color
clarity

Winding up 2014....Wishing for 2015

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed|1417076130|3791141 said:
Okay so I did say I was done for 2014.

But I accidentally just bought this: am pleased, adore the colour, it's untreated (certified) and is an ideal size for me. Made Jeff an offer and I'd pay double for the same stone here in the UK so feeling quite like a bargain. 1.45ct.

I know what you meant, re: easily paying double for gemstones in UK.

Any idea how it is going to be set?

DK :))

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
It's crazy isn't it..Even if customs "catch it" it'd still be cheaper. When my jeweller got me in a line up of sapphy's to see last year, a 1ct round in the same colour was 700. . . I paid 350 gbp for this. Fingers crossed it's a keeper. Really can't be arsed with shipping back.

I'm almost certain ill set it like a suggestion that was made for the tourmaline on my other thread. Going to lift some of the diamonds from another ring for the shoulders.

As for the tourm, I can't find a setting I love and as I really love it I don't want to rush it so I think the sapphire will be set first.

screenshot_2014-11-11-18-15-51.png

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow beautiful stones! This is definitely some 2015 inspiration!

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
I'll play! I bought more than I thought in 2014. Actually, when I looked back at receipts some of these were from 2013. :p

I didn't set any stones in 2014, though there were jewelry projects.

Purchased in 2014 (all grouped to make it easy):

• 0.27 carat honey-colored opal (5.31 x 5.27 mm radiant trillian)
  • 1.2 carat color shift (purple/ gray-green) sapphire (6.5x5.7mm cushion)
  • 1.83 carat near-colorless spinel (7x6.5mm oval) (2013)
  • 2.4 carat yellow chrysoberyl (9.9x7.5mm octagon)
  • 1.6 carat mint Montana sapphire (7.9x6mm chubby marquise, also 2013)

Good for scale, but bad for color accuracy. You'll have to take my word for it that the stones look a lot better in real life and in better photography conditions. Upon review, both the mint sapphire and near-colorless spinel (it has a light pink color under incandescent light) were actually purchased in 2013. Whoops!

Plans in 2015 are all for settings, as I've gathered a lot of stones I've liked but have only set two stones. My top priorities are the three stones on the bottom of the picture above. I don't have a solid idea for the opal because it's so small, and the purple color-shifter is also hard for me to place.
The big chrysoberyl in the picture above I've asked janish to set in a ring (18k yellow gold bezel on a narrow 14k yellow gold band). The mint marquise sapphire I want to set in rose gold-- I was thinking about an art-deco style filigree mount, but haven't made up my mind. I really prefer elongated stones set east-west, and that's hard to find in that style. The near-colorless spinel I also want set in yellow gold, some sort of pretty east-west split-shank.

Here's the other stones I have plans to set in 2015.

The big cabachon chalcedony on the top of the picture (32.34 carats, 25.2x18.1 mm) I have asked janish to set in a sterling-silver gallery bezel pendant (neither of the janish projects are intended to be started until after the holidays). The light blue sapphire (emerald cut, 1.84 carat, 7.5x6mm) I see in some sort of elegant rose-gold ring-- I'm imagining the flanking baguette style that I think looks so good with rectangular stones. The feldgrau tourmaline (1.75 carat, I think it's about 7.5 mm round) I think in a platinum or palladium ring-- I really like the unusual gray-green color, and think it would be minimized if I set it in rose gold. I haven't settled on the type of setting yet, but not bezeled.

img_2672c.jpg

img_2676c.jpg

img_1320c.jpg

img_6137.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
This year I set my blue sapphire and bought a Jeff Davies amethyst. Next year I'm hoping to really build my CS collection.

I'm hoping for:
Spess
Big amethyst cab with blue flashes
Black opal
Red/raspberry spinel

CirrusClouds

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm loving this thread, lol.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oops - forgot to mention my current holy grail stone - an orangey pink spinel. Light tone but well saturated. Sigh...

