shape
carat
color
clarity

Will the Underside of My Diamond Get Damaged by a New Band?

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
Hoping to pick the brains of the PS experts! I have the Ritani Endless Love engagement ring and wedding band. To celebrate our anniversary, DH has graciously allowed me to pick out a second wedding band to wear on the other side of my engagement ring. I want something totally different and don't want to buy another Endless Love band, so after looking at A LOT of styles across the internet, I decided the front-runner is this Simon G. Duchess band, style TR473 in platinum https://www.simongjewelry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/TR473_engagement-band_main_500.jpg.

When I went to try on the band at a local store, the height of it was a bit greater than my Ritani set, in addition to being a ring size larger than my normal size which could have also contributed to looking higher, and I am worried that the higher band could damage the underside of my diamond (pictures of my wedding set are attached).

I think I saw online somewhere that the band height of the Simon G. was 2.89mm--not sure though. See where my regular wedding band gives enough clearance in the pavillion area?

Do I need to worry about this possible new band causing a chip or damaging my diamond? Thanks!

septembergirl_profile1.jpg

septembergirl_profile2.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Will the Underside of My Diamond Get Damaged by a New Ba

It's more likely the diamond would damage the band. I think that is still enough room for them to be fine though.

Side note: If you want something totally different - why would you get something that looks almost identical, just slightly higher?

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock

telephone89|1459283735|4012662 said:
It's more likely the diamond would damage the band. I think that is still enough room for them to be fine though.

Side note: If you want something totally different - why would you get something that looks almost identical, just slightly higher?

Thanks! Not sure what you mean by looking almost identical because the Simon G. looks nothing like my existing wedding band.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You need to have a band that is the same height and ring size as your other rings or it probably won't look right and might damage the e-ring. A wider band will work best at the bottom of the three rings, too. That would be the only way it could work...e-ring, then Ritani wedding band in the middle, and Simon G band at the bottom. That way the SG hopefully wouldn't touch the e-ring at all. Still best to have them the same height, though.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

septembergirl|1459283882|4012663 said:
telephone89|1459283735|4012662 said:

Thanks! Not sure what you mean by looking almost identical because the Simon G. looks nothing like my existing wedding band.
The 2 photos you show look very similar, one is just sideways? It sounded like 'see the way this band leaves more room?' is leading into a picture of your wedding band. Unless they are just the same band in the photos? Anyways, doesn't really matter haha.

eta - okay I'm just dumb. I thought you were comparing the 2 photos. Anyways, I do not know how much room you'll have so can't make a statement. Apologies, I thought you were looking at the 2 photos as separate ones! If it is going to rub (and not have the space that your current one does), I'd rethink.

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock

I appreciate the advice, especially about rearranging the order of the rings on my finger. I need to try and get back to the store this weekend, if possible, to take a closer and more careful look at how the Simon G. sits against the Ritani and of course take a pic too.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

If it might rub, would a 1mm spacer band help? I know a lot of PSers have them from various Etsy sellers, and they prevent damage to both rings.

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock

rubybeth|1459342650|4013052 said:
If it might rub, would a 1mm spacer band help? I know a lot of PSers have them from various Etsy sellers, and they prevent damage to both rings.

I hadn't thought of that and thank you! After reading your post, I searched for pics here on PS and I'm on the fence about the look, mainly because my Ritani set is already on the thin side. However, I'm not ruling it out as an option.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results