carat
color
clarity

Winza vs. Burma- Ruby Pricing

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, tons of orange.

Are you asking to see stones with orange modifiers or requesting no pink/purple? It may just be a coincidence or this is all that's available on the market at the mo but just thought I'd ask!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one has orange too and given that it is heated, of course, it will be priced exponentially less. How much residue is detected?

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1364841919|3418021 said:
Again, tons of orange.

Are you asking to see stones with orange modifiers or requesting no pink/purple? It may just be a coincidence or this is all that's available on the market at the mo but just thought I'd ask!

No problem LD,

The market is very limited at the moment. For example I have only found 3 potential stones available that I would consider. And you know how hard I search.

So funny thing about that last stone I just posted. On my wife's HP laptop computer I see tons of orange in it. On my desktop which has a 100% accurate RGB Photoshop calibrated monitor I don't see much orange at all instead just red. Very interesting.

The stone comes with a report from GRS that states the color as- Vivid Red (Pigeon Blood)

Personally I HATE seeing a pink Ruby!!! I can not express how much that bugs me. A Ruby should be RED! Perhaps in my distaste for pink in Rubies my subconscious is pulling toward Rubies with orange modifiers instead of pink modifiers.

As we already know there isn't really a "true/pure" red in gems. I wonder if my eye is naturally drawn to orange modifiers.

LD if you have picture examples of pink/orange modified reds please post them and I will tell you which I prefer most. You have me curious now. Haha!

~Justin

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1364843355|3418034 said:
This one has orange too and given that it is heated, of course, it will be priced exponentially less. How much residue is detected?

Wow now two people who's eye I really trust say they see orange in this stone... Hmmm maybe my calibrated monitor is wrong. Again when I look at the stone on the laptop I see tons of orange.

~Justin

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer a ruby with a slight purple modifier over one with a slight orange modifier. The hint of purple can easily be neutralized by a high karat yellow gold setting.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so I am really curious about this whole red thing. I really want to figure out if my perfect red is a reddish orange or a reddish pink/purple.

I just called my Dad to see what he thought. My father paints cars and he said that most of the popular reds used on performance cars have orange in them.

Growing up my favorite color he painted was Ferrari Red. I think it is still my favorite red. And you guessed it Ferrari Red has orange in it....
fiat_story_reds.gif
2014-ferrari-458-scuderia-reviews.jpg

I am also really drawn to Honda Red. Which is another color my Dad painted a lot. Honda Red also has orange in it.

honda-cr-z-hybrid-race-car-promotion-at-le-mans-event-front-left-red.jpg

I am starting to see a pattern here.
What do you think?
~Justin

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you may just have saved yourself a lot of money :naughty:

If you like reds with a touch of orange, then good for you. Find the stone that is perfect for you and pay a fair market price for it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1364848289|3418092 said:

If you like reds with a touch of orange, then good for you. Find the stone that is perfect for you and pay a fair market price for it.

Ditto!

You're definitely favouring orange modifiers.

Here's one of my Rubies that has a pink/purple modifier. I wouldn't touch one with orange so I suspect that you will hate this one as much as I dislike the orange ones! Don't worry if you hate it, I love it and nothing anybody will ever say will sway me - so be as brutal as you want! :lol: For me, the orange starts tipping it towards the brown spectrum.

ruby_for_ps_0.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justin: LD and Chrono answered before I could, but yes, I see pronounced orange in that stone - almost as much orange as red! Anyway, you definitely like vivid saturation and now that you know that are drawn slightly to the orange side of life ( :bigsmile: ), you should be able to find yourself a sweetheart stone for hopefully less than you anticipated. What about working with a jeweler to review Pala's inventory?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1364849578|3418106 said:

Ditto!

Here's one of my Rubies that has a pink/purple modifier. I wouldn't touch one with orange so I suspect that you will hate this one as much as I dislike the orange ones! Don't worry if you hate it, I love it and nothing anybody will ever say will sway me - so be as brutal as you want! :lol: For me, the orange starts tipping it towards the brown spectrum.