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Rose bloom.. pics of your sapph please!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really know what I'm hoping for for next year. Didn't do too much this year - bought a few small things, mostly earrings, and then my pear spinel. I'm still indecisive over my spinel setting, but maybe I'll be able to figure it out and do that next year. I have been sketching out a few ideas lately. I thought I wanted just a pave halo like the Chrono and BrightIce rings but I don't know! How many pave halo pear pink spinel rings does PS really need? There was a stone I really wanted that I was thinking of buying but it just got bought and I feel kicked in the stomach. So now I'm hoping it gets returned, lol.

Hmm okay I'll make a list anyway of things I hope for:
1. Another blue sapphire. You know these lil guys are my loves. This one would be either for a pendant, or really brilliantly blue to set in a yellow gold bezel for a "I'm doing something too messy for pave" e-ring.
2. An asscher something. I love that asscher chrysoberyl, could also be anything light enough to see the steps and durable enough for a ring. At least 7.5mm cause I like my step cut stones huge.
3. To set my pear spinel
4. more stones for my secret project that will probably take me a billion years to actually do

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1416351071|3785989 said:
Acinom|1415295398|3778645 said:
In 2014 I discovered colored stones due to PS! I have been on a roll and have two projects coming up. After that I will be so banned for 2014!

Soo... Two projects have now morphed into three :razz:
I have added a green cab Paraiba to the party. Dear fellow PSers are helping me in deciding how to set it. There are so many great options.
And... I might also add something green/blue along the way. Yay!

I love this 'confession thread' :twisted:
A green-blue tourmaline has been added to my 2014 collection. It's a 7.8 ct stone cut by Gene from Precision Gem

_24832.jpg

_24833.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I was REALLY, REALLY done for the year. But I guess I found a few pennies underneath the sofa... :naughty: :naughty:
Gosh, I really have to put my foot down in 2015 and take a break!! :o :o

Just got these babies to round out my collection!! Maybe I'll even get them before Christmas, if the USPS gods are in a good mood.

Marlborough chrysoprase 14.11 ct untreated 21.2 mm x 14.2 mm x 7.3 mm
il_570xn_108.jpg

I also just purchased a 1.96tcw parcel of untreated Muzo emeralds. They don't have the saturation of top emeralds, they seem to be a lighter minty color, but I like how they look in the photo and the price was decent. I think they might be perfect for a fun necklace project I want to do in 2015. (Also, I realized I have CS from Asia, Australia, Africa and North America but not South America -- so obviously it was time to rectify that lack! Only Europe to go.. :lol: :lol: )
24795.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great haul Mochiko :appl:
That chrysoprase is especially amazing. Great color.

S

SparkliesLuver

mochiko, your emeralds remind me of this parcel from Gary. :) Lovely! Can't wait to see what you do with them.

5115924.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mochiko42|1417598208|3794378 said:
(Also, I realized I have CS from Asia, Australia, Africa and North America but not South America -- so obviously it was time to rectify that lack! Only Europe to go.. :lol: :lol: )

I love the chrysoprase. It looks quite glowy, too.

How about a hauyne? That would be a lovely, very Europe specific gem.

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Got some gem holders and managed to get some muchhhh better snaps. Looking forward to adding my new sapphy when it arrives. Thought I'd add them since my earlier contribution to this thread was rubbish!

20141203_0.jpg

20141203_105903.jpg

20141203_105414.jpg

20141203_105552.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed|1417617992|3794487 said:
Got some gem holders and managed to get some muchhhh better snaps. Looking forward to adding my new sapphy when it arrives. Thought I'd add them since my earlier contribution to this thread was rubbish!

Be careful with those gem holders, they tend to chip stones.

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Bummer.

