shape
carat
color
clarity

Wink Jone’s Project/ Need your Input/Another Great Richard Homer Purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hello again everyone!

35.gif
Well, as everyone here knows I was hit with the concave faceting “Bug”
3.gif
years ago and have another iron in the fire for a gift for Regina. I will start my longwinded purchase experience working with Richard and on to Wink Jones!

Garnet is Regina’s birthstone, so I wanted to get her something special in a pendant. Rhodolite Garnet is gorgeous when you get excellent material. I like a lot of the material coming out of Tanzania. At the time I contacted Richard he did not have any Rhodolite Garnets cut. I was amazed that Richard said he would dip into his “private stash”

6.gif
and cut a couple stones for me. The first and final email is attached below: I want to give everyone an idea of how accommodating some vendor’s and professionals are.

Hi Josh! (1st Email-Friday)

I do have some very nice Rhodolite rough. I do not know what jolly rancher red looks like, but given the range of colors you showed me in your jpgs, I will search out the finest piece of my secret stash.
Any preference for shape or size?
Thanks,
Richard

Here’s #2-(Received Sunday 2 days later after my initial request)

Hi Josh!

I went through my secret stash of rough and cut a couple gems that I think will interest you.

I selected my best piece of Rhodolite and concave faceted it in an oval shape with concave facets on the crown...not exactly like one of the three designs you had emailed me earlier, but, very close. Unfortunately, one cannot force a predetermined design on a piece of rough but rather the rough lets you know what you can do with it....there is a kind of symbiosis between cutter and his goals and the rough with what it seems to have a mind of its own to allow. Sounds weird, eh?

Anyway, the Rhodolite I chose was my "best of both worlds" kind of piece. The larger you get in size, the darker the gem gets...unavoidably; yet I understand your interest in the brilliance and saturation of color, so I chose a piece in as large a size that would still allow me superior brilliance and color. The color of this gem is decidedly pinkish purple not the purplish red of raspberry Rhodolite. Rhodolite is a deeply colored material, darker than Tourmaline so I cannot get a Garnet to look like the color of a Tourmaline........but I think you will find this Rhodolite as lively and saturate as anything you have ever seen. So I think you will like both the size and the quality of color/brilliance....being as large as it can be to get what we want.

The second gem I cut was another Spessartite. I looked to see if I had any more Paprika Spessartite in a large size but I did not. Nonetheless, I had a select piece of Spessartite that again has one of those unique orange colors. This one is more vibrant and brilliant than the oval shown to you previously...but the shape of the rough demanded a trillian shape. The color is one that I thought you might like because it is more like the Paprika colored gem you saw on my website only lighter in tone and much brighter. It is not a Paprika color but it is not a Mandarin color either. Let me know which you would like?

Thanks,
Richard

I attached a picture below of the gems Richard had cut from rough in 2 days after my initial inquiry. I ended up ultimately with the Oval Rhodolite. Wink now has this Rhodolite and his story will posted down from this one. This is the kind of service in which I believe people should look for when shopping for gems. This was lengthy, but I wanted to share how accommodating Richard Homer at www.concavegems.com was.

37.gif

ON to WINK……

gemscool.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Because I wanted a pendant, I really liked the work of Mr. Bei Van Tiet that Wink has showcased in the past and had other clients on the forum retain his service’s for Bei’s pieces. I emailed Wink Jone's at www.winkjones.com and he let me know that Bei was retired now, but he would stop by and ask him if he would be willing to do another piece.

Wink emailed me a couple days later and informed me he had stopped by Bei’s house and talked with him and he would do the pendant so have Richard send the stone his way.

36.gif
The next day I spoke with Wink on the phone to discuss details of the pendant, since it would be accommodating the oval rhodolite garnet. I told Wink I wanted the same basic style of the Garnet pendant Bei did for the Botanical Garden fundraiser, minus the diamonds and in white gold.

Wink informed me he thinks White Gold with the floral accents in yellow gold would be better because the yellow gold would accent and make the flowers stand out more, rather than just white gold. Wink had the specifics and is now setting up the whole process though Bei.