LD: I'm gonna have to start a thread on you called "Orange is Not Brown!" :lol: :lol:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The 2nd ruby has a strong orange modifier, and I would pass on it. The one from Nomad depends on which monitor I use, and I like it. It either looks neutral red, or red with a tiny orange. Really. I assume it has an AGL report with the color breakdown? I would ask them about that if you are curious.

I favor red stones with a slight purple. I say slight. The stone in my avatar was taken on a sunny day, where it is showing its pink flour and is at its maximum pink/purple. Otherwise, it looks less pink/purple.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you for the encouraging words! This is fun for me. At first I was really scratching my head. I hardly ever disagree with Chrono, and LD when it comes to color but I guess Rubies will be the exception haha! Really its not a disagreement I agree that the stone has orange in it. The difference I guess is that I like the orange.
~Justin

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justin_Cutter|1364856866|3418191 said:

Thank you for the encouraging words! This is fun for me. At first I was really scratching my head. I hardly ever disagree with Chrono, and LD when it comes to color but I guess Rubies will be the exception haha! Really its not a disagreement I agree that the stone has orange in it. The difference I guess is that I like the orange.
~Justin

Justin the world would be a rubbish place if we all liked the same things and can you imagine how that would drive the prices up! :lol:

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock

Ditto!

LD, I love chatting with you! I like that we can both be honest even if we are on opposite sides preference wise.

1st, that ring is beautiful!

2nd, To my eye I see a deep magentaish sapphire, Not a ruby. I personally don't see any red in it. But I still like it!

As for the orange tipping red stones toward brown I can understand that. I don't feel that any of the Rubies I have posted suffer from the orange enough to say that I see brown, but I have see orange do that.

Here is another picture of the Ruby I was sent.
ruby_2.png

I called my dad again lol! He says that when he looks at orange gems he rarely sees "true" orange. He said hes sees lots of brown. I told him that he is right and that is why most orange stones are brownish orange.

He told me that when he mixes paint and adds pure orange to red it never goes brown. He also said he never goes above 20% orange. Its interesting talking to him because he knows nothing about gems but he does know color.

This is so fun for me. I think I have come to a conclusion that I still love Reddish Pinks/Purples as long as the red is dominate. But my favorite red personally is the red that has a touch of orange. For some reason the stone jumps out more to me and says hey look at me!!! Haha!

Here is a non orange modified Ruby that I enjoy. I like the big one on the right in particular.
vca-piat-swala.jpg

~Justin

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1364856116|3418181 said:
Justin: LD and Chrono answered before I could, but yes, I see pronounced orange in that stone - almost as much orange as red! Anyway, you definitely like vivid saturation and now that you know that are drawn slightly to the orange side of life ( :bigsmile: ), you should be able to find yourself a sweetheart stone for hopefully less than you anticipated. What about working with a jeweler to review Pala's inventory?

Thank you! Yes I think it will happen I just need to be patient. :read: It just helps now that I know it like you said. Also it helps me look at a Ruby and know what others will like even if I don't personally prefer it as much. Its a win win all around. I love helping people find gems and now I know that my eye favors reddish orange. Knowing that is half the battle. :))
~Justin

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1364856666|3418187 said:
The 2nd ruby has a strong orange modifier, and I would pass on it. The one from Nomad depends on which monitor I use, and I like it. It either looks neutral red, or red with a tiny orange. Really. I assume it has an AGL report with the color breakdown? I would ask them about that if you are curious.

I favor red stones with a slight purple. I say slight. The stone in my avatar was taken on a sunny day, where it is showing its pink flour and is at its maximum pink/purple. Otherwise, it looks less pink/purple.

