shape
carat
color
clarity

Woohoo! Vintage Watch has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am stunned (not easy to do) and delighted with my new watch! Actually I've only been allowed to "play" and take photos for today and then husband is hiding it until my birthday in April.
8.gif

I've taken a few very quick pictures but they really don't show the beauty of the watch/diamonds. The diamonds have wonderful fire and the whole watch sparkles like mad!

Here are the stats:-

Brand: Hamilton
Case: Platinum (900, Iridium 100). Curiously there is a circle with LV inside it and a number 107 underneath.
Movement: 17 jewels with the following markings: 995A and F79085
Other markings: There are a ton of these lightly scratched into the inside of the case (mostly numbers and letters).

I've tried to identify the age/model of the watch without success so I've emailed Hamilton to see if they can help.

Anyway, here are the photos! I've put a w/gold watch strap over the top of the other strap to see which I like best!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Full view

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can see a little of the fire in this photo

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one - on the wrist!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!

I''ll bet on 1936 as year of manufacture - no particular reason, it just feels good.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS!!! I like the wg strap personally.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
LD- what are you going to do about getting it insured? Are you just going to insure it for the price you paid for it or are you going to have it appraised and then insured? I asked this question after I bought my watch and got a totally unsatisfactory answer from someone about it not being worth it because these watches are a dime a dozen on ebay...I was thinking of getting mine appraised more for curiosity then anything else. As you know, there''s the question of the diamond quality and the date, etc...

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Perfection! I love the deco geometry, with those baguettes. And the vaguely Hebrew-looking numerals. Absolutely beautiful watch.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
It''s LOVELY!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
positively gorgeous!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it''s gorgeous and I love it with the wg band!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
That is really fun!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:02:38 PM
Author:LovingDiamonds
I am stunned (not easy to do) and delighted with my new watch! Actually I''ve only been allowed to ''play'' and take photos for today and then husband is hiding it until my birthday in April.
8.gif

I''ve taken a few very quick pictures but they really don''t show the beauty of the watch/diamonds. The diamonds have wonderful fire and the whole watch sparkles like mad!

Here are the stats:-

Brand: Hamilton
Case: Platinum (900, Iridium 100). Curiously there is a circle with LV inside it and a number 107 underneath.
Movement: 17 jewels with the following markings: 995A and F79085
Other markings: There are a ton of these lightly scratched into the inside of the case (mostly numbers and letters).

I''ve tried to identify the age/model of the watch without success so I''ve emailed Hamilton to see if they can help.

Anyway, here are the photos! I''ve put a w/gold watch strap over the top of the other strap to see which I like best!
The watch is a real stunner!Im thinkin that the watch is 1930s!The deco is very cool and interesting!I SUGGEST THAT YOU GO TO WWW.watchuseek.com and go to the vintage watch section and post a picture and the movement info....these guys are great to research the movement age for a poster....The watch should be appraised for replacement value and brought to an experianced watch/jewelry appraiser....many certified appraisers have zero experiance or backround in properly appraising a timepiece, its movement, rarity, and exact era of manufacture...more then just the metal weight and diamond quailty are considered.Hamilton is a great American watch company and well respected amoung watch collectors.Good purchase.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 12:31:53 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
LD- what are you going to do about getting it insured? Are you just going to insure it for the price you paid for it or are you going to have it appraised and then insured? I asked this question after I bought my watch and got a totally unsatisfactory answer from someone about it not being worth it because these watches are a dime a dozen on ebay...I was thinking of getting mine appraised more for curiosity then anything else. As you know, there''s the question of the diamond quality and the date, etc...

I always wonder about this for things bought on ebay. I''d be curious as to what both of you decide.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I''ll probably take mine in to be appraised, I just need to find a good place for it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!! What a beautiful watch! I adore vintage watches like this!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everybody for your kind words and advice.

I emailed Hamilton yesterday via their website and have had a reply that if I send detailed pictures of the markings they will forward them to Switzerland for identification! So I''m hoping to be able to tell you more soon. I think the watch may be later than the 1930s BUT I hope I''m wrong!

In terms of insurance? It''s slightly different in the UK to how I think it works in the US. I have all of my pieces (vintage watches included) appraised for replacement value - if something can''t be replaced (and this is the "norm" for most vintage pieces), then a value is assigned so that in the event of loss I would be able to buy something of similar value.

This item actually came from the US and with an appraisal for insurance purposes for $1920 so it''ll be interesting to see how that compare to the UK appraisal.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
it''s beautiful.
30.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds, can you tell me more about UK appraisals? I live in London and haven''t had any luck finding what I''m looking for for an appraiser or the way they do fees.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 6:55:19 PM
Author: Addy
LovingDiamonds, can you tell me more about UK appraisals? I live in London and haven''t had any luck finding what I''m looking for for an appraiser or the way they do fees.
Addy I get everything valued by Safeguard. They are independent and an affiliate of the Birmingham Assay Office - so basically they have a heap of resources! They have (I think) 6 valuers who each have a "patch" of the UK to cover. Typically they do "roadshows" at various jewellers - sometimes in big shopping centres like Lakeside for example. You either take your pieces in on a nominated day and leave it and pick it up at the end of the day or you can have an appointment and discuss the piece(s) with the valuer.

