shape
carat
color
clarity

Working with Colored Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brellymom

Shiny_Rock
I have a line of lovely little pink diamonds that I want to put into a ring. I have an appointment with a local jeweler to get some ideas, but wanted to be ''smart'' before I meet with them.

Are there any things I need to be aware of with respect to working with colored diamonds? Are they basically the same as white diamonds? Somewhere I read they are more fragile - is this true?

Any tips and/or education anyone can give would be most appreciated! Thanks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2010 11:04:23 PM
Author:brellymom
I have a line of lovely little pink diamonds that I want to put into a ring. I have an appointment with a local jeweler to get some ideas, but wanted to be ''smart'' before I meet with them.

Are there any things I need to be aware of with respect to working with colored diamonds? Are they basically the same as white diamonds? Somewhere I read they are more fragile - is this true?

Any tips and/or education anyone can give would be most appreciated! Thanks.
I don''t think a jeweler needs to take any more special precautions with a colored diamond than a white diamond. If there is a feather along the edge, then some care must be taken as to not chip it when setting, but that''s true of both colored and white diamonds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless it has been fracture filled, it’s no different from a coloured diamond where the setter still has to take care not to chip the stone.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Same as regular diamonds, be mindful of clarity and where feathers are located. Also, verify as to whether they are natural or treated for color.

--Joshua

brellymom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone - those little things are so darn expensive and I wanted to be sure there weren''t any hidden surprises!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Presumably they''re not coated pink diamonds? If they are then much care must be taken.

It sounds like they''re not, so apart from feathers etc., you should be ok and safe with a jeweller who works with diamonds.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 5:44:11 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Presumably they''re not coated pink diamonds? If they are then much care must be taken.

It sounds like they''re not, so apart from feathers etc., you should be ok and safe with a jeweller who works with diamonds.
I agree. I''d be more concerned about the clarity, and if it risks the structural integrity of the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results