Thanks for the input! You do have a lovely stone there pregcurious! I really enjoy that red as well. I think that since I grew up seeing my Father paint red with orange that had a effect on what my personal definition of red looks like.
~Justin

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1364857474|3418199 said:
Justin_Cutter|1364856866|3418191 said:

~Justin

Justin the world would be a rubbish place if we all liked the same things and can you imagine how that would drive the prices up! :lol:

You are so right LD! ;)) I think the thing I have learned today is that it IS important to know what the popular "ideal" red looks like for reference and helping others. But that doesn't mean it has to be one's personal favorite combination of red. Simple concept I know but sometimes a hard one to accept for oneself.

~Justin

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photography may not be accurately white balanced.
Each of our monitors may not be accurately white balanced.

Gotta see the gem live, in many environments and light sources, to judge the color.

Just because the Internet has made it possible to 'see' gems does not mean what you see is what you get.
Why do people believe their screens? :errrr:
With such stones too much money is at stake to make decisions based on what you see on your monitor.

Pay money to ship stones, or yourself, so you can see the stone in person.
Or do what I do ... buy it (if it seems close to what you may want) and return it if you don't like it.
This will cost a pittance compared to the kind of ruby you are considering.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1364859396|3418221 said:
The photography may not be accurately white balanced.
Each of our monitors may not be accurately white balanced.

Gotta see the gem live, in many environments and light sources, to judge the color.

Just because the Internet has made it possible to 'see' gems does not mean what you see is what you get.
Why do people believe their screens? :errrr:
With such stones too much money is at stake to make decisions based on what you see on your monitor.

Pay money to ship stones, or yourself, so you can see the stone in person.
Or do what I do ... buy it (if it seems close to what you may want) and return it if you don't like it.
This will cost a pittance compared to the kind of ruby you are considering.

I agree Kenny, The weak link for all of us is the unknown element of how the gem was photographed and the monitor which we are viewing it...
I purchased 3 sapphires and had to return 2 of them... to Thailand no less in search for my wife's stone. And the truth is not a single one of them looked like the pictures I was sent. Some closer than others but none of them were exact.

~Justin

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justin_Cutter|1364858092|3418206 said:

Ditto!

LD, I love chatting with you! I like that we can both be honest even if we are on opposite sides preference wise.

1st, that ring is beautiful!

2nd, To my eye I see a deep magentaish sapphire, Not a ruby. I personally don't see any red in it. But I still like it!

As for the orange tipping red stones toward brown I can understand that. I don't feel that any of the Rubies I have posted suffer from the orange enough to say that I see brown, but I have see orange do that.

Here is another picture of the Ruby I was sent.
ruby_2.png

I called my dad again lol! He says that when he looks at orange gems he rarely sees "true" orange. He said hes sees lots of brown. I told him that he is right and that is why most orange stones are brownish orange.

He told me that when he mixes paint and adds pure orange to red it never goes brown. He also said he never goes above 20% orange. Its interesting talking to him because he knows nothing about gems but he does know color.

This is so fun for me. I think I have come to a conclusion that I still love Reddish Pinks/Purples as long as the red is dominate. But my favorite red personally is the red that has a touch of orange. For some reason the stone jumps out more to me and says hey look at me!!! Haha!

Here is a non orange modified Ruby that I enjoy. I like the big one on the right in particular.
vca-piat-swala.jpg

~Justin

I like your Dad - he makes a great deal of sense! Gems/paint = colour. It's all the same!

BTW here's another shot of my ruby. Perhaps the black background wasn't helping! This is red not magenta and thankfully the report agrees! ;))

So what's your decision - are you going to see the stone?

ruby_6.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have agree with Kenny here. To debate slight color shifts based on photos displayed on different monitors is really pointless.

