shape
carat
color
clarity

Winter Storm Jonas

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which of us PSers are experiencing or expect to experience Storm Jonas?

weather.com has been predicting 10 inches or less for my area later today and tomorrow, but my local forecasters say to expect 20-30 inches plus 50 -55 mph winds. The governor declared a state of emergency yesterday and schools are closed today. Grocery stores have been a zoo since the beginning of the week.

We are prepared with a stockpile of food, shovels, wine, and electronics on chargers. We are using this as an opportunity to stock up on winter food by cooking homemade soups and beef sauce. I already cleaned most of the floors in the house and will do some laundry. Our stove/oven and fireplace are powered by gas, so we will at least have those comforts if we lost power.

I hope all who are in Jonas' path stay safe.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mary Poppins. I hope you stay safe too as well as everyone here.

We are in the path of this storm at both homes and I am mainly concerned about our poor feral kitties who we have been trying to care for who live outside near our beach house. Also concerned about coastal damage and the strong possibility of major flooding where we are. So I have been worrying about a lot. Safety of the feral kitties is of paramount concern with over 60mph winds being predicted in Monmouth County. At our NYC home I am not as worried though we may lose power and in NYC we don't have a generator. We do at the beach but they are evacuating everyone there so we are staying in NYC.

Just got back from Costco and it was a madhouse. Now they are saying this might be one of the top worst Nor'easter storms of all time at the Jersey shore due to high tide hitting three times during the 36 hour predicted storm period.

Stay safe everyone and if you can please check in here to let us know how you are doing.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
We've already got 6 inches, expecting 2 feet. I'm holed up inside my apartment until Sunday at least!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You guys make me REAL glad I live in Idaho, where we are currently experiencing Global Warming and temperatures as high as the mid 40s this week.

It is funny how it is all relative. A day in the 40s in July would be FREEZING and now I take the dogs for their evening walk in my shirt sleeves cause it seems so balmy. (By the time I get back to the house I am wondering WHAT WAS I THINKING?)

Please be careful all of you who are affected by the storm. I will be thinking good thoughts and sending you all some warm Pricescope dust.

Wink

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wishing safety for everyone, especially those who are not accustomed to driving on snow & ice!! It's an entirely different animal, just leave a ton of room between you & the others, & drive slow.

I for one, am curious to hear the snow fall totals, along with a regional report as to where. & of course the wind, it will be wild no doubt. I'm sort of a weather geek. Best wishes to all the critters, especially those kitties of yours Missy!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending warm PS dust to those impacted on the East Coast. Please be safe.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take care, everyone. It has started snowing here, so I'll be leaving work soon.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1453494289|3979841 said:
Take care, everyone. It has started snowing here, so I'll be leaving work soon.

Chrono! There you are! I've been looking everywhere for you! :D

I was wondering if you'd mind checking out my peridot heart in SMTB and telling me if the color is good quality? I don't mind either way because I love it and it's mine, but I have no real idea about hues/tones/color with peridot, and I'd be interested in an expert opinion like yours. I paid $139 for it. I think we discussed it before. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/peridot-heart-pendant.219022/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/peridot-heart-pendant.219022/[/URL]

I also bought that blue kyanite ring we discussed a while ago. I'm going to put that up soon, too, and would value your opinion.

Thank you so much in advance! :appl:

Sorry for the threadjack, and stay safe everyone!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not concerned about where we (my father, daughter, and I) are in Connecticut. We may get 5" to 10" (so they say), but we are used to that here. My husband is at our house in Virginia (the metropolitan Washington, DC area) and he said they expect 2 1/2 feet. They are not used to that. It isn't Buffalo!!!

