shape
carat
color
clarity

Winter Storm Jonas

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
22,148
PintoBean|1453689955|3980973 said:
Father of family friend passed away today, suddenly. They were having Sunday dinner with the wife's family, when the husband got a call that his father had passed away today. What they believe happened was a massive heart attack brought on by shoveling. They are waiting for the medical examiner's results. Only 62 years old

I am very sorry.
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,589
Thanks guys. Hugs back to everyone! It's one of those things that you hear about happening, know it's a possibility, especially given this snowpocalypse we just had, but don't expect to hit so close to home.
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
Elliot86|1453758746|3981368 said:
Can I get some PS dust. Roof caved in next door to my job. Everyone was evacuated and I am out of work for who knows how long. I'm feeling ridiculous stress and fear right now. Anyway... I'm shoveled out here and home and have a bottle of Madeira. :boohoo:

Lots of dust and good energy coming your way! :appl: :appl: :dance: :appl: :appl: Thank goodness you weren't hurt!
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
marcy|1453657436|3980733 said:
Great pictures and video Missy.

+ 1

Thanks Missy! :appl:

Andelain said:
Dust inbound, and no it didn't come from my cat box! ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,589
Elliot86|1453758746|3981368 said:
Can I get some PS dust. Roof caved in next door to my job. Everyone was evacuated and I am out of work for who knows how long. I'm feeling ridiculous stress and fear right now. Anyway... I'm shoveled out here and home and have a bottle of Madeira. :boohoo:

Waaaahhhhhhh :errrr: :errrr: ? That is flipping scary sh!t! Glad to hear you are safe at home. Lots and lots of dust!
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320
Rockinruby|1453768477|3981441 said:
Elliot86|1453758746|3981368 said:
Can I get some PS dust. Roof caved in next door to my job. Everyone was evacuated and I am out of work for who knows how long. I'm feeling ridiculous stress and fear right now. Anyway... I'm shoveled out here and home and have a bottle of Madeira. :boohoo:

Lots of dust and good energy coming your way! :appl: :appl: :dance: :appl: :appl: Thank goodness you weren't hurt!

Yes glad you are OK and sending dust your way!
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320
Just wanted to update you. Looks like the kitties made it through safely thank goodness. I have not gone through all the security footage but my dh has and said he saw all of them. He went there yesterday and cleared a path to make it easier for them to eat and get water because snow was covering all their food. However my dh said they had dug a space and were eating the food before he got there so YAY for that. I am cautiously optimistic but not getting excited yet since I have yet to see Sammy though my dh said he saw him so I am just remaining cautiously optimistic. I will go through the pics from last night and see who I can see. Here are some of the pics from Sunday night before my dh got there on Monday and you can see some of the kitties.

First up you can see how the snow covered their food supply.
snowcoveringfoodforkitties.jpg

Some of the kitties trying to get through the snow to the food. Sprite and Squirt and Fresca are in these pics but I don't see Sammy. :((

spriteafterblizzard2016.jpg




spriteafterblizzard.jpg



squirtafterblizzard.jpg


squirtinsnow.jpg


frescaorsquirtafterblizzard.jpg
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320
Sammy sighting! Yay! :appl: He definitely is skinnier than before the storm but thank goodness he/she is OK. Last pic from 8:21 AM this morning!

sammyafterblizzard.jpg

sammyaftertheblizzard2016.jpg
 

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 25, 2012
Messages
3,467
Awwwwwwwww!
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320
Elliot86|1453816001|3981659 said:
Awwwwwwwww!

Thanks Elliot.

FYI the contraption their food is in is to keep out the raccoons. I have no issues with helping the other wild animals get food etc but the raccoons were eating all the food and we can only get there once every 2 weeks (or more often as necessary if we have to) to fill the feeders and the raccoons were emptying it in less than 3 days! I bought 3 big thirteen pound gravity feeders to keep all the ferals fed but the raccoons were eating everything. So my dh bought a big dog cage and retrofitted it with 2 openings large enough for the cats but not large enough for the raccoons. So far so good as this has been in place since October and it seems to be working well. A few possums eat in there (fine by me they are not pigs like those raccoons lol) and maybe a small raccoon could fit in but all the cats are getting the food so yay for that. It wasn't easy coming up with something that kept the raccoons from getting it all so glad this is working.
 

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
1,675
I'm in Northwestern Warren County, NJ, and we got about 27" from Jonas. They had forecasted 4-6" for our area, lol. My cars are still half buried in the snow, and because I spent the weekend sick, digging out anything unnecessary was just not in the cards. I'll finish digging out my car eventually. Now there's talk of another potential storm this weekend...ugh.

