shape
carat
color
clarity

Will this diamond sparkle?

PinkPrincess17

Rough_Rock
GIA report attached.
Will this diamond have decent sparkle? Is it an okay diamond? I have a high suspicion my boyfriend ordered this diamond to use in a Tacori band. this lab diamond.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not one I would choose. You want to score less than 2 on the HCA and get Excellent in Light Return, Fire, and Scintillation. Are you still able to switch out the diamond at this point?

HCA.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Short answer: potentially.

Long answer: the way GIA performs gross rounding for each of the measurements means that a 41.2° PA paired with a steeper 35° CA could be a recipe for some level of light leakage.
There's an inverse relationship that should be adhered to: when the crown angle gets steeper, then the pavilion angle should get a bit more shallow. 40.6-40.8°, maybe even as steep as 40.9° for the PA would be best for a 35° CA.
Symmetry and light return can be easily gauged with either an Ideal-Scope or ASET.

PinkPrincess17

Rough_Rock
It's not one I would choose. You want to score less than 2 on the HCA and get Excellent in Light Return, Fire, and Scintillation. Are you still able to switch out the diamond at this point?

HCA.jpg

Unfortunately I'm pretty certain he already took it to get it set into the Tacori setting. Do you think this ring will still manage to sparkle and look okay for a 1.30 carat?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Sadly you may already be clouded by the idea of the stone not being ideal which is a shame as you may be pleasantly surprised when you see it in real life. 1.3ct is going to be more forgiving than a larger stone that isn't number perfect.

I'd let your lovely boyfriend just go ahead with his plans. If when you receive the ring it is VERY obvious to you that it's under performing in all lighting condistions, then have a quiet word with him and ask if you can pick a new stone together.

PinkPrincess17

Rough_Rock
Sadly you may already be clouded by the idea of the stone not being ideal which is a shame as you may be pleasantly surprised when you see it in real life. 1.3ct is going to be more forgiving than a larger stone that isn't number perfect.

I'd let your lovely boyfriend just go ahead with his plans. If when you receive the ring it is VERY obvious to you that it's under performing in all lighting condistions, then have a quiet word with him and ask if you can pick a new stone together.

Thank you for this. I have been going crazy researching this diamond and seeing all the information that leads me to think this won't be a great diamond and am getting very discouraged before he has even proposed.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for this. I have been going crazy researching this diamond and seeing all the information that leads me to think this won't be a great diamond and am getting very discouraged before he has even proposed.

Wait until you see it. It's a VVS, so no inclusions that'll inhibit transparency to worry about. It's also HPHT, which I consider less risky. It has the foundation to be a great diamond! The proportions and angles may not fall into the super-strict ranges that are usually recommended, but that absolutely doesn't mean that it won't be a stunning performer. Heck, the recommended ranges don't guarantee anything but simply help minimize the risk of performance issues, but there are no guarantees that the ranges will outright eliminate any risks...that's where an Ideal-Scope or ASET comes into play.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That site ticks me off every time I see it for the misuse of the term super ideal on diamonds that clearly are not by commonly accepted meanings of the words.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
That site has ticked me off for years with their weekly emails of "rare, precious and vintage jewelry." Most of it was bent and wanked out and all of it over priced. They would photoshop the rings on the model's hand to look larger that they really were. If you can't be truthful, why should I give you my money?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
@PinkPrincess17 As you can see, we're not big fans of Brilliant Earth but pleeeeese don't be disheartened. Your stone may not be technically Miss World, but give it a chance. I say this because in your situation, it's more important for you to enjoy the moment. The ring may just dazzle you perfectly fine.

My engagement ring is a .3 carat (G VS1) sweetheart that I wasn't expecting so I fell in love immediately. I didn't feel the need to upgrade (I still don't!) but with a blessedly healthier financial situation, I'm satisfying my diamond needs myself 20+ years later.

In short, if you don't think your fiance-to-be will be at all offended, and is a pragmatic sort, then feel free to broach the idea of getting a better stone once you see the ring and are 100% sure that you can find a better stone. If however he's a sensitive soul, give the ring a chance and see how you feel.

PinkPrincess17

Rough_Rock
@PinkPrincess17 As you can see, we're not big fans of Brilliant Earth but pleeeeese don't be disheartened. Your stone may not be technically Miss World, but give it a chance. I say this because in your situation, it's more important for you to enjoy the moment. The ring may just dazzle you perfectly fine.

My engagement ring is a .3 carat (G VS1) sweetheart that I wasn't expecting so I fell in love immediately. I didn't feel the need to upgrade (I still don't!) but with a blessedly healthier financial situation, I'm satisfying my diamond needs myself 20+ years later.

In short, if you don't think your fiance-to-be will be at all offended, and is a pragmatic sort, then feel free to broach the idea of getting a better stone once you see the ring and are 100% sure that you can find a better stone. If however he's a sensitive soul, give the ring a chance and see how you feel.

Thank you for this!! I have been so stressed out after reading so many articles and seeing what different people consider to be ideal diamonds. I have been so anxious as to whether this diamond will sparkle and look good.
I know he got it set in this Simply Tacori setting: https://www.tacori.com/engagement-ring-simply-tacori-2679rd/ and hate to tell him that the diamond he decided on isn't ideal.
I love your Miss World comparison lol.

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for this!! I have been so stressed out after reading so many articles and seeing what different people consider to be ideal diamonds. I have been so anxious as to whether this diamond will sparkle and look good.
I know he got it set in this Simply Tacori setting: https://www.tacori.com/engagement-ring-simply-tacori-2679rd/ and hate to tell him that the diamond he decided on isn't ideal.

What they said! My engagement ring diamond was chosen by my husband and he went through so many to pick the one he liked best, and I love it for that reason. And it’s a beautiful stone! it’s a 1ct princess cut that sparkles wonderfully. I have never looked at it under an ASET scope, and don’t even know the specs off the top of my head. I did recently get a 10 year upgrade ring but I will never get rid of the other stone because that’s the one he chose.

HerefortheBling

Shiny_Rock

That setting is gorgeous!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
PinkPrincess17, my uneducated opinion - Listen to monipod and DejaWiz. I predict your diamond will be lovely and if it's not the best one on the planet, you'll have to sit next to the best one and side by side compare.
I think you're going to gasp when you see it.
No one sets an average cut in a setting like that.

Send us photos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results