After the event, within about a week or so, you get a detailed insurance valuation for each piece which contains a photograph and full description and then a replacement value. If an item is something that could be replaced, the value is based on that. If not, then they assign a value and that is what you would be paid in the event of a loss.

Nearly all insurers will recognise that an valuation from Safeguard is not inflated and is a real reflection of price.

You can also send items (I think) to their Birmingham office for appraisal.

Here are their details http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/safeguard/sjve.html I think that they charge £45 for the first item and then £20 or £25 for each subsequent piece BUT you need to check that. It is expensive but in the event of a loss you don''t have the hassle of having it contested by the insurer. I''ve known my valuer for a number of years now and I give her a job lot every 3 months or so!!!!

Be warned, if you go to a normal jewellers that offer valuations, some charge a % of the value of the item and therefore it''s in their interest to inflate the price - Safeguard don''t do this.

I hope that helps - let me know if you need any more info.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 7:07:52 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Date: 3/12/2009 6:55:19 PM

Author: Addy

Addy I get everything valued by Safeguard. They are independent and an affiliate of the Birmingham Assay Office - so basically they have a heap of resources! They have (I think) 6 valuers who each have a ''patch'' of the UK to cover. Typically they do ''roadshows'' at various jewellers - sometimes in big shopping centres like Lakeside for example. You either take your pieces in on a nominated day and leave it and pick it up at the end of the day or you can have an appointment and discuss the piece(s) with the valuer.

After the event, within about a week or so, you get a detailed insurance valuation for each piece which contains a photograph and full description and then a replacement value. If an item is something that could be replaced, the value is based on that. If not, then they assign a value and that is what you would be paid in the event of a loss.

Nearly all insurers will recognise that an valuation from Safeguard is not inflated and is a real reflection of price.

You can also send items (I think) to their Birmingham office for appraisal.

Here are their details http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/safeguard/sjve.html I think that they charge £45 for the first item and then £20 or £25 for each subsequent piece BUT you need to check that. It is expensive but in the event of a loss you don''t have the hassle of having it contested by the insurer. I''ve known my valuer for a number of years now and I give her a job lot every 3 months or so!!!!

Be warned, if you go to a normal jewellers that offer valuations, some charge a % of the value of the item and therefore it''s in their interest to inflate the price - Safeguard don''t do this.

I hope that helps - let me know if you need any more info.

This has been my issue, and why I don''t have anything valued currently. I think my insurance will replace for the cost up to a certain amount and I have receipts, but most of my stuff was bought in the US and is antique so it''s harder to assign a value based on receipt if it were lost or stolen.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE!

I thought you might be interested in what I''ve found out about this watch so far ..............

I wrote to Hamilton (now Swatch) who were incredibly helpful but unfortunately when Swatch took over in 1974 a lot of the documentation was lost. They''ve searched the catalogues they have and can''t find the watch but their in-house bod suggested that the watch was from the 1960s Hamilton Diamond collection?????

Looking at the style of the watch I was very surprised and a little skeptical. However, they also gave me two websites to try and I contacted the owners of both who have a great deal of knowledge of Hamilton. Only one has responded but he''s found reference to the watch movement and can tell me that it was categorically made in 1935 (so well done to OMC and Jewellerman who guessed correctly). He''s also told me that as the case isn''t marked Hamilton, it''s one of those that was outsourced. Apparently Hamilton did this a lot. The LV inscribed on the inside of the case may well be the case maker ......... so I''m still on the hunt!!!

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
NIce watch lovingdiamonds!

WOW~!!!
all this is sooo kewl! It makes me want to investigate my Hamilton antique watch!
Soo kewl!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE IT!!!!! Oh you lucky gal, it''s gorgeous!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent! Thank you for the update, LD!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS - love love love it!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good information so far. It can be really hard to hunt these things down.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE NO.2

I posted photos on a watch forum and have had some great advice. One guy has said that it''s a real American Hamilton and the records are available. The movement was made between 1931 and 1939 and there were 300,000 of this type of movement made. Another poster has said that he''s seen many Hamilton watches with the inscription LV on the inside. They''ve all said to leave the patina on the watch face alone (apparently it devalues the watch and once re-painted there''s no going back) and also to get it serviced.

If I find out anything more I''ll post up but in all honesty I was just curious about it!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 6:50:21 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
UPDATE NO.2

I posted photos on a watch forum and have had some great advice. One guy has said that it''s a real American Hamilton and the records are available. The movement was made between 1931 and 1939 and there were 300,000 of this type of movement made. Another poster has said that he''s seen many Hamilton watches with the inscription LV on the inside. They''ve all said to leave the patina on the watch face alone (apparently it devalues the watch and once re-painted there''s no going back) and also to get it serviced.

If I find out anything more I''ll post up but in all honesty I was just curious about it!
Good Stuff!...I also wholeheartily agree...dont have any work done one the dial...it does devalue a watch....have you tried the watch site I recommended?Im sure they will be able to help with research...what watch site have you posted on?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results