The man who plows our driveway (for we do get some snow there...it isn't the deep south) doesn't know if he can handle over two feet of snow. Or even 2 feet of snow. And we have a very long driveway. And no generator there. I'm sure we'll lose power. It's fairly rural with lots of big trees. Our next door neighbors (who came from Buffalo and Rochester, NY and know how to cope) have a small generator, enough to run their refrigerator and heat one room, and have wood accessible for their fireplace. My husband can go over there if things get too terrible.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far it looks as though North Carolina - at least this far West - [Chapel Hill area] has missed the brunt of the storm and beat the predictions. It has been sprinkling little ice pellets most of the day, but only an accumulation of about an inch or two so far. Everything is closed, the roads are not good, but temps around 40 on Sunday should help.
I am very concerned about what is happening further North.
I'll be thinking of those of you who are in path of the storm. Stay safe!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sitting here wondering what the heck this thing hits between STL and the east coast to have gotten so strong? Because we got like 3 inches here, and it became so massive over there! I am hoping you all keep power or have sources of power. And have lots of food! Keep all devices charged and turn off any extraneous stuff so you maintain it as long as you can!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We've not had snow like that in a long time-we got 24" on Christmas Eve in 2010 and that was the last big dump we've had-now a foot is "a lot". I miss "back in the day" when I was a kid and big snowfalls like that were normal here. I feel your pain tho, those of you in the storms path! Lots of crazy weather this year.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm at the heart of it (my house was in the background on the news today) :lol:

Mostly it's just annoying. People freak out, others try to drive and crash their cars. A bus lost control outside my job today and toppled over. I just wish everyone would get a grip and stay put.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I hope everyone stays safe and warm. :wavey:

Eta - Missy, I hope your cats do okay through the storm. :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Updated news in Connecticut is that instead of a winter storm warning we have a blizzard warning and instead of 4 to 8 inches or 5 to 10 inches we are supposed to get 10 to 15 inches. That still is nothing to write home about. And often what is predicted doesn't materialize.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1453518663|3980042 said:

I should have been watching, in case Oreo was in the window... :love:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1453528755|3980113 said:
Elliot86|1453518663|3980042 said:

I should have been watching, in case Oreo was in the window... :love:

Roe cat! She is absolutely loving the fireplace in all this snow.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a mess outside; at least 12 inches and increasing, with very poor visibility and strong winds.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I missed our area by about 100 miles south...you all stay safe on the east coast!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1453493329|3979828 said:
You guys make me REAL glad I live in Idaho, where we are currently experiencing Global Warming and temperatures as high as the mid 40s this week.

It is funny how it is all relative. A day in the 40s in July would be FREEZING and now I take the dogs for their evening walk in my shirt sleeves cause it seems so balmy. (By the time I get back to the house I am wondering WHAT WAS I THINKING?)

Please be careful all of you who are affected by the storm. I will be thinking good thoughts and sending you all some warm Pricescope dust.

Wink

Oh, Wink. You're such an outdoorsman. You could live on The South Pole. In fact, living in Idaho should be a test for people going on expeditions to The South Pole. That or living in Minnesota. ;))

Deb :wavey:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be safe PSers! I'm watching the news this morning you are certainly getting pounded!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, hope everyone is staying safe and warm this morning and please do check in here if you can to let us know how you are doing.
Here is my local NYC/Jersey shore weather update for those of you who are interested.

Forecasters got it right this time (at least by us) and 15-20 inches expected NYC and at the Jersey Shore. Rate of snowfall might hit 3 inches per hour. No visibility. Blizzard conditions. Worst of the storm has not yet hit us and is supposed to hit us at 11AM and last through this evening until tomorrow morning. State of emergency has been announced.

Worst impact right along the coast. ;(
Hour after hour everything takes a beating at the shore and is getting worse by the hour. Coastal flooding is moderate to severe and unfortunately due to the length of the storm there are 3 high tide cycles to get through. At the beach house the first high tide is happening now. Second high tide much worse (since it will also be much windier by that time) and is happening at 7-8PM and 3rd high tide cycle tomorrow 7:30 AM. Waves right now are up to and past 20 feet with wind gusting over 60 mph.

Since the high tide is occurring with the full moon that makes it much worse and the fact that it is happening 3 times during this storm cycle at the beach so that does add severity to this storm. Similar pairing of high tides with the full moon over 3 cycles happened with Sandy (that is what made Sandy so bad plus the duration of that storm as well) so fingers crossed for everyone in its path at the shore because they are definitely getting it worse there. It is certainly not going to be as bad as Sandy however as much damage could occur to some and loss of life (especially outdoor animals :cry: :cry: :cry: ) could occur.

Tomorrow they are predicting chilly and breezy conditions so not much melting till the middle of the week here.