I attached some previous work of Bei’s to give everyone an idea of the detail of his pieces. These pieces are very delicate and elegant looking. Wink has been a gentleman to deal with so far and we spoke on the phone for about 20 minutes. Seems like a mild mannered, soft-spoken guy with a Big Heart and a knack for story telling (Great Grandfather Material). Wink’s been great and expect my feelings at the outcome to be the same as the inception of this project.
9.gif

Beisworkwink.JPG

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would like everyone’s input on a chain for this pendant.
34.gif

Wink told me to look around a little and thought if anyone reading this thread would look it would be neat to include this input in the process of this project. The pendant will be two-tone white gold with yellow gold flowers. Let’s see what we can come up with. Wink thought an OMEGA type style chain in White Gold. I think something either sleek or something dainty and elegant to contrast or match the style of the work put into the pendant.
Thanks for the Help in advance everyone…!
26.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One vote for dainty.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/12/2006 3:20:33 PM
Author: JulieN
One vote for dainty.
Thanks Julie..If anyone wanted to look online and copy and paste some photo''s and description to get a visual idea would be great too...
35.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say thin link chain, but it's a pretty substantial pendant. Box would not work.

But something kind of open to match the floral motif and cutouts.

Kinda like http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=4875&catid=18&filter_id=0&nav1=necklace_channel.asp&page=1&col=1&row=1&pos=1&set_shape=

I like this, too, but 2.5 sounds a little thick? http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=3442&catid=18&filter_id=0&nav1=necklace_channel.asp&page=1&col=1&row=7&pos=13&set_shape=

I'm also thinking twisted rope matches the motif.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
OMG OMG OMG !!! PICK ME UP OFF THE FLOOR!!!

LOOK AT THAT SPESS!!!!

I FEEL FAINT!!

Woooozzyyy...

drooling....

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
both are beautiful stones..
maybe my next should be concave... would you believe I have never seen one in person??
do they sparkle like faceted ones??

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2006 9:36:45 PM
Author: Sophie

maybe my next should be concave... would you believe I have never seen one in person??

MORE I think sometimes..

I know that a lot of people her have unfaceted beautys and get compliment... but I know that I get a lot of "LONG RANGE" compliments.

I was on television this week fighting agianst dome developers and someone came up to me after a speech I made at the City Council meeting and said.. "I saw your ring sparkling up there and I just had to see what it was!!"

I was flattered (hee hee)

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/12/2006 9:27:34 PM
Author: MINE!!

LOOK AT THAT SPESS!!!!

I FEEL FAINT!!

Woooozzyyy...

drooling....
Ok Mine..

First..I like your Round Concave-Faceted spess in your ring and (2) I was just talking with WINK the other day and relayed to him for the people that like this style faceting...There should be a 12 Step Outreach program for those with the SEVERE bug...
9.gif
..I think you would make the perfect poster Child.
21.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2006 9:49:42 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut

LOOK AT THAT SPESS!!!!

I FEEL FAINT!!

Woooozzyyy...

drooling....
Ok Mine..

First..I like your Round Concave-Faceted spess in your ring and (2) I was just talking with WINK the other day and relayed to him for the people that like this style faceting...There should be a 12 Step Outreach program for those with the SEVERE bug...
9.gif
21.gif

LOL... I think that you are right!! I am not sure that a 12 step program would do me any good though... maybe somewhere in the 50 step program ...LOL...

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/12/2006 9:36:45 PM
Author: Sophie
No Pressure in looking Sophie...

I would urge you to check them out. I believe these gems especially in lighter gem material are 100% more brilliant than some gems which are traditionally flat faceted. They sparkle Much more than traditionally faceted gems!
26.gif

Wink Jones or Richard Homer would be the individuals to contact. If you think in the future you would like to get a concave faceted stone made into a piece of jewelry, you could kill 2 Birds with One stone going through Wink.
37.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok Gang...
3.gif

Well I have a photo of a couple different styles I have been looking at. I am still leaning towards the Domed Omega 3-4 mm versus other chains because it seems to maintain it''s shape around the neck rather than a pendant weighing the chain down to hang lower on the chest. In the photo I took a bad stab at resizing a different pendant by Bei with the same "Look" to see how it might look transposed onto an existing Omega Picture. Sorry for the person''s neck I slaughtered...
15.gif
I only have Microsoft paint to work with and it has limited capabilities with editing..

