shape
carat
color
clarity

WOOOHOOO!!! Fee for immigration paperwork SUSPENDED!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bjedifish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
WOOHOO!! is right!!! That is a crazy amount of money!!! So glad you won''t have to pay!
36.gif
36.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
ummm YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously- that is so awesome for you, and a huge chunk of change to have fun with!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That is awesome!!! What great timing.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hehehe, thanks, everyone!!
5.gif
And it''s funny you mention the timing, LtlFirecracker--apparently this has been in effect since (literally) the day after we got engaged.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

WOOOOOOOO!!!!! SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Gwen I am so thrilled for you and your FI!!! What a weight off your shoulders that must be!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Fabulous news Gwen!!! Just think of all the stuff you can buy with that extra $$$$
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
YAY Gwen!!! That''s fantastic!!!! So happy for you both
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Incredible! What luck! Fantasic news Gwen!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Whew! What a friendly "engagement gift" they''ve given you. Now of course the big question is splurge or save?

Psst...bet you are EXTRA glad you went for your fancy m''dancy wedding shoes
2.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone! This really is a HUGE weight off my shoulders. We are in the process of saving, but with so many big purchases still left to save up for, I was a little worried we'd have to not have a honeymoon or something to make sure we had the money for it all. So, this is a very big relief that we'll definitely have money for the rest of the wedding stuff, and maybe even have a little extra left over!
1.gif

Patchee

Shiny_Rock
If any of you read my post you would see that I was NOT talking about Gwen, it was general conversation. I would rather see certificate fees go to senior health care.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats, Gwen. This is such wonderful news!!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 12:25:52 PM
Author: Patchee
If any of you read my post you would see that I was NOT talking about Gwen, it was general conversation. I would rather see certificate fees go to senior health care.
If you think that everyone should have to pay the equivalent of £1500 in order to get permission to marry (what's that in US dollars now, about $2500?), that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. However, my thread celebrating the absence of such a fee isn't really the place to get up on your soapbox and talk about it. Also, you might want to check with the validity of some of your statements before you start such a debate (elsewhere on the board, please), as the certificate has literally nothing to do with the right to enter, work in, or live in a country--your own or any other.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
Hurray!!! That''s awesome!!!
36.gif
36.gif

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Gwen! £1500 is outrageous just for the permission!! What on earth were they doing to justify that in the first place??

Still, it''s great to hear someone stood up to the system and I''ll bet the £1500 will be well spent somewhere else
36.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is hardly the thread to start a general conversation about cert fees. I''m thrilled for you Gwen!! That''s an amazing saving and the money can definitely go towards other wedding costs! £1500 is ridiculous to charge for a cert allowing you to marry.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
YAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME, GWENDOLYN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, what amazing news.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Good things happen to good people!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY! That is an INSANE amount of $ to have to pay! I''m so glad they did away with it! Woohoo!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I am so happy for you !! This is great news.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 12:32:34 PM
Author: gwendolyn

If you think that everyone should have to pay the equivalent of £1500 in order to get permission to marry (what''s that in US dollars now, about $2500?), that''s your opinion and you''re entitled to it. However, my thread celebrating the absence of such a fee isn''t really the place to get up on your soapbox and talk about it. Also, you might want to check with the validity of some of your statements before you start such a debate (elsewhere on the board, please), as the certificate has literally nothing to do with the right to enter, work in, or live in a country--your own or any other.
Well said Gwen.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Congratulations!

tlroza

Rough_Rock

My DH spent thousands in attorneys fees to get his permanent residency and he was here on a work visa as a business owner. He employs americans and educates them as well, since his business is a trade school. He pays taxes just like anyone else. People are pretty quick to assume that most people come illegally which isn''t true.

The fees are high, so to save money is always a plus.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Gwen, that is fabulous! Congratulations, sweetie!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, guys! I am hoping to get all the paperwork out and processed, just in case anyone changes their minds and overturns the verdict anytime soon!
2.gif

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
I'm soooo chuffed for you Gwen
1.gif

As a UK citizen and TAX PAYER I'm happy with the courts decision and know that you haven't got this far for FREE
9.gif

I hope you'll be very happy here in the UK, where we believe that people's worth is more than just how much money they make or what car they drive....

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
That is fantastic!!!
36.gif

What are you going to spend all that extra money on???
31.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
YAY! YAY! YAY, Gwen! What wonderful news!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 7:20:45 AM
Author: Dannielle
That is fantastic!!!
36.gif

What are you going to spend all that extra money on???
31.gif
Good question!

Gwen, I''m not sure I said it before, but I''m just so happy for you (and all of the other couples out there who won''t have to pay this crazy cert fee).

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
The bulk of the money will probably go towards our honeymoon and our flights back home for our US reception (instead of us having to scrimp and save for them). We''ll still keep saving money for wedding stuff (like wedding bands!) but it won''t be so tight and stressful now over the 6(ish) months we have until the wedding and 8(ish) months until the US reception party, which is wonderful!
5.gif

Thank you everyone again for your comments--especially LG, commenting as a UK cit and tax payer.
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
QUESTION: Have you decided on a date for the UK wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results