shape
carat
color
clarity

Window in BevK pink tourmaline - would this bug you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
So far I''ve posted only the most flattering photos of this ring, but here''s the behind-the-scenes truth: my Beverly K ring has a window, and it''s not even a symmetrical one. It doesn''t really show when I''m wearing it, but given how perfectly executed the setting is, it seems like a glaring flaw in contrast. Would this drive any of you nuts? Another unflattering pic to follow...

PTourmaline window1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here it is with a couple other pieces, and hey, they all look like they have windows!!!
14.gif
Fortunately, none are as bad IRL.

3 windows.JPG

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
I have a ring with a window. It didn''t bother me until I did all the reading on here about windows. I still wear it and enjoy it. I''m not sure what you paid for the ring, but perhaps you can someday change the stone if you are unhappy with it?
Can you post the link to the J. Rake sale? I can''t find it and I remember I looked a few weeks back at a ring.

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Actually, I think the pink tourmaline is the prettiest of the three you just posted :)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 3:47:19 PM
Author: joy2theworld
I have a ring with a window. It didn''t bother me until I did all the reading on here about windows. I still wear it and enjoy it. I''m not sure what you paid for the ring, but perhaps you can someday change the stone if you are unhappy with it?
Can you post the link to the J. Rake sale? I can''t find it and I remember I looked a few weeks back at a ring.
Here''s the link to the jewelry, but a lot of stuff is sold out. If you want Beverly K, I think only some of the earrings and pendants are left (and maybe the 8" bracelet): http://www.jrakeliquidationsale.com/jewelry.html

And you''re right, I guess I could change the stone someday...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 3:48:06 PM
Author: joy2theworld
Actually, I think the pink tourmaline is the prettiest of the three you just posted :)
I know, not so great of the other 2 pieces. That''s why this one didn''t make the cut in my original post.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I might be annoyed if I paid full price, but the fact is, you got it for a STEAL!! And the stone is beautiful in it''s own right. The window just makes it one of a kind.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
The ring is beautiful even with a window. I think that windows are pretty common in commercial jewelry.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have bought that setting just for the setting, and not the the stone. For what you paid, you got an absolute steal, and it should be very easy and economical to replace that round. It's a small enough stone, and you can easily find gorgeous well priced round colored gems from Dan, Barry and Gene, among others. I don't think the stone is "good enough" for that gorgeous setting.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s pretty even with the window--think of it as stained glass in a cathedral.

I love the way the three rings look together. The colors are so harmonious. I hope you wear them together sometimes.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
You''re right everyone, I DID get this ring for a song, and like TourmalineLover said, the price was fabulous even for just the setting. I''m not unhappy overall, I guess I''m just surprised they put this in a BevK setting.

ladymentha

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I am somewhat ignorant about this. So exactly are windows?
6.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The window would drive me insane. I think you could easily replace it, considering the price for the wonderful setting.

By the way, I was just browsing the sale and there are still some pendants available.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 4:36:27 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I would have bought that setting just for the setting, and not the the stone. For what you paid, you got an absolute steal, and it should be very easy and economical to replace that round. It''s a small enough stone, and you can easily find gorgeous well priced round colored gems from Dan, Barry and Gene, among others. I don''t think the stone is ''good enough'' for that gorgeous setting.

Ditto. The setting is way worth the great price you paid for it, Cellentani! And the tourmaline is a lovely color, and will still look great until the time you decide to replace it (if you do).
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to put a diamond in there. I love round diamonds in square halos.
31.gif

How big is the tourmaline - do you have a gauge, or do you know the carat weight?

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Um . . . well if it bothers you too much I''ll buy the ring from you so you don''t have to see the window anymore!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 7:40:28 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ditto. The setting is way worth the great price you paid for it, Cellentani! And the tourmaline is a lovely color, and will still look great until the time you decide to replace it (if you do).
1.gif
Thanks, BEG. I only really notice the window when I''m photographing it, and it''s off my finger. I wore it for the first time today, and never once noticed the window, so I''ll continue to wear it until I find a replacement. I did notice how white and sparkly it is, which makes my ER look dull and grey. In fact, I''m thinking about taking the ER to Quest to see if they can polish (thoroughly, not the 5-minute-while-you-wait job) and re-plate it. I told my DH and his eyes kinda glazed over, but I sweetened the deal by telling him it was close to some Korean markets.
2.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 5:43:00 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
The window would drive me insane. I think you could easily replace it, considering the price for the wonderful setting.

By the way, I was just browsing the sale and there are still some pendants available.
Yeah, I notice the window every time I pick it up now. But I like the color, and maybe if I ever switch it out, I could put Mr. Window in a closed-back setting to lessen the effect.

And hey, if you''re on the fence about any of those pendants, let me give you a push - the prices are fabulous!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I guess one wouldn''t be bothered if he/she doesn''t know anything about windows, but once you know what it is, you will keep looking for it to confirm. I hate when I can see the color of my own finger through the stone I am wearing - that will drive drive me crazy!

Secretly I have spot-checked the rings my coworkers are wearing. Whenever I see a color stone with a visible window, I felt sorry for the owner!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s pertty even with the window, but it might bother me just because the setting is so perfect. I have a ring with a window that I LOVE, but it was only $25 on ebay.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 7:53:36 PM
31.gif

How big is the tourmaline - do you have a gauge, or do you know the carat weight?
tourmaline_lover - you can put a diamond in my setting any time you want!!
9.gif
And no style-clash here - I love rounds in square halos too! Frankly, putting my rb in there has crossed my mind, but I''m afraid it''s too big at 7.1mm.

