shape
carat
color
clarity

Will Tiffany service a second hand ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I know you guys don''t like Tiffany''s, but I was wondering if they will do the re-sizing and polishing if I''m not the original owner? There is a certificate with the registration number and all, but no receipt. Anyone have any experience with that?

I have just found a deal I cannot refuse... the entire ring (plat w/ .50 sidestones) is selling for less than the center stone alone with any of the vendors here, and it scores a .7 on the HCA!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Why do you have to tell them you''re not the original owner?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if they require something with the recipient''s name?

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Why not call Tiffany''s and ask them?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never dealt with a ring before, but girlfriends with silver jewelry they need serviced have no trouble. They just look at the hallmark and make sure it looks authentic.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2004 4:49:44 PM
Author: lmurden
Why not call Tiffany''s and ask them?

I guess I was embarassed and hoped someone here can help me first... but I did call and they said I just have to bring the ring in. However, the sizing will be a problem because they might not be able to go from a 5.5 to a 3.25 w/o remounting it, and that might cost a bit more.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Buy it anyway and wear it on your thumb!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
haha, i wish i had that much spare money for a thumb ring! But this is a really good deal... the center stone goes for about $3600+ here on pricescope, not including the platinum setting and .5ct pear sides... and it''s being sold by someone in need for $3500. Should I get it???
emteeth.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hm. Well it certainly will be harder to pretend it was originally yours if you''re sizing down instead of up.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Maybe they''ll just think i lost about 30lbs? Is that even possible? There are practically no scratches so i can sorta pass it as new...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hm. You''re right! I usually see the opposite but lots of people do lose weight!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I don''t see why you couldn''t have inherited it from Great Aunt Petunia, a stout & affectionate woman who loved her favorite niece. Perhaps it was given to Aunt Petunia by a mysterious admirer; that would explain why you don''t have the receipt.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another thought--have the original owner take it to be resized before giving it to you.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Do you guys think it''s a good deal tho?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
they said it wont be a problem and i''d rather have them measure my finger with their tools because it varies from place to place. Now my main concern is whether I need it or not!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
How big is the stone? Color/clarity? I suppose if the center stone alone is worth that much and you love the setting then it''s a good deal.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
it's Ideal cut (.7 HCA), 0.86 G, Vs1 center... .25 each G, VS pear sides. It looks HUGE on my finger... spans all the way across!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

Well, you certainly couldn''t get a new Tiffany for that price!!!!

Guess you can''t buy it with an evaluation period, could you? That way you can show it to Tiffany and make sure they can do it before you commit.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2004 6
6.gif
5:33 PM
Author: Hest88

Well, you certainly couldn''t get a new Tiffany for that price!!!!

Guess you can''t buy it with an evaluation period, could you? That way you can show it to Tiffany and make sure they can do it before you commit.

I know!!! I can''t even get a ring like that for that price here!

The person selling it is in desperate need of money so they wont give a return, but will accompany me to Tiffany''s so I can be sure it''s authentic. I guess I just need to figure out if it''s worth the hassle of getting remounted.... wonder how much that would cost?

michela002

Shiny_Rock
From what I''ve seen, Tiffanys is more than happy to help if the item is real. If its real Tiffanys I don''t think you''ll have a problem, I don''t see why they would even ask whether you were the original owner. Just tell them what you want done and see if they can do it. Make sure its genuine, but if it is, I''d definitely go for it!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Man, i just depleted my jewelry fund on a car ... do I really need another ring?
11.gif
Ring or Alaskan Cruise, Ring or Alaskan Cruise...
14.gif
I need a raise!

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
Or say that the ring is being passed down to you...they''ll assume it''s an heirloom. Even Tiffany''s has to be happy that their products hae become heirlooms, right?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i own two schlumberger pieces that i bought second hand --they ve both been polished checked etc --no questions asked

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2004 6:39:46 PM
Author: ForteKitty
Man, i just depleted my jewelry fund on a car ... do I really need another ring?
11.gif
Ring or Alaskan Cruise, Ring or Alaskan Cruise...
14.gif
I need a raise!

Hmmmmm....Need..... I''ve never been able to convince DH that diamonds were anywhere in Maslov''s heirarchy of needs!

9.gif
(Trust me I''ve tried tho....)

It sounds like a good deal. it''s just a matter of priorities and choices. I would have the owner go with you to have it checked out to make sure you are really getting what they say it is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results