shape
carat
color
clarity

Woman filed a false report

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She accused 3 people of harassing her on the subway. Now she is charged with filing a false report.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Missing-Muslim-Student-Baruch-College-Arrested-False-Alert-Trump-Subway-406606865.html

snip...

A New York college student who said she was harassed on a subway train earlier this month has been arrested, law enforcement sources told NBC 4 New York.
Yasmin Seweid, 18, was charged with filing a false report after she told authorities three men called her a terrorist and chanted "Donald Trump" at her aboard the 23rd Street 4/5/6 subway station on Dec. 1.

The Baruch College student allegedly told police she was approached by the trio and told to "get out of this country," was called a terrorist aboard the train and told to "get the f****** hijab off your head!" She also alleged that one of the men grabbed her bag and broke the strap.
Seweid posted to Facebook about the attack on Dec. 2, saying that "it breaks my heart that so many individuals chose to be bystanders while watching me get harassed verbally and physically by these disgusting pigs."

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. Thanks for sharing, red.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm concerned that this will only fuel disbelievers when a true harassment situation occurs. Idiotic behaviour!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my concern also Chrono. And that the major news outlets ran with this story when she made the accusation without any kind of investigating is also concerning. I do not trust the news.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lots of the reports were fake. Lots were also real. All of it is distressing.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don't get why people make fake reports. It's so much work, and for what, to go on TV and talk about how you got beat up? Did someone start a GFM for her (or start it herself...)? I just don't understand what people get out of wasting other peoples time. Very frustrating, and I agree, it will take away legitimacy to real claims about this kind of stuff.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1481817549|4107485 said:
I just don't get why people make fake reports. It's so much work, and for what, to go on TV and talk about how you got beat up? Did someone start a GFM for her (or start it herself...)? I just don't understand what people get out of wasting other peoples time. Very frustrating, and I agree, it will take away legitimacy to real claims about this kind of stuff.

It costs the taxpayers of NY tons of money in PD staff time to investigate these claims. I think it should be like the fire dept. in some areas where if you negligently caused a fire you have to pay for the call.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1481770381|4107371 said:
She accused 3 people of harassing her on the subway. Now she is charged with filing a false report.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Missing-Muslim-Student-Baruch-College-Arrested-False-Alert-Trump-Subway-406606865.html

snip...

A New York college student who said she was harassed on a subway train earlier this month has been arrested, law enforcement sources told NBC 4 New York.
Yasmin Seweid, 18, was charged with filing a false report after she told authorities three men called her a terrorist and chanted "Donald Trump" at her aboard the 23rd Street 4/5/6 subway station on Dec. 1.

The Baruch College student allegedly told police she was approached by the trio and told to "get out of this country," was called a terrorist aboard the train and told to "get the f****** hijab off your head!" She also alleged that one of the men grabbed her bag and broke the strap.
Seweid posted to Facebook about the attack on Dec. 2, saying that "it breaks my heart that so many individuals chose to be bystanders while watching me get harassed verbally and physically by these disgusting pigs."

Well Red, at least she didn't kill someone if there is an upside. She was an idiot and has no redeeming quality, we have enough real incidents in America without people lying.

https://www.democracynow.org/2016/8/23/hate_crime_in_tulsa_khalid_jabaras

In Oklahoma, funeral services were held Friday for Khalid Jabara, a Lebanese-American man police say was shot dead by his next-door neighbor in a possible hate crime. Police say Stanley Majors will be charged with first-degree murder. Majors has harassed the Jabara family for years. The August 12 killing came less than a year after Majors was arrested and jailed for hitting Jabara’s mother with his car while she was jogging. At the time, the mother, Haifa Jabara, already had a restraining order against Majors, after he had threatened and harassed her. But eight months ..

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1481817725|4107488 said:
It costs the taxpayers of NY tons of money in PD staff time to investigate these claims. I think it should be like the fire dept. in some areas where if you negligently caused a fire you have to pay for the call.
I do feel for this girl a bit though. If she felt forced to make up a lie this big to cover up going out drinking with friends and her family made her shave her head for it, I believe her home situation must be pretty bad. Does not justify what she did whatsoever, but it sounds like she needs some help.

I agree with fines or something. I believe some states have that. I remember when we were going to Maui, we were warned to take the 'proper' road to Hana, because half is paved and the other half is not fully paved, prone to flash flooding, rental cars don't allow you take the car there, etc. Anyways, I found a story when I was researching this, about 2 kids who were out drinking, went the 'wrong' way, got stuck in a flash flood and had to get heli-lifted out, along with their car. It cost the state thousands of dollars, and I think they were going after them with charges. That could be because they were drinking & driving though. Not sure. Anyways, I agree overall though.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kids are dumb sometimes and should have to pay for whatever the outcome might be. Or their parents.

I am pretty sure the victims of actual hate crimes would rather the police spent time on their investigations.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1481809471|4107451 said:
I'm concerned that this will only fuel disbelievers when a true harassment situation occurs. Idiotic behaviour!

+1 ... just like rape.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe to get attention/15 minutes of fame.
Maybe (ironically, since it backfires when proven to be a false claim) to attempt to make a point that problem X is real and important.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I agree that the problem is real and important, but as we've seen by this example, some of it is not real. It's disturbing either way.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1481817725|4107488 said:

And the same should be done with her.

She should be forced to reimburse the police department for every penny it cost, no matter how long it takes.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1481828101|4107520 said:

Maybe to get attention/15 minutes of fame.
Maybe (ironically, since it backfires when proven to be a false claim) to attempt to make a point that problem X is real and important.

Yes, what better way to fuel the fire of the past election by falsely claiming an incident of hate.

But of course now it will have the opposite effect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results