shape
carat
color
clarity

Will VCA earrings hold their value?

Gatorsmom

Rough_Rock
Hi! I'm a jewelry-obsessed new member and this is my first post. I'm new to this jewelry- buying business and was hoping some of you aficionados could help me. My DH would like to buy me a nice mothers' day present and I've been drooling over these: http://www.vancleefarpels.com/content/vca/us/usa/en/home/collections/jewelry/flying-beauties/oiseaux-de-paradis/vcarn9p900-nid-de-paradis-earstuds.html I love them but my DH is afraid they will lose value because there is such a high markup on jewelry. I argued that because they come from a well- known jeweler they won't lose value. Who is right?

And I'd like to ask if you had the chance would you buy them? Or would you buy something else for that amount? TIA!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a bit of a trick question and I'm hoping someone will come along who can answer it better than I can.

Yes, they will hold some value because they are VC&A and if you ever sell them you would get more than you would with non-name brand.

No, because you're paying more for name brand to begin with so even though you'd get more, the percentage of what you're getting may be the same or similar when compared to non-name brand jewellery which cost less. Unless it's a very special, one-off, highly coveted piece of jewellery you will never be able to sell them for what you spent on them through a retail store. This is a great thread talking about some of the problems with people expecting diamonds to hold the value of what they paid retail for them [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/freakonomics-diamond-auction.212418/#post-3864213#p3864213']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/freakonomics-diamond-auction.212418/#post-3864213#p3864213[/URL]

If they're your style, you like VC&A, and they are want you want there's no reason not to get them. No piece of jewellery will hold the value you pay at retail, high mark up or not, simply because as an individual you cannot get the price a trusted retailer can charge. Want those earrings, get those earrings.

For $10,900 for me personally I'd get as close to 2ctw diamond studs as I could. You should be able to get around 1.6 - 2ctw for non-name branded earrings. A very quick search as WF found 1.8ctw in platinum baskets for your budget. Do you already have studs?

Gatorsmom

Rough_Rock
Rhea|1429774473|3866290 said:
For $10,900 for me personally I'd get as close to 2ctw diamond studs as I could. You should be able to get around 1.6 - 2ctw for non-name branded earrings. A very quick search as WF found 1.8ctw in platinum baskets for your budget. Do you already have studs?

I don't have nice diamond studs, no. But I see so many people wearing fake diamond studs around that I wanted something a little more unique. This pair, with the tiny diamond that hangs on the end and the swirls of diamonds is small enough to wear everyday but very unique. And, of course, they fit in my price range. That was my reasoning for choosing them.

You'll have to forgive me. I've been lurking on this forum but still don't know the lingo. When you say you did a quick search as WF, what does WF mean?

Thanks for your help!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gatorsmom|1429792848|3866361 said:
Rhea|1429774473|3866290 said:

I don't have nice diamond studs, no. But I see so many people wearing fake diamond studs around that I wanted something a little more unique. This pair, with the tiny diamond that hangs on the end and the swirls of diamonds is small enough to wear everyday but very unique. And, of course, they fit in my price range. That was my reasoning for choosing them.

You'll have to forgive me. I've been lurking on this forum but still don't know the lingo. When you say you did a quick search as WF, what does WF mean?

Thanks for your help!

They are certainly unique and quite pretty. No reason not to if they fit what you're looking for!

Forgive my typo, that should read at WF with WF being White Flash. www.whiteflash.com

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Welcome! What lovely earrings! :love:

I think the other issue to consider is the quality of the pieces you will be purchasing--and VCA has beautifully executed pieces. They would be a pleasure to own.

Let us know what you decide.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results