carat
color
clarity

Wine/Alcohol

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Haven said:
Effen Black.
Manischewitz Blackberry wine. Chilled. I wish I were kidding.

I love Effen Black.
I also wish you were kidding about the Manischewitz. :tongue:

I love port...and anything in the Kaluha family. I realize that's not wine, but if any of you have extra while you are downing your wine, I'm happy to take it off your hands.

Or the port. We're enjoying Cockburn 2000 right now.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I only drink at occasionally. But, I do love Cakebread. I live in the south, and it is hard to find here. I sometimes call around for a while before I locate any.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I like dry whites, Chardonnays mostly. And oddly enough ice or late harvest white wines, the super sweet ones. The good ones taste like liquid flowers.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
I like anything with alcohol... :twirl:
Ok, not really. But red/white wine...hey, as long as it hasn't turned, I'm game. I guess I prefer bolder flavors, spicy red wines. Or a nice dry champagne.
As for the hard stuff...gimme an extra dirty martini any day of the week! Yuuuuum!
And I'm disappointed TG didn't mention our love affair with Fat Tire...my favorite beer. They still don't sell it in my state, so I have to cross borders for it. But I like it :) and Framboise or Pyramid Apricot ale...always reminds me of the night I got engaged bc I had a bottle with dinner.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Haven said:
Manischewitz Blackberry wine. Chilled. I wish I were kidding.

We always, always, always have a bottle of Concord Grape Manischewitz chilled. And by we, I completely mean me. I would drink it every night if it were less calories. I also wish I were kidding.

My favorite everyday wine right now is MacMurry Pinot Noir. I love mild red wines. I also generally love proseccos.

DH is a home brewer, so we also always have beers around, too. I love malty-but-not-hoppy beer: schwarzbiers, browns, some porters. Oh, and wit beers.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When it's a red wine, a cab or a really GOOD merlot.

Rums - Mt Gay hands down. Followed by Black Seal. But Mt Gay our liquor cabinet would never be without.

We use tequila for deglazing when making vegetable soup - just about 2 shots. Try it in a tomato-based soup. It's pretty amazing.

Husband likes Oban, I'm learning to like Dalwhinnie.

And I adore Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Port.

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock
Going through this thread, I found myself ditto-ing everybody's posts. I realized, it's way easier for me to list the drinks that I don't like, so here it goes:

Tequila
Grappa
Most, but not all, white wines
Super hoppy beer

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I love beer, especially local microbrews. My faves are stouts and porters.

Next in line comes pinot noir.

After that, gin!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm a white wine girl all the way. I like sweeter wines (I can talk as if I'm a sophisticated wine lover but my taste buds will betray me every time ;-) like Rieslings and Gewurtztraminers. I also like Viogniers and Sauvignon Blancs. Can't stand Chardonnay, unless it's a really good one that isn't very oaky.

I also like some dryer rose wines (my favorite restaurant in Madrid, Albur, had the best house rose), and I love sparkling wines as well.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
i like white wine that's on the sweeter side like Rieslings. there's a local winery here in MD that makes fruit wines, and their raspberry one is to die for! i'm not a wine connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination, and i'll freely admit that i've enjoyed boxed chillable red wine many of times. :praise:

as far as liquor goes, i love vodka and gin. during the summertime, i like Firefly (a sweet tea flavored vodka) mixed with lemonade for a spiked Arnold Palmer. i also love various liqueurs and cordials to satisfy my sweet tooth. if i'm going for a savory drink, a filthy dirty martini or a spicy bloody mary (with Old Bay on the rim - it's a MD thing) are my favorites.

as for beer, i like Newcastle, Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, and Hornsby's Hard Cider.

i'm very thirsty all of a sudden...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember said:
Elrohwen said:
Autumnovember said:
Clairitek said:
Autumnovember said:
Travel Goddess said:
I definitely prefer a white over red.

My faves are Rombaur and Cakebread Chardonnay. I dislike sweet whites and really love an oaky/buttery chard. Unfortunately, those two brands I listed run in the $30/$40 range so I usually buy cheapo brands like Sutter Home to fill the wine fridge with when I'm the only one drinking.

If I drink a red, I like a Pinot Noir like Cloudline or Castle Rock Reserve.

My dad is a wine collector and he has bottles saved from the years my sisters and I were born. So for my big life events (college graduation, engagement, wedding, etc) he'll crack open a bottle from 1982. I think that's really special.

Otherwise. I'm a beer girl and I usually stick to Corona.

Yep! The Cakebread Chardonnay is what we had! I liked it a lot for a red wine. 30/40 for the bottle? The restaurant we were at charged us 135$ for the bottle. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Chardonnay is a white wine. Perhaps you had a Carbernet Sauvignon? That would be good with a steak.

yes yes you're right. I clearly don't know my red wines. It was the cab. Oaky/buttery taste.

TravelGoddess meant that the Cakebread Chardonnay was oaky and buttery - I wouldn't really describe a Cab as either (well, perhaps oaky, but not really for that particular cab).

But it said it on the bottle ;( It said "leather taste with a hint of oak"

P.s. me and SO never heard of leather being used in a description of wine but it was interesting anyway

A hint of oak I can understand, i was just explaining that "oaky and buttery" is the description of a chardonnay, not a cab. Many cabs are aged in oak and will have some oak flavor, but not nearly as much as a chardonnay. Just trying to share some wine vocab :bigsmile:

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a white wine lover! I love dryer, citrusy whites especially Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigios. I also tend to favor Australian/South American Wines over European.

I dislike most reds (don't like anything really full bodied and tanniny). I do occasionally drink Pinot Noir though, mostly as a compromise when hanging out with red-loving friends like Clairitek :wavey: .

AN (or any other Philly natives), DH and I had a great time taking a class at the Philly Wine School (www.vinology.com).

JerseyTransplant83

Rough_Rock
kittybean said:
Like Zoe, I'm not much of a drinker, and I don't drink red wine at all. When I do drink, I like champagne (Veuve Cliquot is my favorite) or sweeter whites, like Riesling or Gewurztraminer. I'll also drink any mixed drink in which the alcohol is sufficiently disguised so that I can't really taste it--this precludes the majority of mixed drinks, unfortunately.

Ditto to every single thing you just said!

When it comes to beer, I love all of the Blue Moon seasonal varieties, as well as Shock Top with a nice slice of orange in it!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
stephb0lt said:
I'm a white wine lover! I love dryer, citrusy whites especially Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigios. I also tend to favor Australian/South American Wines over European.

I dislike most reds (don't like anything really full bodied and tanniny). I do occasionally drink Pinot Noir though, mostly as a compromise when hanging out with red-loving friends like Clairitek :wavey: .

AN (or any other Philly natives), DH and I had a great time taking a class at the Philly Wine School (www.vinology.com).

Steph! That sounds really interesting!!! Thank you!!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Depends on my mood and season in the summer I love dry riesling or gewurztraminer. I also love champagne and sparkling wines. For reds lately I've been into Zins, and for hard alcohol I love Bailey's - I'll drink it on the rocks, in a blended drink, coffee or any which way, I especially love the flavors (mint chocolate, caramel and coffee.) I also love a good mojito, margarita or sangria....ohh and anything involving banana. Clearly I like a lot of stuff! :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results