I don''t know the carat weight of the tourmaline, but it''s 6.48mm on my digital calipers.

And hey, since you''re the tourmaline guru, is the color of this tourmaline fairly average? If I look for another, should it be lighter/darker? I know it''s largely a matter of preference, but just wanted your thoughts.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 9:15:08 PM
Author: cellentani

Date: 2/13/2009 7:53:36 PM
31.gif

tourmaline_lover - you can put a diamond in my setting any time you want!!
9.gif
And no style-clash here - I love rounds in square halos too! Frankly, putting my rb in there has crossed my mind, but I''m afraid it''s too big at 7.1mm.

I don''t know the carat weight of the tourmaline, but it''s 6.48mm on my digital calipers.

And hey, since you''re the tourmaline guru, is the color of this tourmaline fairly average? If I look for another, should it be lighter/darker? I know it''s largely a matter of preference, but just wanted your thoughts.
I do see some brown in that stone from your pictures, and it does look a bit murky. I would look for a stone with as little brown or grey modifier as possible for your budget. It''s getting more and more difficult to find vivid tourmalines though. I don''t know if you ever saw my pink/red tourmaline round in the colored stone eyecandy thread. It would give you an idea of a more vivid color without the secondary brown modifier. It''s also in my gallery images as the bottom ring on my finger. That color may or may not appeal to you though.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
This forum has really bad influence on me!!! (especially on my wallet)

After reading about the steal from this sale, I ordered the Beverly K blue sapphire earrings, totally impulsive. Can't wait to get my hands on them anyway.
4.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 9:10:20 PM
Author: yingh
I guess one wouldn't be bothered if he/she doesn't know anything about windows, but once you know what it is, you will keep looking for it to confirm. I hate when I can see the color of my own finger through the stone I am wearing - that will drive drive me crazy!

Secretly I have spot-checked the rings my coworkers are wearing. Whenever I see a color stone with a visible window, I felt sorry for the owner!
I know what you mean, yingh - I have a 9mm aqua asscher that has a huuuge window. I still wear it though... Good thing is, no matter how bright the light is, I can't see through to my finger when I'm wearing the tourmaline. That's funny about your co-workers; if only they new.
9.gif

ETA: Just saw you got the earrings!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
You know we'll be waiting for pics!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 8:02:04 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
Um . . . well if it bothers you too much I''ll buy the ring from you so you don''t have to see the window anymore!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Did you ever hear back from Tamarah?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You bought that BK ring at a phenominal price which we''ll probably never see again. Your setting is worth so much more that what you paid, plus I''m sure the window isn''t noticeable once it''s worn so I''ll leave it for now. If it continues to bother you, then I''d change out the stone at a later date. Pink tourmalines are farily inexpensive stones and easy to source.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 9:23:50 PM

I do see some brown in that stone from your pictures, and it does look a bit murky. I would look for a stone with as little brown or grey modifier as possible for your budget. It''s getting more and more difficult to find vivid tourmalines though. I don''t know if you ever saw my pink/red tourmaline round in the colored stone eyecandy thread. It would give you an idea of a more vivid color without the secondary brown modifier. It''s also in my gallery images as the bottom ring on my finger. That color may or may not appeal to you though.
Yes, it does have a fair amount of brown (dang, you and your good eyes!!) It''s most brown in incandescent light, and quite vivid and bright in fluorescent.

Just checked out your gallery. Now that''s a pink tourmaline!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 5:26:28 PM
Author: ladymentha
Sorry, I am somewhat ignorant about this. So exactly are windows?
6.gif
LadyM,
A window in a gemstone is exactly just like a real window. It''s when you can see through the stone to see what''s behind it. If there is print behind a windowed stone, you''ll be able to read the words. It is the area where the colour is different and significantly lighter. The size of the window depends on the reflective index of the stone and the cutting. If the angle is too shallow or the gemstone is cut too shallow, then the gemstone is more likely to show a large window.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 9:49:43 PM

Date: 2/13/2009 9:23:50 PM

Yes, it does have a fair amount of brown (dang, you and your good eyes!!) It''s most brown in incandescent light, and quite vivid and bright in fluorescent.

Just checked out your gallery. Now that''s a pink tourmaline!
Celli,
Yes, your tourmaline does have some brown but it isn''t the end of the world. It only means it''s time to shop for a REAL pink tourmaline.
31.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 9:49:43 PM

Yes, it does have a fair amount of brown (dang, you and your good eyes!!) It's most brown in incandescent light, and quite vivid and bright in fluorescent.

Just checked out your gallery. Now that's a pink tourmaline!
Unfortunately, most pink tourmaline suffers from brown secondary modifiers in incandescent light. You will know it's a good pink if it keeps it's color in all light. Also if you are going to look for a pink tourmaline, you should get it from a faceter. Most pink tourmaline that goes through Thai and Brazilian cutting centers will be heated to colorless and than irradiated to hot pink. It's good to get a stone from someone who had the rough since they do not irradiate the material in the rough stage.

Thanks for the kind words on my tourmaline.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results