Storm supposed to get much worse in a few hours but we have a lot of snow on the ground already and winds are picking up with 50 plus mph gusts and 60 plus winds supposed to start in a few hours. White out conditions exist out there and I don't know how the emergency crews are doing it but sending lots of safe dust to all that are helping with the storm. The wind is brutal. All windows at the beach are covered with snow so there will be no pretty pictures for me to share unfortunately. Power is still on at both homes but again it is early in the storm (36 hours duration projected duration) and power outages are expected certainly at the shore.

Cuomo is stating that NYC MTA (trains, buses, bridges, roads) might have to close later so he is warning people to please stay off the roads. Don't go out because you might get stranded.

OK done with my weather update. LOL I am a weather geek no doubt but have always enjoyed watching the weather and seeing the path of storms etc. Just don't love being in its path. :loopy:

Thank you rockinruby and Sarah for your good thoughts and wishes for the feral kitties. Much appreciated!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In southeastern MA here, and no snow yet. I'm prepared for anything but I'm hearing that we will have 6-9 inches. Hope that everyone stays safe.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the thorough report, missy. I love snowstorms, although naturally I never wanted flooding. (Luckily my thoughts have no power and are not responsible for any damage even if I had less than stellar judgment.)

I never thought of snow as an enemy of wildlife, however. The loss of life to outdoor animals makes it a whole other ballgame, akin to a forest fire. I have always just hoped that people had the common sense to stay off the roads and that freak accidents to them were minimal. Now I will be thinking about animals, too.

I still see snow as generally beautiful, unlike hurricanes and tornadoes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are very welcome Deb and yes I agree snow can be so beautiful. Here's two pics for you. One taken just a few minutes ago outside on our balcony in Brooklyn and the other one I got online from a town right next to us down the Jersey Shore.

_36166.jpg

_36167.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
We are waaaaaay south of most of the US, and we're getting the wind that is swooping down and back up to the NE. You know, the circular action. :|

It's ridiculous! :shock:

The gusts are easily 60+ mph in my yard. Trees are bending way low, LARGE branches are falling off, and things that are very heavy are being blown over. And we're just getting the tail end of this.

I think the biggest worry will be the wind that is pushing this storm.

You know- the part of the storm that looks "clear" on the radar. Our radar picture is clear as a bell, because the wind has blown all the clouds and rain away.

So watch out for that, you guys.

Here's NE pics http://www.nydailynews.com/news/east-coast-braces-winter-storm-jonas-gallery-1.2506119

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has been snowing here for a little more than 24 hours now and is expected to end at around 11:00 tonight. The report from 7:30 this morning said my area got 14 inches of snow at that time. 2:00-4:00 is supposed to be another heavy snow period here. We had a possibility of thundersnow last night, but I didn't hear any. We still have power so that is good. DH made meat sauce yesterday, so I'll get started on a soup this afternoon after I shovel the deck a bit.

Missy, I'm so sorry to hear your beach house is in peril again this winter. I hope you fare much better this time than you did with Sandy. I saw Cuomo on CNN a bit ago saying car travel into NCY will be restricted at 2:30, and Metro North and LIRR service is ending at 4:30, so NYC is just ramping up and heading into a long evening. I hope the feral cats make out okay. Best case scenario I'm envisioning them finding a spot that is protected or somewhat protected from the elements and cuddling together for warmth. I would keep my fingers crossed for you and them, but since I have to shovel I will send dust instead.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sick of it to be honest. I'm not a winter lover nor a snow lover so the prospect of it fills me with dread. We were warned of this several days ahead and it has been snowing here over for over 24 hours and we have 12-14 inches. I feel like it has already been a week long ordeal!

So far we have kept our power for which I am immensely grateful and we hope the end will be here for us this evening. The wind has been brutal and the clean up will take lots of time. The worst of it for me is just being stuck - even if I had no plans to go anywhere it's that feeling of being quarantined in your house that drives me crazy!

Best wishes to all members having to deal with this storm. It has been large to be sure and the interruption to daily life has to be a bit irritating to even the most snow loving folks. Stay warm and above all stay safe!!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just called Tiffany in New York, and they are closed. I thought nothing bad could happen at Tiffany! :lol:

I was just curious to see if they'd stay open.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our town gave in and declared a snow emergency as of 4:00 PM Saturday (today). A bus with seven people aboard got into an accident on a main street and one person had to be taken to a hospital. I believe that 20 inches of snow is currently being predicted.

busaccident.jpg

busaccidenta.jpg

busaccidentb.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results