shape
carat
color
clarity

Wonder how much I should pay for this diamond ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

invest4life

Rough_Rock
Hi,I am a new member to this forum and was hoping that I could get an estimate as to how much I should pay for this diamond without getting ripped off ? Round Brilliant Stone - F Color - 2.02 Clarity - SI1
Depth - 61.4%
Table - 62%
Girdle - Very Thin - Very Thick, FACETED
Cutlet - NonePolish - Very Good
Symmetry - Good
Flourescence - NoneI appreciate any answers. Thanks.

invest4life

Rough_Rock
Leonid, thank you very much for the reply/replies. Wow if its no better than a 3 cut the range for that according to price charts on the pricescope site is $3400 - $3900 /carat for 3B & $7500 - $9100 /carat for 3A. $17.5K would be a good deal if it was a 3A cut. Is it taboo to ask the jeweler for the pavilon or crown angles, i.e. is that something they can readily determine ? Thanks again for your replies.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Oh, there is probably an error for the 3B stats prices... Sorry I got to fix it - it cannot be $3,500/carat. However, still the price for the worse cut stone can be lower $16k-$17k.Of course it is not a taboo to ask about crown and pavilion. The Sarin or Megascope measurements can be done in a few minutes and do not cost much.

invest4life

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply Leonid, the jeweler was asking $17,550 for it. I was not sure if that was a good price or not. What do you think ? The stone's description was pulled off the GIA report that the jeweler showed me. I am not sure what a grading report is ? Is that the same as a GIA certificate. Also am not sure what kind of cut it would be, i.e. 1A 1B 2A 2B 3A 3B ? The pricescope price range on this diamond (depending on the cut type) is between $3500 - $9500 per carat. Now I just need to understand how do I find out the cut grade/type. Any suggestions ?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
'Certificate' and 'cert' are just the jargon terms for 'grading report'.Well, if the diamond has GIA report, $17.5k sounds like a good deal. However, you will be more secure if will show the diamond to an independent expert/appraiser. After all, it still costs quite a bit of money.Because of very thin - very thick girdle the AGA cut class is not better than 3, see www.gemappraisers.com/chrt1.htm or www.pricescope.com/tutor_round.asp To tell more about the cut one should know crown and pavilion angles from Sarin or Megascope report.Because depth is not too deep it still can be a nice stone but knowing only table and total depth it's impossible to tell more.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Invest4life,You can find similar or a bit better diamond with GIA grading report in the internet for less than $19k.Does your diamond have a grading report?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Well, today there is no unique cut grading system and different sources are using different terms (ideal, premium, very good, etc.) based on their own approaches that often are different.In AGA you can also see that 1A, 1B is American Ideal, 2A,B - International Fine, 3A,B - US domestic average and 4 - Below average (see www.gemappraisers.com/chrt1.htm ).However, I would suggest not paying as much attention to the cut grades and my price stats. Try to search the database for the stones with close carat, color, clarity, and table/depth data and then pay attentions to the details like girdle, polish, symmetry, etc.$17,5k might still be a good deal for a brick-and-mortar store.If you would get crown and pavilion angles, it would help to say more about the cut and if there is something you should beware of.

invest4life

Rough_Rock
Thanks leonid for making the changes, I see now the ranges for 2+ cts, F/SI1 are:
Cut Avg - Low/carat
--------------------
3A - $9103 - 7556
3B - $9089 - 7280 are there any lower ranges for worse cuts ?
Will a jewler know what cut number the ring is, i.e. 3A / 3B. Most net sites I am visiting tell me the cut ranges from ideal -poor. Not sure how map up the cut types with cut numbers. I know 1A is ideal & I think poor is a 4A/4B, but as far as the rest goes I am unclear. Hmm, so 17.5K with a plain platinum setting, is an OK price, not great. Now I just need to find out the Pavilion/Crown Angles, and hope its indeed a 3 cut and not any worse.
Thanks for all your help.

invest4life

Rough_Rock
OK, I will find out the crown & pavilion angles (or at least try to) tomorrow, and then post them on this msg thread, as well as use the Cut Adviser. I appreciate all your help, thanks again. If I wanted to buy an idealscope - can I call a number in the US as opposed to putting the credit card info online.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Yes, 1-905...
smile.gif
You can't get Sarin or Megascope report for the mounted diamond. However, if the diamond is not completely hidden e.g. prong settings appraiser can estimate crown and pavilion depths/angles.

invest4life

Rough_Rock
I asked for the angles and of course he did not know them, and since the stone is mounted we cannot get exact figures. He did say however that the GIA report does not have any comments to the effect of poor crown angle (i.e. less then 30 or greater than 35%) or poor pavilion angle. I have done business with this jeweler in the past and can say I trust him more than any other jeweler I have met. He also says the cut is between Good - Very Good in his opinion.Should I be worried about the girdle: vey thin to very thick, faceted ? Is this enough of a reason not to buy the stone. Wow diamond buying is causing me anxiety. Thanks again.

invest4life

Rough_Rock
Hi,The stone is set in prongs. Why is the girdle listed as very thin to very thick, faceted, is that saying that certain parts of the girdle is very thin whereas other parts are very thick, or is it an average so to speak. I most definitely plan on taking the ring to an appraiser, thanks.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]

Why is the girdle listed as very thin to very thick, faceted, is that saying that certain parts of the girdle is very thin whereas other parts are very thick, or is it an average so to speak.
That's right. Some part(s) of the girdle are very thin some others - very thick

pricescope

Ideal_Rock

I asked for the angles and of course he did not know them, and since the stone is mounted we cannot get exact figures.
What is the type of settings? Prongs or bezel?
He did say however that the GIA report does not have any comments to the effect of poor crown angle (i.e. less then 30 or greater than 35%) or poor pavilion angle.
That is true.

I have done business with this jeweler in the past and can say I trust him more than any other jeweler I have met. He also says the cut is between Good - Very Good in his opinion.
It is very important if you trust the jeweler and feel comfortable doing business with him. The price sounds reasonable and I if you like the diamond and settings I would say go for it.
Should I be worried about the girdle: very thin to very thick, faceted ? Is this enough of a reason not to buy the stone.
Girdle doesn't affect the beauty as much as proportions. Very thin girdle increases risk of chipping. Very thick girdle is just a dead carat weight. However if the price is right and diamond is already set it shouldn't be the reason not to buy the diamond.Wow diamond buying is causing me anxiety.It shouldn't. Show the ring to independent appraiser in order to make sure that the diamond has no hidden negative factors you should be aware of.

invest4life

Rough_Rock
If the ring is mounted in a platinum setting can I still get megascope or sarin readings for the crown & pavilion angles ? Can I just dial 1-905...., or do I need an international country code first, not sure if I need to include the country code since I am calling from the US. Thanks again.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Invest4life,Congratulations! Enjoy your new rock
lickout.gif

invest4life

Rough_Rock
Hi leonid, I just wanted to tell you that I bought the diamond w/ a platinum setting for $17,500. It appraised for about $25,000, so I am happy. I am very happy with the stone, and the appraiser did not see anything bad with the stone. The Appraiser was Macy's in Herald Square - NYC. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results