shape
carat
color
clarity

Without clues, do you assume posters here are female?

Without clues, do you assume posters here are female?

• Yes

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Hey moron, there are more than 2 genders

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many screen names offer no clue.
So?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't assume. Was it "The Odd Couple" with the never assume episode? Remember it? When we assume we make an ass out of u and me. :lol:

Without other clues I do not guess. The odds are yes they are female but they very well might not be.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Implant

IF you have enough jaw bone density, a great (good doesn't cut it) oral surgeon and a history of healing OK.

Personally wouldn't dream of sacrificing the virgin tooth for a bridge nor the brace thingie...
Tooth shifting is real, but if your doc confirmed that it's not a problem with your guard you can think about it some more, masks and all...
My best friend had her lower jaw tooth move up 1 mm very fast after the upper counterpart was removed, soI'm wary

D

Deactivated member 42515

Implant

IF you have enough jaw bone density, a great (good doesn't cut it) oral surgeon and a history of healing OK.

Personally wouldn't dream of sacrificing the virgin tooth for a bridge nor the brace thingie...
Tooth shifting is real, but if your doc confirmed that it's not a problem with your guard you can think about it some more, masks and all...
My best friend had her lower jaw tooth move up 1 mm very fast after the upper counterpart was removed, soI'm wary

I took a muscle relaxer before bed so maybe I’m loopy... but this doesn’t make sense to me... anyone else? LOL

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry ladies, or gentlemen, or other, I got two threads twisted up.
My bad.

I'll start the tooth thread later.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps the impulse to put others in jars labeled, male, female, or other is wrong.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps the impulse to put others in jars labeled, male, female, or other is wrong.

I agree. Whatever makes one comfortable in their own skin is cool with me. None of my business if they’re a she or he or they. Whatever works.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't assume, and often use the make an ass out of u and me when I lecture on good whatever practices.

However, I do believe the majority of posters on PS are ladies.

DK :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
With my user name I assume that people know I’m female. I don’t assume anyone is female unless the avatar gives a clue.

I don’t care what gender anyone is as long as they want to talk diamonds, etc.:kiss2:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree. Whatever makes one comfortable in their own skin is cool with me. None of my business if they’re a she or he or they. Whatever works.

drifting off the topic for a moment...

While I will use whatever personal pronouns a person is comfortable with, I have a hard time with "they, them." I mean I'll use them, but I can't get over the hump that they refer to the singular rather than plural. This causes me to trip over the word and sound so stilted that I just stop using a pronoun altogether and go with the person's name. (I actually learned to do this in a parent/teacher conference when I noticed the dad would only refer to his child, who identified as male, by name - never he or him.)

Do any languages have neutral pronouns that refer to people? I know that in German, nouns are masculine, feminine or neuter - but I believe personal pronouns are still masculine/feminine/plural.

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, I guess I do assume that now that I think about it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, without clues I do assume posters are female.

My comments in a thread usually do not make reference to gender, however, unless I know for certain from other info revealed by that PSer which gender he/she identifies as.

If I don't know the PSer from past PS encounters, I use "OP" rather than "he/she," and "partner" or "SO" rather than BF/GF/husband/wife. [I tend to use "OP" anyway, as some PS member names are rather long and make use of underlines or hypens or run words together ... it takes less energy for me to use "OP"]

But yes, I do assume the majority of PSers are female, based on my own knowledge gained from PS interactions and from periodic statistics posted about PS members ... and I'd be completely gobsmacked if this assumption is incorrect.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.
Unless someone chooses a handle that begins with “Dr”.
Then I assume that individual is both male and not a doctor of any sort.

Q

Queenie60

I usually assume they are female. It would be interesting to know what percentage are males? I can think of a handful of males that post on this forum since you brought it up.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If they are new and asking a question in RT and dont offer any clues then no.
Someone posting on the rest of the board with no clues I do assume female.
Given the ratio of the posters its the right pick the majority of the time.

I’ve never really thought about it until this question, haha. Unless they reveal their gender in a post or it’s relevant to the discussion I usually use gender neutral terms/pronouns (at least I try) or avoid them altogether. But my assumption would be that the majority of posters here are female, or that if it’s a person looking for a ring for their SO, they’re a male (since cis heterosexual relationships are the most common). But it doesn’t matter at all to me what their gender/sexual orientation is!

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
drifting off the topic for a moment...

While I will use whatever personal pronouns a person is comfortable with, I have a hard time with "they, them." I mean I'll use them, but I can't get over the hump that they refer to the singular rather than plural. This causes me to trip over the word and sound so stilted that I just stop using a pronoun altogether and go with the person's name. (I actually learned to do this in a parent/teacher conference when I noticed the dad would only refer to his child, who identified as male, by name - never he or him.)

Do any languages have neutral pronouns that refer to people? I know that in German, nouns are masculine, feminine or neuter - but I believe personal pronouns are still masculine/feminine/plural.

Probably drifting even more off-topic, but in French, the pronoun matches the gender of the noun. For example, "son coeur" means his or her heart. Thus, while not neutral, one would not know if I were referring to the heart of a man or a woman without more context as "coeur" is masculine and "son" is a masculine pronoun.

That said, there are still designations for he (il) and she (elle).

To get back on topic, I do assume that most of the posters here are women, but do use OP or @name if I need to refer to anyone in posts unless I am certain of gender.

*edited to address the original post

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I assume female based on names and pics, and just the fact I've been here so long and reasonably remember people in Hangout. But in RT, no, I don't assume anything. It's also a hint when handshots are pictured. There are clues. Yes, I'm aware of the many genders. I take my social cues from what the person says about themselves and how they refer to themselves. I could always be wrong, and wouldn't mind being corrected at all.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don't think about it at all.

cheers--Sharon

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I do assume most posters are female because that is more likely. But I don't necessarily assume a particular poster is male or female without further information. I don't see how it matters either way though.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you put your hand blindly in a bag which you are told has 99 red balls and one white ball. And you were told that you won a prize if you picked up the white ball, would you default assume you had lost before you opened your hand?

I generically assume I have lost, and don't hang around till the result is called. Every once in a while I am wrong, but it's inconsequential when I am.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man bling.
That sounds hot.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I guess I usually do assume female, although I probably shouldn't as there definitely are a number of non female posters.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
happens to me

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume female unless given clues otherwise.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results