They are still finding bodies in the snow across the northern part of our state. It's so sad how so many people wound up having heart attacks from the shoveling. One lady was found yesterday by her coat partially sticking out of the snow, and a group of children saw it in her driveway. They knocked on the home to tell the owner there was a coat in the driveway, and when they didn't get an answer at the door, they looked closer, realized she was still in the coat, and called the police. Another lady was afraid to drive in the snow, so she parked her car in a fast food parking lot in Hackensack, and must have either froze to death or had a heart attack. There are stories like this popping up left and right. People don't take incoming storms seriously, head out, and get stuck.
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320
Winks_Elf|1453818276|3981676 said:
I'm in Northwestern Warren County, NJ, and we got about 27" from Jonas. They had forecasted 4-6" for our area, lol. My cars are still half buried in the snow, and because I spent the weekend sick, digging out anything unnecessary was just not in the cards. I'll finish digging out my car eventually. Now there's talk of another potential storm this weekend...ugh.

They are still finding bodies in the snow across the northern part of our state. It's so sad how so many people wound up having heart attacks from the shoveling. One lady was found yesterday by her coat partially sticking out of the snow, and a group of children saw it in her driveway. They knocked on the home to tell the owner there was a coat in the driveway, and when they didn't get an answer at the door, they looked closer, realized she was still in the coat, and called the police. Another lady was afraid to drive in the snow, so she parked her car in a fast food parking lot in Hackensack, and must have either froze to death or had a heart attack. There are stories like this popping up left and right. People don't take incoming storms seriously, head out, and get stuck.

How terrible. A heartbreaking tragedy. :cry:

Melissa, I hope you are feeling better. Could you hire someone to dig your car out? Please be safe. And really hoping we don't get another storm this weekend. Ugh is right. :((
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
Winks_Elf said:
I'm in Northwestern Warren County, NJ, and we got about 27" from Jonas. They had forecasted 4-6" for our area, lol. My cars are still half buried in the snow, and because I spent the weekend sick, digging out anything unnecessary was just not in the cards. I'll finish digging out my car eventually. Now there's talk of another potential storm this weekend...ugh.

They are still finding bodies in the snow across the northern part of our state. It's so sad how so many people wound up having heart attacks from the shoveling. One lady was found yesterday by her coat partially sticking out of the snow, and a group of children saw it in her driveway. They knocked on the home to tell the owner there was a coat in the driveway, and when they didn't get an answer at the door, they looked closer, realized she was still in the coat, and called the police. Another lady was afraid to drive in the snow, so she parked her car in a fast food parking lot in Hackensack, and must have either froze to death or had a heart attack. There are stories like this popping up left and right. People don't take incoming storms seriously, head out, and get stuck.

That's horrible! I feel terrible for the people and their families. :(

I hope you feel better soon! :wavey:
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
missy|1453816654|3981662 said:
Elliot86|1453816001|3981659 said:
Awwwwwwwww!

Thanks Elliot.

FYI the contraption their food is in is to keep out the raccoons. I have no issues with helping the other wild animals get food etc but the raccoons were eating all the food and we can only get there once every 2 weeks (or more often as necessary if we have to) to fill the feeders and the raccoons were emptying it in less than 3 days! I bought 3 big thirteen pound gravity feeders to keep all the ferals fed but the raccoons were eating everything. So my dh bought a big dog cage and retrofitted it with 2 openings large enough for the cats but not large enough for the raccoons. So far so good as this has been in place since October and it seems to be working well. A few possums eat in there (fine by me they are not pigs like those raccoons lol) and maybe a small raccoon could fit in but all the cats are getting the food so yay for that. It wasn't easy coming up with something that kept the raccoons from getting it all so glad this is working.

Missy, I'm so happy to hear that you finally spotted all the kitties! They are beautiful! I loved all the pics. Also, I'm going to show my husband this crate set up your DH came up with. It's quite clever! I would love to have something like this for our two ferals when we go out of town. I hired a pet sitter to come feed them twice a day the last time we left. The little stinkers wouldn't even come near with her there. (Even though I paid her to come a few times prior with me there so they could get used to her!) I only went for two different day trips to nearby towns, but they didn't eat the entire time. It's almost time to trap them and take them in for vet check up again which I'm dreading. They hate it so much. Sigh.....

Thanks for the pictures of the kitties & the crate set up! I really am relieved your ferals made it through the storm. :wavey:

Eta: I forgot to tell you that I did go look at the puppies! I was so entranced that I forgot to even take one single pic! My phone was in my pocket too! They were just darling as all puppies are! :appl: I will be sure to snap a photo if I go back. :Up_to_something:
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
2,606
Elliot, so sorry to hear your job has been affected by the roof collapse next door. Sending loads of return to work dust your way. I hope you're able to get back to work soon.