Here's various stones discussed analyzed with the Apple color meter. It turns out that the Italians got it right and have a true red. All the rest some some blue and green in them, and LD's ruby is very blue, I would think to the point that it could be debated that it's a sapphire. But then again, who knows without seeing the stone in person.

screen_shot_2013-04-01_at_7.png

screen_shot_2013-04-01_at_0.png

screen_shot_2013-04-01_at_1.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1364860216|3418233 said:
I have agree with Kenny here. To debate slight color shifts based on photos displayed on different monitors is really pointless.

Here's various stones discussed analyzed with the Apple color meter. It turns out that the Italians got it right and have a true red. All the rest some some blue and green in them, and LD's ruby is very blue, I would think to the point that it could be debated that it's a sapphire. But then again, who knows without seeing the stone in person.

LOL Gene! Thank goodness I didn't ask you to give me advice before buying it then because the report disagrees with you! Would you still debate it after seeing the other photo I posted with a neutral background? I've never posted that photo before simply because it was taken before it was set into the ring - forgive the quality of the photo because it was taken at least 15 years ago.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
LD, That new picture is sooooo much better color wise! I can see some red in it now. I am not sure what I am going to do now. Obviously the Nomads Ruby is out. Way to expensive for me. I will keep looking and see what else I can find. :))

PrecisionGem|1364860683|3418235 said:
This is the Ferrari paint. Pure red.

Gene, you are rocking my world!!! I know most will feel that Ferrari Red is still a "orangy" red but this makes me feel a little better about liking it so much!
~Justin

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justin_Cutter|1364860972|3418238 said:
LD, That new picture is sooooo much better color wise! I can see some red in it now. I am not sure what I am going to do now. Obviously the Nomads Ruby is out. Way to expensive for me. I will keep looking and see what else I can find. :))

Gene, you are rocking my world!!! I know most will feel that Ferrari Red is still a "orangy" red but this makes me feel a little better about liking it so much!
~Justin

Not me! I grew up around racing cars and I've never looked at that colour as having any hint of orange!

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1364861416|3418245 said:
Justin_Cutter|1364860972|3418238 said:

~Justin

Not me! I grew up around racing cars and I've never looked at that colour as having any hint of orange!

Cool! I would have assumed after my post with the Ferrari Color and the Cars based on your comment that you though they were Red with Orange. Maybe I am getting everyone's comments confused. lol! ;))

~Justin

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clearly the most authoritative and definitive source of TRUE red must be the auto insurance industry, since red is the most expensive color to insure.
You just KNOW with so much money at stake that they'd Shirley research and arrive at the ultimate reference color chip for red.

They need to post it here so we all can calibrate our eyeballs to what our monitors show us.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Justin,

I just wanted to say in my recent purchases (and returns) I've found that I'm drawn to a slight orange mod to my red gems, as I'm opposed to seeing any pink. Yay for me, less expensive and maybe I'll have an easier time finding one. As long as saturation is right and the amount of orange isn't huge-that won't make it "brown". My opinion...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that in certain stones, I like a touch of orange, in others a touch of pink and yet in another group, a touch of blue. It all depends.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, That would be so funny! Interestingly enough my Dad tells me that Red is also the most expensive color to paint on a vehicle. Apparently Ferrari owns a copyright on the red they use. Dad said to go and purchase Ferrari Red is something like $1000 per gallon!!! Usually he will start with another red like Honda Red for example and then slowly add different colors to it to obtain a "Ferrari Red" color. This is more cost effective since Honda Red is about $300 per gallon.

Chris, Thanks for stopping by. I am so stubborn sometimes with color. Some types of gemstones I am very flexible with on what modifier I see. For example Spinel.... I like Pink, and Orange modifiers in Red. Obviously the orange has to be kept in check but you know what I mean. I guess with rubies I will always seek to obtain that perfect red. And that is probably why I will never be able to afford one.

Chrono, Like I was saying to Chris, I feel the same way. I guess I am to stubborn for my own good when it comes to Rubies. I have a feeling tho that the Nomads Ruby is probably very nice in real life. Not that it matters since I can't afford it. I'll go play my violin now. ;(

~Justin

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results