shape
carat
color
clarity

Will size stones make my center look bigger or smaller?

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
I have a 2.2 carat moval diamond solitaire. I got it set as a solitaire because I thought a “whisper thin” “floating” setting would make the stone appear larger.

However... I saw another ring that changed my mind! The center diamond on this one has nearly identical dimensions to my moval (slightly smaller and cushion shaped obviously) but looks HUGE in a way that I don’t think mine does.
B2355699-62BB-4E16-B79A-F10208502FAC.jpeg 2A5459DF-2E1C-42B5-8A11-1343615C5B0F.jpeg

What do you think? Should I add side stones to up the oomph?

My ring for reference: 69FD71B7-9011-4952-B63D-08FD057C31CA.jpeg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowsa, your diamond is absolutely incredibly beautiful and shows up elegant and blingy as a solitaire, but yes well-proportioned side-stones could complement and enhance your center stone ...

headlight

Ideal_Rock
As @marymm said, your ring is gorgeous, but if you feel it needs something "extra", side stones would be great. What about getting a little diamond band, instead?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful @AntiqueMovalGal :love: Truly. It's elegant, stately, and stunning - stone and setting work together perfectly. And it certainly looks LARGE on your finger to me!! I wouldn't change a single thing ::)

What about a diamond band or two for extra sparkly days as @headlight suggests?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think your stone looks beautiful and big as a solitaire and with slender fingers, it's enough. I think side stones are great for more coverage and enhancement but won't necessarily make the centre stone look bigger.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A solitaire focuses the attention on the diamond and make it "pop", but with a 3 stone, because of the coverage across the finger, the wall of bling look makes the whole ring look more substantial and blingy overall.

Have you tried on something similar to see if you prefer the 3 stone look? I have also seen jewelers clip side stones via temp ring holders onto a center stone to better help customers visualize the effect.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Better photo of my ring for reference... 4EBB6FC6-34EF-45D8-8718-B6C01B2D33A4.jpeg

Would side stones dwarf and detract from the center or make the center look larger?

I think your moval is gorgeous! I have chubby fingers and had mine set East-west with a halo to maximize coverage. I would keep yours they way it is. I wish I could pull that off!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow your Moval is Movalicious :kiss2:
I love it both ways. As a solitaire it is the star of the show but with the sidetones it is stunning too. Which way do you love it more? Either way you cannot go wrong. :appl:

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I love your ring as is too! So beautiful. If you decide to get sides I’d make sure they are dainty and not overpower that gorgeous center you have.

Abby_Lia

Rough_Rock
Wow. Your ring is beautiful!!! I believe a single thin band makes a circular (round/oval) diamond appear larger. I looooove a really skinny band. Personally, I wouldn’t mess with perfection. The center stone you have is gorgeous and it is a beautiful ring. I don’t think side stones would “enhance” the look in any way.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i disagree that the 3 stone looks huge in a way yours doesn't....from your photos your ring looks pretty huge on your hand! your ring is beautiful, but if you want the sidestones for the aesthetic, go for it. i don't know if it will give a perception of more size though

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Solitaires are not my favorite so I’m always team three stone but I think it’s more about the look you like, not what looks bigger. Your diamond is gorgeous!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make it look bigger? Probably not. That is why people go for halos. It gives the illusion of a bigger center stone.

Personally I LOVE your ring exactly as is!! And I think it looks plenty big!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I absolutely love this, your stone is out of this world gorgeous.

This is very subjective. I am always team 3 stone because I love them and currently I am really really into them. Yes they offer a lot of coverage and horizontally which makes every hand look better or even nicer. It is a very flattering look. If you make the sides accent stones and small then I find they emphasize your center instead of taking the attention away from it.

I also love East West halos but not for your stone. Either leave as is or if you are not 100 % happy then go 3 stone! A lot of care should go into choosing the sides. I do believe that would be gorgeous but this is entirely up to you.

Lalola44

Rough_Rock
I LOVE your ring, it's definitely one of my faves on PS! But I completely get where you're coming from with wondering whether or not to add a little sparkle to a solitaire. I saw that elongated cushion from jewels by grace on her instagram and I was floored by how gorge it is. I say go for the sidestones, I love the proportions of that three stone cushion and I think your ring would look fabulous in a similar setting. Movals and skinny ovals with sidestones have such a cool, art deco vibe and it's just not a style you see very often

This one by Mark Broumand is gorge!
5155-1D136906_161_056_PLAT.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not buying side stones or a halo and putting that savings into the only diamond in the ring lets you buy a better diamond.

Last edited:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s an optical illusion obviously. I’ve got a 3 stone with a 2ctw center and a wrap for my 1ctw solitaire. In each the sidestones are colored stones and I love the look. Truth be told I think a solitaire looks bigger.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Love Movals! Never seen one in real life but I love looking at them.

I think the spread of the 3-stone does add to the appearance. Also the optical illusion of north/south maybe makes the moval look smaller than it actually is? Because it’s slender and so are your fingers? Have you considered setting it solitaire but east/west?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've loved that ring since you got it. I wouldn't change a thing. I think sides could well make it appear smaller. If you *do* add sides, tho, I'd be adding pears. I find the tapered baguettes abrupt compared to the curves of your gorgeous oval. Pears, on the other hand, would complement its shape and give it a greater sense of width.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing but a halo will make your center look larger. But I do love small accent sides to give a little more width to a slim center stone. I like the size sides on that first 3 stone you posted as well as the Vechler ring in the post above mine. Your ring is beautiful as is. But I'd consider small sides if it were mine. Like MrsB, I would also consider pears as well as the traps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results