I won't use them again then. Boohoo. Twas fun.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for links and pics of Sharon's prehnite jewelry!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed, I love your photos and your jewels. Beautiful, especially all together.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed|1417617992|3794487 said:

I love the colors of your stones. They go very well together, and would look lovely as a stack!! :naughty: :naughty:

SparkliesLuver said:
mochiko, your emeralds remind me of this parcel from Gary. :) Lovely! Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Ooh, those are very pretty emeralds by Gary. Were those from a while ago? I never saw them on his site or must have missed them somehow.

Lady_Disdain said:
How about a hauyne? That would be a lovely, very Europe specific gem.

I hadn't heard of hauyne before.. Thanks for mentioning it, I learned something new today. The color looks amazing, and I find the connection to Somma / Mt Vesuvius so fascinating :))

Acinom said:
Great haul Mochiko :appl:
That chrysoprase is especially amazing. Great color.
I have my fingers crossed that it also has a nice glow in real life. I'm on a real cabochon kick lately, it seems. Two out of my recent three purchases have been cabs. ;-)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's it, this one is the final one for 2014, no more, honest!

JD's precision cut pink Spinel:
jdpinkspinelps1612.jpg

DK :bigsmile:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
dk168|1417658638|3794855 said:
That's it, this one is the final one for 2014, no more, honest!

JD's precision cut pink Spinel:
jdpinkspinelps1612.jpg

LOL DK! Your collection is rapidly expanding. I've been pretty bad too, I think I've bought 8 or so inexpensive stones from him over the last few weeks. I've had to self impose a ban, the auctions are so fun and addictive! Please post photos when this arrives - I'd love to see the colour of your spinal IRL - looks gorgeous!

S

SparkliesLuver

mochiko42 said:
Ooh, those are very pretty emeralds by Gary. Were those from a while ago? I never saw them on his site or must have missed them somehow.

They're still there, mochiko. :naughty: It was from his latest drop. I could have sworn they were sold at one point but not now! $750

http://www.finewatergems.com/new-gemstones.html

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My revised wish list for 2015, as I need to be realistic about what I can spare on jewellery:

17mm+ Danburite by Jeff White, custom cut, either round or step cut, still to be decided
10-11mm approx. trillion cut blue Zircon by JW

And if there are pennies to spare, I shall badger Gene or Jeff W for a green tourmaline about 10mm in a square cushion.

Could someone please stop me from buying from Jeff Davies please? :roll: :lol:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1418129511|3798174 said:
My revised wish list for 2015, as I need to be realistic about what I can spare on jewellery:

17mm+ Danburite by Jeff White, custom cut, either round or step cut, still to be decided
10-11mm approx. trillion cut blue Zircon by JW

And if there are pennies to spare, I shall badger Gene or Jeff W for a green tourmaline about 10mm in a square cushion.

Could someone please stop me from buying from Jeff Davies please? :roll: :lol:

Ha! :twisted: quite an impressive list for someone who has a HUGE number of setting projects to be done, whahahaha :lol:

You can pick from this selection if you have the spare pennies. No 5 is 3.3 ct square cushion :naughty:

_25044.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the estimated final shape and ct weights of tourmaline #1 through #4?

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:

I believe Acinom's stone came from #1, but here are the rest.

2. Square cushion 11.4 ct
3. Rectangular cushion 13.5 ct
4. Square cushion 9.2 ct
5. Square cushion 3.3 ct

Oh, and there's a 6th piece of rough which I believe was a rectangular cushion at 3.3 ct.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1418150891|3798364 said:
Chrono said:

I believe Acinom's stone came from #1, but here are the rest.

2. Square cushion 11.4 ct
3. Rectangular cushion 13.5 ct
4. Square cushion 9.2 ct
5. Square cushion 3.3 ct

Oh, and there's a 6th piece of rough which I believe was a rectangular cushion at 3.3 ct.

Please note that the carat weigths might be estimated on the lower side. My stone was indeed cut from rough no 1: initially estimated at 5.3 ct but it came out at 7.8 ct.

Here is piece no 6:

_25046.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results