Missy, I'm so glad to read that all of your feral kitties are accounted for. They are adorable and I'm impressed by Greg's ingenuity.

Winks Elf, wow, you got walloped by an unexpected amount of snow. I hope you are feeling better now and up to handling some dig out. People have been finding bodies in my state as well as two that abut mine. One man's car broke down so he walked I don't know how far. At some point, someone saw him collapse, brought him inside their home unconscious, called 911 for help, and they were not able to revive him. The circumstances in all of the situations are so sad. While of course I feel for the woman in the coat you mentioned and her family, I really feel bad for the kids who found her. I imagine that must be quite traumatizing for anyone, let alone children.

My area is still in clean up mode and the temperatures have allowed for a lot of melting. School in my county and all the nearby ones is cancelled again tomorrow. Parents are going bonkers because the kids have been home for 5 days already, and tomorrow will be 6. The kids, of course, are loving it!
 

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
8,505
missy|1453837637|3981864 said:
Thank you rockinruby! If you or your dh have any questions please do not hesitate to get in contact with me. We would be happy to help in any way we can!

I'm glad you got to visit the puppies! :appl:

Here's a link to the gravity feeders we are using. So far (using them since October) they work really well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YSAG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Missy, You're a sweetheart to care for these kitties.
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
missy|1453837637|3981864 said:
Thank you rockinruby! If you or your dh have any questions please do not hesitate to get in contact with me. We would be happy to help in any way we can!

I'm glad you got to visit the puppies! :appl:

Here's a link to the gravity feeders we are using. So far (using them since October) they work really well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YSAG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Thank you so much! My husband thinks it is a good option for us. I have an unused petsmart gift certificate so may look for a large crate there. I really like the gravity feeders too! This is great info!

The puppies were little darlings! So cute! I got to bottle feed and burp two of them. I think I had seven puppies asleep in my lap at one point. One was actually resting in my hand, but I didn't want to disturb him so my hand was numb! :lol:
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
stracci2000|1453869257|3982187 said:
missy|1453837637|3981864 said:
Thank you rockinruby! If you or your dh have any questions please do not hesitate to get in contact with me. We would be happy to help in any way we can!

I'm glad you got to visit the puppies! :appl:

Here's a link to the gravity feeders we are using. So far (using them since October) they work really well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YSAG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Missy, You're a sweetheart to care for these kitties.

+ 1

They are lucky to have you Missy. :clap:
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320
Rockinruby|1454016896|3983165 said:
stracci2000|1453869257|3982187 said:
missy|1453837637|3981864 said:
Thank you rockinruby! If you or your dh have any questions please do not hesitate to get in contact with me. We would be happy to help in any way we can!

I'm glad you got to visit the puppies! :appl:

Here's a link to the gravity feeders we are using. So far (using them since October) they work really well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YSAG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Missy, You're a sweetheart to care for these kitties.

+ 1

They are lucky to have you Missy. :clap:


Thank you Stracci and Rockinruby. You are both too kind. I want so badly to do more than what we are doing but I know that right now this is the best we can do. As soon as the weather warms up I am going to try getting the animal rescue people I have been in contact with to please try again to trap them so we can get them neutered and vaccinated. I am worried about the ferals getting into a fight with a rabid animal (there have been a few cases of rabies in the area) and contracting rabies. They really need to get vaccinated. The animal rescue people were trying to trap them before the winter set in but unfortunately were not successful. It is challenging as there are at least 5 ferals and once one cat gets trapped the others might just stay away. It's a problem. :(sad



Rockinruby said:
missy|1453837637|3981864 said:
Thank you rockinruby! If you or your dh have any questions please do not hesitate to get in contact with me. We would be happy to help in any way we can!

I'm glad you got to visit the puppies! :appl:

Here's a link to the gravity feeders we are using. So far (using them since October) they work really well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YSAG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Thank you so much! My husband thinks it is a good option for us. I have an unused petsmart gift certificate so may look for a large crate there. I really like the gravity feeders too! This is great info!

The puppies were little darlings! So cute! I got to bottle feed and burp two of them. I think I had seven puppies asleep in my lap at one point. One was actually resting in my hand, but I didn't want to disturb him so my hand was numb! :lol:

OMG how wonderful you got to feed and burp them. I would have been in puppy heaven if I had that opportunity. So glad you got to do that! Please don't hesitate if you need any help with making the dog crate openings dimension wise etc. I know it took my dh a few tries to find the right size opening that would let the cats in but prevented the raccoons from entering. He was able to go back and forth to different sizes to find just the right one. To that end we also have security cameras on the feeding stations so we can monitor what is happening since we don't live there full time especially during the winter. This way we know exactly who is eating and who is not.
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top