shape
carat
color
clarity

Wine/Alcohol

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
What is your favorite kind of wine?

I personally love Riesling (Polka Dot...its cheap and tastes great). Yummy. Next on the list would be Pinot Grigio, no particular brand. I am not a big fan of red wine but on Friday fiance and I had Cakebread with our steak :lickout: I really liked that a lot.

Besides that, I love tequila (Patron Gold).

And yourselves?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm a vodka girl, through and through. Seriously, when I went to my first party in grad. school, somebody asked me what I'd be having, and I said "vodka," and they said "what do you want to mix it with?" and I just sort of ... stared. We're Russian, and the concept of "mixers" had never occurred to me: at home, we just call it "dinner."

Love Kettle One first and foremost, and after that (of all things) Svedka.

Also a big fan of tequila, btw: if you've a liking for sweet things, have you ever tried Tequila Rose?

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely prefer a white over red.

My faves are Rombaur and Cakebread Chardonnay. I dislike sweet whites and really love an oaky/buttery chard. Unfortunately, those two brands I listed run in the $30/$40 range so I usually buy cheapo brands like Sutter Home to fill the wine fridge with when I'm the only one drinking.

If I drink a red, I like a Pinot Noir like Cloudline or Castle Rock Reserve.

My dad is a wine collector and he has bottles saved from the years my sisters and I were born. So for my big life events (college graduation, engagement, wedding, etc) he'll crack open a bottle from 1982. I think that's really special.

Otherwise. I'm a beer girl and I usually stick to Corona.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Effen Black.
Manischewitz Blackberry wine. Chilled. I wish I were kidding.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Circe said:
I'm a vodka girl, through and through. Seriously, when I went to my first party in grad. school, somebody asked me what I'd be having, and I said "vodka," and they said "what do you want to mix it with?" and I just sort of ... stared. We're Russian, and the concept of "mixers" had never occurred to me: at home, we just call it "dinner."

Love Kettle One first and foremost, and after that (of all things) Svedka.

Also a big fan of tequila, btw: if you've a liking for sweet things, have you ever tried Tequila Rose?

I like Vodka too :) I'm also a Ruski like you! Ketel one all the way!

I've never tried Tequila Rose...I'm gonna give that a try!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Travel Goddess said:

My faves are Rombaur and Cakebread Chardonnay. I dislike sweet whites and really love an oaky/buttery chard. Unfortunately, those two brands I listed run in the $30/$40 range so I usually buy cheapo brands like Sutter Home to fill the wine fridge with when I'm the only one drinking.

My dad is a wine collector and he has bottles saved from the years my sisters and I were born. So for my big life events (college graduation, engagement, wedding, etc) he'll crack open a bottle from 1982. I think that's really special.

Yep! The Cakebread Chardonnay is what we had! I liked it a lot for a red wine. 30/40 for the bottle? The restaurant we were at charged us 135$ for the bottle. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Probably Spanish or wines from Southern France (Rhone region) - both the reds and the whites (though especially the reds) from those regions are my favorites. They're typically blends, but often contain tempranillo and granacha (Spain) and syrah, grenache, mourvedre, and carignan (Rhone). Grenache is common between both and I really enjoy that grape (though it's fairly rare to find it by itself). These wines tend to be medium bodied (heavier than Pinot, but lighter than Cab). They're fruit-forward, but usually have enough earthiness and tannins to balance them out. Spanish wines are also great for finding a good deal, which I like.

For other red wines, I enjoy pinots and zinfandel.

For whites I really enjoy viognier (from southern France), riesling, and sauvignon blanc.

I love beer.

Hate hard alcohol unless it's tequila - I have no idea why, but that's the only thing that doesn't taste icky to me :knockout:

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Never actually look at what I drank and I have bad taste buds, can't even differentiate between different types of alcohol. Obvious difference only, like between beer, wine and spirits.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I rarely drink but I'll occasionally have a glass of white wine (very occasionally, like maybe a few times a year). I do love champagne, so if I was going to drink regularly, that would probably be my drink of choice. I don't like red wine at all.

