shape
carat
color
clarity

wondering about gemstone ering stats in your area

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

historychick

Shiny_Rock
Well, a three carat pendent would be nice...and you wouldn''t have to wear it every day so that''s less competition right?
2.gif

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
My mother is the only woman I know with a coloured stone e-ring. She has an oval ruby of around 1ct (I would guess) set in a vintage looking white-gold setting.

I also got my wife a gemstone ring for a wedding gift as seen in my avatar, it''s a 1.58ct sapph. I''m gonna get her a white-gold band so she can wear them as her wedding set if she doesn''t want to wear yellow gold with her outfit or whatever too.

sapphire_fiend

Rough_Rock
I never considered picking anything but a sapphire engagement ring! There were a few reasons:

* I hate looking like everyone else. Although many people can tell different diamond styles apart, to me they're pretty much all the same - to the point you can enter specs in a database and come out with an exact stone, setting, and price. My sapphire shopping catered much more to my personal tastes, or at least it felt that way.

* It always seemed like common knowledge that royalty, nobility, etc., prefer sapphires.

* I love sapphires! Love the color, the sparkle, the wearability, everything.

Of people I know, one friend also has a sapphire, and one co-worker's wife picked an antique sapphire ring. In all of our cases, the ladies (late 20s and early 30s) were responsible for choosing the type of stone. I think many men would be nervous to show up with a non-diamond in the U.S. without prior approval... which is why I was always clear on that point.

As for demographics, I'm from a suburb of Philadelphia and currently live in the Cambridge area of Massachusetts. I do see many diamond rings (especially set in platinum), and antique and/or heirloom rings are especially popular as well. At least in my current community, there is a high premium placed on being unique, however you go about doing that.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Nice that you see more antique pieces. My e-ring is an OEC stone in a ring from the 1920s. I''m the only one of my friends that wears an older e-ring.

Evelina

Rough_Rock
I live in NYC but I work in New Jersey.
Two of my co-workers wear gemstone engagement rings - Sapphire and Tanzanite.
I never considered buying a gemstone e-ring, but after I saw the Tanzanite ring I decided to switch myself. I have not started looking yet, but I''m already very excited!
A little of color can make it a very unique piece.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Hi - I''ve been a lurker for a while, but decided to come out of hiding because this topic interests me quite a bit. I''m in the Midwest (from MI, but currently living in MN) and around here there are no colored stone rings for erings at all. My BF and I have decided that a colored stone is the way to go for us (we love the flash of color and the uniqueness of them), but I''ve often wondered if people around here will even realize that my ring is an ering. I only know one person with a colored center tone ring (she''s in Chicago & her family is Irish, so her DH got her a claddagh with a heart shaped emerald surrounded by diamonds for her ering and she has a band with burnish set diamonds which locks in with it for her wedding ring), but I do have a couple of friends with colored side stones (both in MI though). One has marquise cut emeralds flanking a .30 carat round diamond and the other has sapphire & diamond princess cut three stone ring.

historychick

Shiny_Rock
welcome laurel25 thanks for joining
35.gif

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot say I have ever seen a coloured gem stone as the centre stone in an ering here in Winnipeg (south-central Canada, popluation ~650, 000 or 700, 000 if you count the surrounding municipalities). I do see blue sapphires & rubies as sidestones thought. I have seen a white topaz and a white sapphire as centres stones.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 10:16:03 AM
Author: Selkie
Interesting question! I have a sapphire e-ring (with diamond sidestones) and never wanted anything else. I''m not against diamonds at all, and they are my birthstone, I just like the color blue a lot as well as the symbolism of the sapphire. I''m mid-30''s, work in the sciences. The only other person I know personally (i.e. not from Pricescope, because there are many here) with a sapphire or other gemstone engagement ring was my personal trainer last year. She had a haloed oval sapphire set east west with a pave band. Much bigger and blingier than my ring, but it fit her outgoing, young personality (she is mid-20''s).

I guess I don''t think there''s a particular demographic, I think everyone has their own reasons for choosing a gemstone for their ring.
Selkie''s ring is gorgeous! I''ve seen it in person and it''s beautiful. My personal trainer also has sapphires in her engagement ring and wedding band. She''s in her mid twenties. We''re in the northeast, by the way.

I came *this close* to getting this one below but in the end, although I got this same basic design from WF and not Knox Jewelers (it''s a Knox photo), I went with three diamonds. Diamonds won out but I do LOVE sapphires and other colored gem stones in engagement rings and wedding bands.

the leah from knox.JPG

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Zoe, that''s a really pretty ring too! What did you decide on for your wedding band?

stacy

Shiny_Rock
I live in the Southeastern US and I don''t see a lot of gemstone e-rings either. I personally prefer gemstones... I LOVE spinel, ruby and sapphires. My e-ring is a purple spinel that Jeff White cut for me. I don''t really care if people realize it''s an e-ring or not... I LOVE it!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Now that I am looking....

I saw a woman with a sapphire e-ring yesterday, there was no mistaking it because a wedding band was worn with it

The sales lady I am working with at the jewelry store wears an emarld ring on her left hand with 2 diamond side stones.

I would say that maybe up to 5% of people have some sort of color in their e-ring in my area (S. CA).

Also just to clear things up. When I see a ring on a woman''s left hand I assume she in engaged/married no matter what it looks like, regardless center stone, unless she says otherwise. That was just the opinion of a male friend I just thought I would state I because I thought I would just show another opinion of someone who is not really into jewelry and dosn''t know the options except for the stuff that is shoved in their face by all the adds that market to guys that you "have to buy a diamond engagement ring." I personally think a couple should choose a ring that fits them best.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 1:45:15 PM
Author: Selkie
Zoe, that''s a really pretty ring too! What did you decide on for your wedding band?
Hi Selkie! This is my wedding band:

x prong wf band.JPG

historychick

Shiny_Rock
zoebartlett that ring with pear sidestones is smashing ! I''ll bet your ering turned out great too.
2.gif

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Missouri and I have yet to see a colored gem ering (which is one of the reasons that I''m looking for one). Don''t get me wrong, I LOVE diamonds and think they are beautiful, but for a ring that I will wear every day for the rest of my life I want something that is more special to me than a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results