I need women''s input on this and I know we are not short of Women''s input on the PS Forum
2.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ooops..Here''s the Pictures
21.gif
What do you guys think of a two-toned braded snake chain..Not as simple as the Omega but it incorporates both mediums of 18K White and Yellow gold which is what the Pendant will be made from?

neckl1wswaqace.JPG

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here''s a couple more and after looking at them I don''t know why I thought they might look good with the floral motife style pendant?
14.gif

wheatchain18k.jpg

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I love that stone!! What a great gift! I would go with the second chain down for the pendant!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE that rhodolite garnet!!!!!!!!!!!! And the spessartite isn''t too shabby either. I don''t think the omega works with the pendant because it looks too contemporary for it. The pendant has a bit more of an antiquey feel- to me anyway. I''m not sure I''m wild about the two tone snake chain either because it seems to take away from the pendant. Hmm, not much help am I? Wow, I can''t wait to see the finished piece. Will you adopt me? LOL.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
ooooooh I am loving all these concave cut gems!!!

I have to agree w/Cind - none of the options (omega, snake) really speak to me, in terms of matching the floral motif - the floral motif makes it feel much more antique to me, but I don''t know what an antique chain would look like though...

man I am not any help either!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It needs to be a more delicate chain to go with the floral motif. I am envious...it'll be very special to have a pendant by this gentleman. The stone is beautiful!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hlmr: Thanks for your input on the 2nd chain down..(That''s the OMEGA)

Cind11:Thanks for your input on the Omega, I am looking at more antique style chains, but still think the omega might not look bad. A thinner 3-4mm might not clash with the setting...
20.gif

Flopkins: Thanks for the Input....
10.gif

Diamondseeker2006: I will be looking at more Delicate chains on-line to see what I can find? Thanks for your input on the pendant..I am excited to see the finished product!
36.gif

I wish there was a chain in the similiar style of the pendant with the flowers?....
40.gif

Thanks for the help so far everyone..I figure if there are many people helping look, it will be easier than just one set of eye''s.

CaraMish

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/12/2006 9:51:57 PM

Date: 8/12/2006 9:49:42 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut

LOOK AT THAT SPESS!!!!

I FEEL FAINT!!

Woooozzyyy...

drooling....
Ok Mine..

9.gif
21.gif

LOL... I think that you are right!! I am not sure that a 12 step program would do me any good though... maybe somewhere in the 50 step program ...LOL...

But, you have to WANT to change for a 50-step program to be effective...
emwink.gif

CaraMish

Shiny_Rock
The finished pendant is truly going to be extraordinary
30.gif
...You''ve chosen some wonderful folks to work with
36.gif

And that spessartite trillion is haunting me!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I have a "little something" en train from Mr. Homer...
31.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2006 6:31:39 PM
Author: CaraMish
The finished pendant is truly going to be extraordinary
30.gif
...You''ve chosen some wonderful folks to work with
36.gif

And that spessartite trillion is haunting me!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I have a ''little something'' en train from Mr. Homer...
31.gif
Thanks CaraMish..It was a really hard decision between the 2. I ended up going with the Rhodolite because Regina is not such a big fan of orange...
15.gif

Can''t wait to see what you have "en train" from Richard Homer..
6.gif

What does everyone think of an antique style gold rope chain with this pendant?
34.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I think an antique style rope chain might work nicely. I have an antique pendant that I do wear with a rope and I think it looks good. That may be your best alternative.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2006 12:12:35 PM
Author: Cind11
I think an antique style rope chain might work nicely. I have an antique pendant that I do wear with a rope and I think it looks good. That may be your best alternative.
Thanks Cind11-I will keep looking...
35.gif

CaraMish

Shiny_Rock
An antique rope chain would be lovely!!!!
36.gif
30.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think the omega is too modern for the natural/botanical look of the pendant. i agree with the others, perhaps an antique rope chain would compliment the style better.

what fun! i can''t wait to see how it all turns out.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Oh my...chain?? What chain?? Excuse me while I try to stop drooling.

Anyway, this is my personal pref, but I like the look of a thin gold chain--just plain, thin, gold links--with a pendant like that. I''m not a big fan of rope chains and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results