In college, I drank much more than I do now, and my roommates and I stuck with red zinfandel. Or Kahlua. I love Kahlua and milk...yum! Or beer (Bud Light in college, Corona Light now, with a lime).

I've never done shots or had straight hard alcohol.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember said:
Travel Goddess said:

Yep! The Cakebread Chardonnay is what we had! I liked it a lot for a red wine. 30/40 for the bottle? The restaurant we were at charged us 135$ for the bottle. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Chardonnay is a white wine. Perhaps you had a Carbernet Sauvignon? That would be good with a steak.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red wine...mostly merlot or cabernet. Vendange Merlot is my house wine. Cheap and good. Hubby prefers Yellowtail.
I like cheap American beer too...Miller light. Hubby likes expensive imports or microbrewery.

Not much for the hard stuff unless its in a foo foo drink (yum!)

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I really, really love wine. Part of the reason I applied for the job I am starting on Monday was the location in the SF Bay Area. I cannot wait to get out to the vineyards!

I tend towards a more full bodied red like Cabernet Sauvignon. If I am going to drive a white wine its typically a Chardonnay that has gone through the malolactic fermentation process so it has that creamy feeling to it. I don't enjoy the lactic acid in Chardonnay that gives it the green apple taste. I only just learned that its the secondary fermentation that makes a Chardonnay likeable to me.

I love CA Central Coast pinot noir. I have a love/hate relationship with zinfandel. I went through a kick of drinking only European style blends from Italy, Spain/Portugal, and France but now I am back on the single varietal thing.

When it comes to hard alcohol I'm with Elrohwen- I enjoy tequila-based drinks. Though I also love Key Lie Pie martinies and White Russians.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mostly wine, dh will drink beer when he is out or a beer in the evening unless I open a bottle of wine, I will drink tequila also, does not have after effects for me even if I over imbide :oops: . We live in a area of multi vineyards and have not bought a bottle of wine from anyplace else for at least 5 years except a german ice wine a while ago. We both prefer white and we love fruit wines, one of the places close to us makes a cranberry wine and a rhubarb that is awesome!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
My number one drink is Captain Morgan Spiced Gold Rum. It's the drink of champions.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a Chardonnay girl all the way ::) I do like hard booze as well, whiskey is my drink of choice :twisted:

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Like Zoe, I'm not much of a drinker, and I don't drink red wine at all. When I do drink, I like champagne (Veuve Cliquot is my favorite) or sweeter whites, like Riesling or Gewurztraminer. I'll also drink any mixed drink in which the alcohol is sufficiently disguised so that I can't really taste it--this precludes the majority of mixed drinks, unfortunately.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To get in the proper frame of mind to answer, I had to open a 6 yr old bottle of Claret. I like dry white wines and most red wines. Used to be exclusively a white wine drinker until my first trip to Italy when I discovered what I had been missing. Luckily for me, I live in an area where wineries have become the upcoming industry so I get to experiment a lot. There's an excellent winery 3 blocks from my house. I suffer so :naughty:

Tequila and vodka are my hard liquors.

Beer, delicious microbrews, are big here too. I had a dark chocolate (made with REAL chocolate) stout the other day that blew me away.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
I stick to the 'black' wines of Cahors (SW France) for the (relatively) high quotient of poly-phenols and revesterol present. The cooler, damper conditions there make for these features -- but the juice is super heavy and usually highly tannic to make for a balance in benefits :) When drinking purely for pleasure Champagne is as far as I'll go. My DH is thrilled with this hehe.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
If I'm just opening a bottle to drink in the evening, I'm a big fan of Rieslings. I love moscato, too, for dessert. When it's warm I enjoy a nice chilled savignon blanc...perfect when eating al fresco. Red wines have been giving me headaches lately, but I recently had an amazing Robledo cabernet savignon (with rack of lamb...yum). If you're in Sonoma, I highly recommend it.

Champagne and St-Germain is my absolute favorite.

