me that my halo would be smaller then Lovey because hers has an airline, and I don't want one. I've never met with Leon, but I trust his design sense completely. I'm sure he'll come up with something that I love (and I am really difficult to please). The quote for the setting was approximately $4500. I found him rather laid back, maybe artisitc temperment, about payment, confirmations etc. He actually started working on my ring, and then said he figured he should call me to ask me specifics about what I wanted
6.gif

He didn't say anything about the small size of my stone, but Cute330xigrl (Christina) worked with him, and liked him very much. She called him for me ahead of time to say to expect a call from me, so I think that might have affected the way he was with me. I think with Leon, you have to be willing to give over your stone to him and trust his vision, if you are a bit wary about that, or your ideas don't match, then I can see it being difficult to work with him. But since I wanted a ring that he had designed previously, there wasn't a problem.

Good luck!

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
I''ve worked with Leon over the years on several pieces (including two for my wife). I know I can always count on his artistic eye and judgment. I consider him a friend first and a business colleague second. Whenever I''m in NYC, it''s always a highlight of my trip to pay him a visit. Also, I get to see some of the amazing projects he''s working on.
21.gif
While I never hesitate to recommend him, I let clients know that his work does not come cheap. But with a Leon Mege original, you not only get what you pay for, you also become the owner of a meticulously crafted, heirloom quality, classic piece of jewelry.
Bill Scherlag

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bill,
Any chance of letting us see your wife''s Leon rings???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results