shape
carat
color
clarity

window or no window?

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Still learning and wondering if that's what you're talking about at the bottom of this stone?

Thanks!

window maybe.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FallenRox|1305569916|2923198 said:
Still learning and wondering if that's what you're talking about at the bottom of this stone?

Thanks!

That appears to be a small window, and it would most definitely "close up" (give the illusion of no window) in a setting. Some windows are much more apparent when unset. Are you now looking for a very pure grey spinel, with no secondary colors?

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
TL|1305572036|2923230 said:

Thanks!

That appears to be a small window, and it would most definitely "close up" (give the illusion of no window) in a setting. Some windows are much more apparent when unset. Are you now looking for a very pure grey spinel, with no secondary colors?

Ahh good. Thank you for that. I bought it, so It will be good to see that one in my hand too. It's around 5 carats.

As to what I'm looking for? I know what I see in my head, but having not held and looked at these stones I'm not sure how to explain it. Soooo I bought 7 stones and am waiting for their arrival to see them and have a better understanding of how they look irl, not on a screen. After that, I'll go after the ~real~ thing and a great cut. I have a love for the grey to black color range but have discovered that opaque is not ok for me. I want some sparkley bling factor, most definitely.

One stone I bought says translucent black- so I'm guessing it's a super deep purple/black, but it's hard to tell on the pic.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FallenRox|1305573039|2923244 said:
TL|1305572036|2923230 said:

Thanks!

Ahh good. Thank you for that. I bought it, so It will be good to see that one in my hand too. It's around 5 carats.

As to what I'm looking for? I know what I see in my head, but having not held and looked at these stones I'm not sure how to explain it. Soooo I bought 7 stones and am waiting for their arrival to see them and have a better understanding of how they look irl, not on a screen. After that, I'll go after the ~real~ thing and a great cut. I have a love for the grey to black color range but have discovered that opaque is not ok for me. I want some sparkley bling factor, most definitely.

One stone I bought says translucent black- so I'm guessing it's a super deep purple/black, but it's hard to tell on the pic.

$7 for a five carat stone is very good, and if I were you, I would have Jerry recut it. Don't wait on gettnig a grey gem from a lapidary because they'll be using the same material, but charge a huge premium for their cutting. Jerry is very reasonable. Grey is grey, it's not like there's one grey better than another. Grey only changes by tone, not by saturation. For example, there is no such thing as a highly saturated grey (or brown for that matter) gem. If it's clean, that makes it a bonus, and it appears to be. You'll be surprised how fine cutting can transform a gem.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1305573600|2923261 said:
$7 for a five carat stone is very good, and if I were you, I would have Jerry recut it. Don't wait on gettnig a grey gem from a lapidary because they'll be using the same material, but charge a huge premium for their cutting. Jerry is very reasonable. Grey is grey, it's not like there's one grey better than another. Grey only changes by tone, not by saturation. For example, there is no such thing as a highly saturated grey (or brown for that matter) gem. If it's clean, that makes it a bonus, and it appears to be. You'll be surprised how fine cutting can transform a gem.

At the risk of being both off topic and dumb, TL, can you explain the bolded part?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Novel|1305574061|2923271 said:

At the risk of being both off topic and dumb, TL, can you explain the bolded part?

Hues are the colors of the stones, like orange, red, green, blue, violet, and sometimes they have secondary hues, like yellowish green, purplish red, etc. . . .

Hues change in saturation (the intensity of the hue) and by tone (the lightness or darkness of a gem).

If you take all color (hue) away, you basically end up with tone. At the top of the tone scale, there is colorless (or what is sometimes called "white") all the way down to black. In between colorless and black, there are various shades (tones) of grey. Picture looking at a color television vs a black and white one. If you are looking at the same scene on both televisions, you will see color on one in various hues, and tones. If you take away all color (hue) and watch the black and white television, all you will see is tone (various shades of grey). Brown is also not considered a hue. The more grey or brown a stone has, the less saturated it becomes, and vice versa.

Hope that helps.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I didn't realize that brown and gray weren't considered hues. Super helpful. Sorry for the tangent, FallenRox!

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Novel|1305576765|2923310 said:
Thanks! I didn't realize that brown and gray weren't considered hues. Super helpful. Sorry for the tangent, FallenRox!

No apology necessary, we all need to learn. :)

I did know that by just working in photoshop for digital art pieces, but it's good to share the knowledge for anyone who might be reading.

I might have twisted that up there a bit unintentionally. The $7.00 stone was the second link I posted. I paid $70 for the 5+ Carat one, but I still don't feel like that's bad. And I am excited to work with Jerry. He will be the one to cut my stone. I haven't heard back from Dana on what he has in stock or had any follow up really after two exchanges. Nice guy, but yes, I feel more comfortable going to Jerry after having spoken to him several times.

Another question- I looked for a chart/link something that would show the depths of average cuts of all square/rectangle stones and didn't come up with anything useful. I know the ideal depth for an 8mm asscher from talking to Jerry, but what about an emerald cut or princess? Any insight there would be helpful as I'll likely need to have more than one stone cut for a couple different settings aside from my Ering.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Think about the Wizard of Oz. The first part of that film was all tones (in brown or sepia) and the latter part was all color (and tone).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FallenRox|1305577789|2923339 said:

No apology necessary, we all need to learn. :)

I did know that by just working in photoshop for digital art pieces, but it's good to share the knowledge for anyone who might be reading.

I might have twisted that up there a bit unintentionally. The $7.00 stone was the second link I posted. I paid $70 for the 5+ Carat one, but I still don't feel like that's bad. And I am excited to work with Jerry. He will be the one to cut my stone. I haven't heard back from Dana on what he has in stock or had any follow up really after two exchanges. Nice guy, but yes, I feel more comfortable going to Jerry after having spoken to him several times.

Another question- I looked for a chart/link something that would show the depths of average cuts of all square/rectangle stones and didn't come up with anything useful. I know the ideal depth for an 8mm asscher from talking to Jerry, but what about an emerald cut or princess? Any insight there would be helpful as I'll likely need to have more than one stone cut for a couple different settings aside from my Ering.

Honestly, not to put Dana down, but I think you'll be really really happy with Jerry's cutting. $70 for a 5 carat stone isn't bad at all. Actually, Jerry can probably tell you the specifics of depth for any of those cuts.

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, not to put Dana down, but I think you'll be really really happy with Jerry's cutting. $70 for a 5 carat stone isn't bad at all. Actually, Jerry can probably tell you the specifics of depth for any of those cuts.

No, not at all, I just think he's busy right now =)
And yes, I will get back in touch with him on the stones I have and see what he thinks.

Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results