I used to drink a lot of mixed drinks, but lately I've been staying away (trying to lose weight). I'm happy to sip a vanilla vodka and diet, though. Or a mojito. I can't drink tequila anymore (definitely too many tequila shots back in the days I thought I was hot stuff).

And no beer, ever. Blech. Actually, that's a lie. There are a few pictures of me holding a beer, but I don't remember them being taken...

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek said:
Autumnovember said:
Travel Goddess said:

Chardonnay is a white wine. Perhaps you had a Carbernet Sauvignon? That would be good with a steak.

yes yes you're right. I clearly don't know my red wines. It was the cab. Oaky/buttery taste.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember said:
Clairitek said:
Autumnovember said:
Travel Goddess said:

yes yes you're right. I clearly don't know my red wines. It was the cab. Oaky/buttery taste.

TravelGoddess meant that the Cakebread Chardonnay was oaky and buttery - I wouldn't really describe a Cab as either (well, perhaps oaky, but not really for that particular cab).

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek said:
I tend towards a more full bodied red like Cabernet Sauvignon. If I am going to drive a white wine its typically a Chardonnay that has gone through the malolactic fermentation process so it has that creamy feeling to it. I don't enjoy the lactic acid in Chardonnay that gives it the green apple taste. I only just learned that its the secondary fermentation that makes a Chardonnay likeable to me.

So funny Ctek, we have almost opposite tastes! I've learned I'm really not a fan of malolactic fermentation at all, and in general don't drink chards unless they're lightly processed and unoaked (strangely I enjoy a lightly oaked sauvignon blanc though, just not chard). I much prefer the green apple-tasting whites with a lot of acid. We should've had a wine tasting party before you went away! I love trying other people's favorites that I know will be different from mine (even if I don't end up loving them, I can always appreciate a good bottle :bigsmile: )

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
kittybean said:
Like Zoe, I'm not much of a drinker, and I don't drink red wine at all. When I do drink, I like champagne (Veuve Cliquot is my favorite) or sweeter whites, like Riesling or Gewurztraminer. I'll also drink any mixed drink in which the alcohol is sufficiently disguised so that I can't really taste it--this precludes the majority of mixed drinks, unfortunately.

This is me to a T. Like Zoe and Kittybean, I'm not a red wine drinker. I do like champagne and reislings. I will have a mixed drink if it tastes like juice.

I've joked for a long time that I'm determined to develop a palette for alcohol and I do feel like I've made some progress. I've recently devloped a taste for beer--though that taste seems to be limited to porters. D and I also tried a few types of scotch while in scotland this month and while they burned a bit much going down, I did enjoy the after taste. Apparently I like for my beer and hard liquor to taste roasted and/or have been stored in an oak barrel for at least a decade.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen said:
Autumnovember said:
Clairitek said:
Autumnovember said:
Travel Goddess said:

TravelGoddess meant that the Cakebread Chardonnay was oaky and buttery - I wouldn't really describe a Cab as either (well, perhaps oaky, but not really for that particular cab).

But it said it on the bottle ;( It said "leather taste with a hint of oak"

P.s. me and SO never heard of leather being used in a description of wine but it was interesting anyway

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cognac !!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grappa! I forgot Grappa. Not the highly refined variety but the stuff that tastes like turpentine, burns like habaneros, makes your entire head go numb.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I have a weirdo habit of taking pictures of nicely presented food at restaurants and also bottles of wine I like:

At Capital Grille:

mail.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like obnoxious wines - the bigger, bolder, and more lasting the taste, the better. Pretty much always translates into expensive reds and cheap whites ::) I sometimes treat myself to a glass of a malbec before bed :))

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
I love most wines, but my favorites are Chardonnay and Cabernet. My go-to bottle is the Rombauer Chardonnay and when I'm feeling particularly generous, I'll get a bottle of the Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon (estate only, please). Delicious!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I love wine! If it's a special ocassion I drink Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio. If I'm drinking white I typically drink pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc... For red I like pinot noir, cabernet, or shiraz. I always, always, always hate sweet wines and chardonnay.

Though, my favorite thing to drink is probably Prosecco.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results